Mixing Bodypart Programs?

Is it a bad idea to choose workout programs for each muscle group and do them on a split routine. What I mean is instead of doing a full program like HSS100 or 5x5 (just examples) would it be ok to pick and choose from different author’s muscle group workouts and put them together in a split?

Like this:

Mon: CT’s Legs
Tue: Waterbury’s chest

and so on…

Is this effective? A totally bad idea? Thanks!

What are your goals? How long have you been training?

It should not be a problem so long as you can simulate a training effect.

Bad idea, don’t mix and match choose one and stick with it.

sticking with a plan - any plan at this point - is the way to go. Don’t mix stuff, will not work as well.

I’d just pick a goal and do a program that caters to that goal.

If you have any questions, do ask.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
What are your goals? How long have you been training?

It should not be a problem so long as you can simulate a training effect.[/quote]

I NEED to gain as much lean muscle mass ASAP. I have been lifting off and on for 5 years but only been at it regularly for the past 6 months 4xwk religiously. I have been very lucky genetically and have always had a gym body without always being in the gym. Looking to train very intensely.

[quote]TheFlamingo wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:
I NEED to gain as much lean muscle mass ASAP.[/quote]

Or?..

Patience, young grasshopper. Rome was not built in a day. Some ways to get mass are faster than others, but, as they say in Russian, rush something, and you will face humiliation.

[quote]G87 wrote:
TheFlamingo wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:
I NEED to gain as much lean muscle mass ASAP.

Or?..

Patience, young grasshopper. Rome was not built in a day. Some ways to get mass are faster than others, but, as they say in Russian, rush something, and you will face humiliation. [/quote]

Huh?
Yes I get all of that. My question was simple. I wasn’t looking for weight lifting philosophy.
Fact is; I need to gain as much lean muscle mass as possible as soon as possible due to a medical condition, not due to lack of patience.

An author usually designs a particular program for a number of specific reasons. Everything is there for a purpose, so unless you fully understand the reason why a program is structured in a certain way, you are better off sticking to one routine.

CT strongly advises against ‘frankenstein’ routines, and Waterbury specializes in full body workouts. Not a good basis for a split, IMO.

Besides, a ‘patchwork’ routine cobbled together from various different methodologies is not going to make you gain muscle any faster.

[quote]TheFlamingo wrote:
Fact is; I need to gain as much lean muscle mass as possible as soon as possible due to a medical condition, not due to lack of patience. [/quote]

Well hey, whatever you do, make sure you don’t mention this in the first post, and definitely don’t clarify it any further. Because, like, that would only give us the whole picture.

And anyway, not even two weeks ago, you were loving Thib’s OVT program.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/comment_s_on_this_programworkout

What happened with that?

Regardless, mixing different programs isn’t a good idea unless you really know what you’re doing. You need to realize that coaches design programs, not workouts. Each separate piece is meant to fit together for a greater purpose.

You wouldn’t put a Ferrari engine in a Corvette body with Lamborghini wheels and expect it to be a supercar (or maybe you would, I’m totally not a car guy.) You get the point though.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
TheFlamingo wrote:
Fact is; I need to gain as much lean muscle mass as possible as soon as possible due to a medical condition, not due to lack of patience.

Well hey, whatever you do, make sure you don’t mention this in the first post, and definitely don’t clarify it any further. Because, like, that would only give us the whole picture.

And anyway, not even two weeks ago, you were loving Thib’s OVT program.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/comment_s_on_this_programworkout

What happened with that?

Regardless, mixing different programs isn’t a good idea unless you really know what you’re doing. You need to realize that coaches design programs, not workouts. Each separate piece is meant to fit together for a greater purpose.

You wouldn’t put a Ferrari engine in a Corvette body with Lamborghini wheels and expect it to be a supercar (or maybe you would, I’m totally not a car guy.) You get the point though.[/quote]

Point well taken!

OVT has been great and I do still enjoy and appreciate it very much. There is no doubt I have seen good results with OVT. However, the high volume is getting to be too much for me and I’m looking forward to a new program (I have 2 weeks left in OVT). I’ve already chosen CT’s HSS100 to follow up the program I’m on now.

I do understand the importance of sticking to a specifically designed program and I do/have. I was just curious about the patchwork thought.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I feel like I’ve gotten the answer.