T Nation

Mixed Rep Schemes In Same Workout

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a mixed rep scheme such as doing a few heavy sets (3 or 5 RM) followed by a few higher rep sets (10-12 RM) of the same exercise in the same workout? (Assuming you are not a powerlifter or preparing for a sport). I work out for the fun of it, and was going to give it try, just to see how it feels and what results I get.

Yes there is. You'll be stimulating your fibres more thoroughly which will do nothing but help you get stronger and bigger, faster.

It's a great idea.

Do the low rep stuff first, for strength. Then follow with the high rep for more traditional hypertrophy training.

UNLESS you are looking to go the frequency route. Then that is one of the main stays. use different rep/set and load parameters so you hit tyhe same muscle groups but varied fibers, varied qualities and varied levels of CNS activation. If going for a split doing one muclse group once a week sure hit em all. It all depends on the goals and the plan in use.

I asked CW about this a long time ago. He said his preference was not to mix parameters within the same workout. I think what others have said makes sense; if you train a muscle group infrequently (e.g., once a week) go ahead and mix, if you train more frequently you should split more. Since CW is a high frequency proponent it makes sense that he'd recommend not mixing.

I've tried mixing when working body parts twice a week and it worked fine. I personally liked combining heavy/low rep work with light/low rep/explosive work.

pyramid your sets one moderare 2 heavy i moderate weight or 1 light 1 moderate 1 heavy 1 one moderate or you can do 1 week heavy and then 1 week high rep for endurance it's called crosstraining

I do a TBT program with a 5x5 for compound and a few 3x8 iso movements.Also if I can't get the last set I'll get something lighter and just rep out then move on.I love it.

I wouldn't suggest mixing reps.

Christian Thibaudeau once suggested "feeder sets" though.

Check out CT's HSS-100 program.

Why? Any anecdotal reason? There is no hard and true science to weightlifting and reps and rep schemes. Why not just try it for 6-8 weeks and see how it works for you. I cycle through many different mini-programs through the course of a year and find almost all work.

Heaven forbid you go outside the writings.

Hmmm, I remember a CW article Hybrid Hypertrophy and it involved doing mostly strength-oriented set/rep schemes with a hypertrophic-oriented set thrown in the middle of each bodypart.

Thats the general gist of it, do a search for it to get the specifics.

As always, everything works, but nothing works forever.

If you've never mixed-up your rep schemes before, it can add quite a kick. However, odds are its not going to get you the same results as keeping to a consistent rep scheme in the same workout.

Either way, try it, and let us know how it works out for you.

it's just one way of doing things. There are a few options. I'll post this for the third time (just responded to two other threads) as I think it's a great workout that fits what you're asking.

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

For the thu/Fri workouts either rpeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12

Yes it is extremely good and there are a number of programs popping up now using this approach. e.g the HSS-100 .. and to a degree, the Eastern European style (morning power work, afternoon hypertrophy work although obviously that is really 2 workouts).