T Nation

Mixed Martial Arts Workout

Hi,

I am 18 years old and have been competing in grappling since the age of 15, and have since my 18th birthday in January have been competing in amateur MMA. I am proficient in Muay Thai kick boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and use the two as my advantages in the cage.

During my debut in Quebec City I participated in a 6 bout tournament, without a trainer and without guidance, but my fire has been fueled as the results favored me.

1. Win- (T)KO ( Knees from clinch)
  2. Win- KO ( Knees from clinch)
  3. Win- Submission - Kimura
  4. Win- (T)KO (Strikes from mount)
  5. Win- Submission - Heel hook
  6. Win- Submission - Triangle choke

I am hoping to have a future in the sport, and will not be able to seek a coach/camp until I complete school and move to the U.S.A. I have looked over Chad Waterbury’s full body programs but none are catching my eye. Could anyone point me in the direction or help me make a routine with: squats/dips/pullups/chinups/bench variations/swiss ball movements/other compounds?

Thanks.

Westside For Skinny Bastards.

BTW - Team Tompkins not catching your eye to train at?

I am so far from London at this point in time that if I am travelling that far I might as well seek something strong like Dream Team, Team Quest or MFS.

I would look at gym jones. They have an historic of their training sessions, that could inspire you. Some BJJ black belts train there. They have some good move such as guard sit-ups on bag. These trainings will put you in damn good fighting shape.

Go to www.gymjones.com then go to the schedules and click on a training day, you’ll then be able to browse through a lot of training sessions.

I’d keep it very simple.

Here is one coach Charles Staley posted in the past…

Perform two different workouts (“sessions”) in alternating order, with at least 1, but not more than 3 days of rest between sessions. So for example, you might do “A” on Monday, “B” on Thursday, “A” on the following Saturday, then “B” on the next Wednesday, etc. Here are the sessions:

A Session:

A) Back Squat
B) Chins
C) Barbell Push Press
D) Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl

B Session:

A) Clean Pulls
B) Flat Dumbbell Bench Press or Dips
C) Bent Barbell Rows Or Low Cable Rows

Loading: 3-5 Method: Perform 3-5 workouts per week, using 3-5 exercises per workout, 3-5 reps per set, 3-5 sets per exercise, resting between 3-5 minutes between sets. Seek to increase loads/volume by 3-5% every 3-5 weeks. You can also make slight exercise alterations (following the “same but different” principle) every 3-5 months)

This is simple, flexible, effective, easy to understand & remember, but the downside is, it’s VERY demanding.

Define SPECIFICALLY your goals for lifting weights. Why do you want to life weights?

Improve body composition? (for looks basically)

To be stronger in the gym? (bench, squat, power clean)

To be stronger for mma?

To stay healthy? (get rid of muscle imbalances, etc)

can help you a lot further if you clearly define your goals.

Good luck by the way I’ll see you at the top.

Team Quest is in Temecula CA too, R-1 is out here as well. Legends gym is in hollywood (but damn is that expensive). There’s quite a few places that you can check out.

Las Vegas is like the new hot spot they have a bunch of gyms down there as well. Also the real estate is pretty good, check out henderson nevada its close to everything w/o being in las vegas.