Mixed Rep Schemes In Same Workout

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a mixed rep scheme such as doing a few heavy sets (3 or 5 RM) followed by a few higher rep sets (10-12 RM) of the same exercise in the same workout? (Assuming you are not a powerlifter or preparing for a sport). I work out for the fun of it, and was going to give it try, just to see how it feels and what results I get.

Yes there is. You’ll be stimulating your fibres more thoroughly which will do nothing but help you get stronger and bigger, faster.

It’s a great idea.

Do the low rep stuff first, for strength. Then follow with the high rep for more traditional hypertrophy training.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Yes there is. You’ll be stimulating your fibres more thoroughly which will do nothing but help you get stronger and bigger, faster.

It’s a great idea.

Do the low rep stuff first, for strength. Then follow with the high rep for more traditional hypertrophy training. [/quote]

UNLESS you are looking to go the frequency route. Then that is one of the main stays. use different rep/set and load parameters so you hit tyhe same muscle groups but varied fibers, varied qualities and varied levels of CNS activation. If going for a split doing one muclse group once a week sure hit em all. It all depends on the goals and the plan in use.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a mixed rep scheme such as doing a few heavy sets (3 or 5 RM) followed by a few higher rep sets (10-12 RM) of the same exercise in the same workout? (Assuming you are not a powerlifter or preparing for a sport). I work out for the fun of it, and was going to give it try, just to see how it feels and what results I get.[/quote]

I asked CW about this a long time ago. He said his preference was not to mix parameters within the same workout. I think what others have said makes sense; if you train a muscle group infrequently (e.g., once a week) go ahead and mix, if you train more frequently you should split more. Since CW is a high frequency proponent it makes sense that he’d recommend not mixing.

I’ve tried mixing when working body parts twice a week and it worked fine. I personally liked combining heavy/low rep work with light/low rep/explosive work.

pyramid your sets one moderare 2 heavy i moderate weight or 1 light 1 moderate 1 heavy 1 one moderate or you can do 1 week heavy and then 1 week high rep for endurance it’s called crosstraining

I do a TBT program with a 5x5 for compound and a few 3x8 iso movements.Also if I can’t get the last set I’ll get something lighter and just rep out then move on.I love it.

I wouldn’t suggest mixing reps.

Christian Thibaudeau once suggested “feeder sets” though.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a mixed rep scheme such as doing a few heavy sets (3 or 5 RM) followed by a few higher rep sets (10-12 RM) of the same exercise in the same workout? (Assuming you are not a powerlifter or preparing for a sport). I work out for the fun of it, and was going to give it try, just to see how it feels and what results I get.[/quote]

Check out CT’s HSS-100 program.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
I wouldn’t suggest mixing reps.

Christian Thibaudeau once suggested “feeder sets” though.[/quote]

Why? Any anecdotal reason? There is no hard and true science to weightlifting and reps and rep schemes. Why not just try it for 6-8 weeks and see how it works for you. I cycle through many different mini-programs through the course of a year and find almost all work.

Heaven forbid you go outside the writings.

Hmmm, I remember a CW article Hybrid Hypertrophy and it involved doing mostly strength-oriented set/rep schemes with a hypertrophic-oriented set thrown in the middle of each bodypart.

Thats the general gist of it, do a search for it to get the specifics.

As always, everything works, but nothing works forever.

If you’ve never mixed-up your rep schemes before, it can add quite a kick. However, odds are its not going to get you the same results as keeping to a consistent rep scheme in the same workout.

Either way, try it, and let us know how it works out for you.

it’s just one way of doing things. There are a few options. I’ll post this for the third time (just responded to two other threads) as I think it’s a great workout that fits what you’re asking.

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3’ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3’ rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3’
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2’
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2’
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3’
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2’

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3’
Row: 3-4X6-8/3’
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2’
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2’
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5’
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5’

For the thu/Fri workouts either rpeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:

Yes it is extremely good and there are a number of programs popping up now using this approach. e.g the HSS-100 … and to a degree, the Eastern European style (morning power work, afternoon hypertrophy work although obviously that is really 2 workouts).