T Nation

Mixed Grip Vertical Rows

I was doing vertical barbell rows this morning, and found on my last set that I was having to cut it short due to grip strength.

It occurred to me that you could do mixed grip rows, in the same way you do mixed grip deadlifts.

Does anybody else do this?

[quote]forlife wrote:
I was doing vertical barbell rows this morning [/quote]

An upright row?

I wouldn’t for reasons of uneven development.

If you’re grip is losing out before your back, start using straps.

Yeah, I was referring to mixed grip for upright rows.

On uneven development, couldn’t you switch grips between sets like you do with deadlifts?

[quote]forlife wrote:

On uneven development, couldn’t you switch grips between sets like you do with deadlifts?[/quote]

You must mean bent over rows no? How would you underhand upright row??

Yes, I was referring specifically to using mixed grip with bent over rows. I’m finding that my grip is becoming the limiting factor in the lift, and trying not to resort to straps in order to keep building grip strength.

Switch to dumbbells.

[quote]forlife wrote:

Yes, I was referring specifically to using mixed grip with bent over rows. [\quote]

what are we talking about again?

i can’t see anyone doing an upright row with a mixed grip (or grip even becoming an issue) so i’m guessing you mean bent over rows. if you need to use a mixed grip then do it. and if you’re worried about uneven development just alternate the mixed grip (switch the hand that is pronated / supinated) each set.

done.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Yes, I was referring specifically to using mixed grip with bent over rows. I’m finding that my grip is becoming the limiting factor in the lift, and trying not to resort to straps in order to keep building grip strength.[/quote]

Depends on the weight…
Once you get a bit over bodyweight-use straps(you’re loosing more on the row than you’re gaining on the grip).

Do you know what a ‘hook-grip’ is? Have you tried it? Works great after the break-in period!!

I’m over bodyweight on my bent over rows, but grip strength isn’t an issue at all for supinated rows, only for pronated.

Thanks for the hook grip recommendation, I will give it a try.

On dumbbells, I do one arm dumbbell bent over rows but again am finding that my grip strength is the limiting factor.

I like the point about losing more on the row than you’re gaining on the grip, I guess you have to keep in mind what you’re really trying to accomplish with the lift.

Maybe try and improve your grip? If my triceps were causing sub optimal chest session, then I would try and target them.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Maybe try and improve your grip? If my triceps were causing sub optimal chest session, then I would try and target them.[/quote]

This may be true up to a point…but comparing your grip during a row and your tricep during pushing movements is not really apples to apples.

HAHA, VibeAlive ur avatar is fuckin hilarious!!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
This may be true up to a point…but comparing your grip during a row and your tricep during pushing movements is not really apples to apples.
[/quote]

You can increase grip strength to a point, but when you get into heavier weight rows your grip is going to be the limiting factor.

My takeaway is that in order to maximally work your back at higher loads, you will probably need to supplement your grip (straps, mixed grip, etc.).

How much are you deadlifting and rowing of your bodyweight?
I find this strange because of the following logic:
Deadlift >> Improve my erectors’ ability to hold heavy rows.
In order for my rows to advance in weight my deadlift had to be stronger, and by the time I passed my bodyweight with the rows my deadlift also got my grip much stronger. I’m 1.1Xbodyweight on the rows and 2.1Xbodyweight on the deadlift, thus having no trouble with my grip.

Yesterday I did 1.2 x bodyweight for 3x10 bent over rows. My grip was fine for that, but my back could have handled more, had it not been for my grip being maxed out.

I’m going to try mixed grip next time and see if that helps, also may try hook grip and if necessary straps.

[quote]forlife wrote:

You can increase grip strength to a point, but when you get into heavier weight rows your grip is going to be the limiting factor.

[/quote]

You can increase all strength only to a point, doesn’t mean you’re at that point.

[quote]plateau wrote:
You can increase all strength only to a point, doesn’t mean you’re at that point.[/quote]

I agree, but as Blue Collar pointed out the real question is what muscle groups you are targeting for the particular lift. If my grip strength prevents me from working my back as fully as I could, then I need to do something to close that gap. Focusing only on increasing grip strength isn’t going to cut it, especially at higher weights where your grip is going to asymptote a lot faster than your back.

[quote]forlife wrote:
plateau wrote:
You can increase all strength only to a point, doesn’t mean you’re at that point.

I agree, but as Blue Collar pointed out the real question is what muscle groups you are targeting for the particular lift. If my grip strength prevents me from working my back as fully as I could, then I need to do something to close that gap. Focusing only on increasing grip strength isn’t going to cut it, especially at higher weights where your grip is going to asymptote a lot faster than your back.[/quote]

This is the BB forum so that makes perfect sense to use straps if you want to hit your back harder.