T Nation

Mixed Messages on PWO Drink

Goal: Gain muscle while maintaining or losing fat (tall order I know)

Current PWO nutrition: Whey protein drink immediately after workout and solid meal 70% protein, 20% fat, 10% carbs.

Problem: I am lactose intolerant and the whey gives me the WORST f’ing farts ALL day.

Confusion: I want a new PWO drink that does not give me gas and I am considering Surge Recovery. Prob is, I noticed it contains a significant amount of carbs. Then I read an article on here stating that glycogen replacement is not important-

Question: Based on the article I don’t need the carbs in Surge Recovery. Is there another PWO drink that is lactose free that does not contain unecessary carbs?

Thanks in advance.

You don’t just need carbs for glycogen, they also help with anabolism, which is generally pretty nifty around your workout.

Eat real food, you don’t need a drink.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious here…but the protein in Surge Recovery IS whey.

It also has an allergen warning at the bottom of the label that says…“Contains milk and soy products.”

http://surgeer.com/labels/postSuppFacts.html

Isn’t there some supplement I’ve read about on here that you take with things containing lactose to prevent the problems you have?

whey isolate has less galactose in it than concentrate.

But if it still messes you up, then avoid the whey.

Decent whey protein should be low in lactose anyway. You must be really sensitive to it. You can buy lactase drops (but you need to add these to the milk product in advance) or tablets, which you take before.

Alright so does anyone know of a LACTOSE FREE whey protein I can use for a PWO drink? I am not too keen on adding PWO carbs in a drink since I have them pre-workout (oatmeal and fruit) and that is the main source of carbs I have for the day.

Why not take whole egg protein (not egg white protein…tastes a lot worse, supposedly) which is similar to whey with respect to its physiological impact on the body?

Or, take whey isolate and a healthy dose of bromelain (1000 mg) and some Lactaid tablets. Take the pills - bromelain, lactaid - about 15 prior to taking the whey isolate.

[quote]jmsizzo wrote:
Alright so does anyone know of a LACTOSE FREE whey protein I can use for a PWO drink? I am not too keen on adding PWO carbs in a drink since I have them pre-workout (oatmeal and fruit) and that is the main source of carbs I have for the day. [/quote]

I am lactose intolerant too, plus a very sensitive digestive system, everything bothers me. I’ve been using Iso Pure whey isolate for years with no issues. Whey concentrate kills me and anything else with the carbs included in it also bothers me.

Check out CT’s Peri-Workout Nutrition thread for feedback from an expert.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/questions_about_paraworkout_nutrition

I’ve been adopting most of his recommendations and am bigger AND leaner without any significant changes to my training.

By the way, carbs around your workout are far from unnecessary if you want to build muscle.

If you are carb sensitive and want to lose fat, limit your carbs during the rest of the day, but keep them before and during training.

Got some IsoPure Whey protein. It is listed as being lactose free. Anyway, so far so good. I have used it 3x and no stink bombs so far :slight_smile: