T Nation

Mixing BCAA's (Not Dissolving)

I bought the bcaas and i have one of those gnc shaker cups (im in college) and when i put the bcaas in the cup and then water, it sticks everywhere and doesnt really dissovle in the water. i feel like i lose a lot of bcaas this way. Anyone have suggestions?

got a blender?

BCAAs suck at mixing. If there’s leftover residue after you’ve downed it, just fill it with some water again, shake it around, and drink again. Sometimes it takes me 3 times to swish everything out of there.

Stick 'em in your mouth.

Mix in lemon crystal lite. Keep it their for around an hour shaking it every 5 minutes. It will dissolve ;-).

The best way I’ve found is to throw a scoop into the back of your throat and chase with water. Not nearly as nasty as mixing with straight water and drinking.

I would say to mix it with your Surge, a protein shake or something like Crystal Light to make it more palatable, but you were asking about wasting it, so…

The only way I could get them to completely dissolve was to shake them up with Crystal Lite, throw ice in the Nalgene, and toss it in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Remove, shake again, and you’re good.

I discovered this because I was making a BCAA drink for a golf round out in the heat.

Real BCAA supplements don’t mix. So just figure out a way to get all of the product ingested and your good to grow.

Gerdy

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Real BCAA supplements don’t mix. So just figure out a way to get all of the product ingested and your good to grow.

Gerdy[/quote]

Yeah, my PWO drink has about 25g BCAA’s and it’s quite chewy - doesn’t taste bad at all though.

i have a tub of ON BCAA powder that i haven’t touched because it tastes fucking terrible, its bitter as shit and leaves an aftertaste for hours. i tried blending it into my shake but its makes the shake gross too.

how do you mask the taste of it?

or should i just man up and eat it

[quote]schultzie wrote:
i have a tub of ON BCAA powder that i haven’t touched because it tastes fucking terrible, its bitter as shit and leaves an aftertaste for hours. i tried blending it into my shake but its makes the shake gross too.

how do you mask the taste of it?

or should i just man up and eat it[/quote]

one vote for the man up option…

WWGD?..what would Gerdy do?
Not be a pussy. Man up vote numero 2! lol
jk man I know how nasty some stuff tastes…I feel ya

Gerdy

looks like the option im liking right now is put the scoop in my throat and chase it with water lol. seems like the best option. i dont have a blender. btw, how much is 1/4 of a tsp. thats what it says on the back and i dont know how much 5 grams is lol. im heading to put like 15 grams.

Mix it an hour ahead of time. Shake many times during that hour. It will eventually mix fairly well. At some point, you just have to man up and chug like a frat boy. It does taste like ass but that’s why you’ll look great in a sea of fat slobs:

You eat what tastes like shit to look great while they eat what tastes great to look like shit.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Mix it an hour ahead of time. Shake many times during that hour. It will eventually mix fairly well. At some point, you just have to man up and chug like a frat boy. It does taste like ass but that’s why you’ll look great in a sea of fat slobs:

You eat what tastes like shit to look great while they eat what tastes great to look like shit.[/quote]

Thats a genious quote lol

[quote]sumgai wrote:
You eat what tastes like shit to look great while they eat what tastes great to look like shit.[/quote]

I don’t know if that’s yours or if someone else said it before, but it’s deserving, in some form, to be a “Strong Words” Quote of the Day.

re: Topic

I mix my powder BCAA with whey protein, water, and 8oz of unsweeted coconut juice for a workout concoction. If you mix it pre-WO, and just keep shaking it, it eventually dissolves. Throw in an extra Splenda or two.

Stir it in crystal light, the scoops the clumps out with a spoon. Eat it, wash it down with whats remaining in the cup.

I mix a pitcher’s worth each time with crystal light and any cheapo imitation. For every 5g of BCAA, I used 6-8oz of water. Mix it in blender and refrigerate. It eventually all dissolves… Not much help if you’re doing 40g a workout, but for me, who only takes in 10g peri along with Surge pre/post, it works out well.

I’ve tried that whole put it in your mouth and chase with water thing… pretty damn disgusting lol…

btw, for the powder stuff, 1 tablespoon is about 5g for mine, probably close to the same for most.

It is not that bad if you keep taking it. Granted it tastes like shit at first but you do eventually get used to it.