Mixed-Grip Rows

Hey people,

What do you think about using a pronated grip on the least dominant arm and a supine grip on the dominant arm when doing barbell rows to bring up the left posterior deltoid?

Thanks for your thoughts.

To clarify:

I do Power Cleans, Power Snatches, Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts on a regular basis, so it’s not like I’m going to create an imbalance, just thinking of tweaking a powerful exercise with a purpose.

Thanks.

I do these for my rear delts.

sounds like a bad idea to me man

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
sounds like a bad idea to me man[/quote]

Why?

[quote]ishinator wrote:

I do these for my rear delts.[/quote]

Your sense of humor (if this sample can be considered that) is less than terrible.

Whats the purpose of tweaking it?

[quote]trap_builder wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
sounds like a bad idea to me man[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

different sides of the body receiving unequal stimulus. Muscles’ll end up different sizes.

Maybe I’m wrong and it’ll be fine but I wouldn’t do it.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Whats the purpose of tweaking it?[/quote]

Just for some time to stimulate more my left rear deltoid (lagging body part).

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Just for some time to stimulate more my left rear deltoid (lagging body part).[/quote]

Skip to 2:47 and maybe try them? Shoulder Training with Jim Cordova - YouTube

The idea of doing a mixed grip row sounds like doing a mixed grip curl, each arm is working for different reasons and may cause further imbalances.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Just for some time to stimulate more my left rear deltoid (lagging body part).[/quote]

The idea of doing a mixed grip row sounds like doing a mixed grip curl, each arm is working for different reasons and may cause further imbalances.[/quote]

Thanks for the video. I used to do those to bring up my rear deltoids when they did not exist and they are amazing. The problem is dumbells are not heavy enough. I’m going to try it with my good friend the barbell.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

The idea of doing a mixed grip row sounds like doing a mixed grip curl, each arm is working for different reasons and may cause further imbalances.[/quote]

Thanks for the video. I used to do those to bring up my rear deltoids when they did not exist and they are amazing. The problem is dumbells are not heavy enough. I’m going to try it with my good friend the barbell.[/quote]

Consider doing isolation movements for your rear delts then, using a compound movement to correct a small muscle imbalance seems like over kill.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Thanks for the video. I used to do those to bring up my rear deltoids when they did not exist and they are amazing. The problem is dumbells are not heavy enough. I’m going to try it with my good friend the barbell.[/quote]

Consider doing isolation movements for your rear delts then, using a compound movement to correct a small muscle imbalance seems like over kill.
[/quote]

When I ran out of weight to do dumbell Kroc Rows I began doing them with a barbell using a hammer / neutral grip. These were just fucking amazing in great part because of the balancing issue.

Now this idea seemed good to me because I can do my rows while at the same time giving more attention to the lagging rear delt. It’s not like doing a mixed grip with barbell rows will take away strength from your rowing.

Cheers.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

When I ran out of weight to do dumbell Kroc Rows I began doing them with a barbell using a hammer / neutral grip. These were just fucking amazing in great part because of the balancing issue.

Now this idea seemed good to me because I can do my rows while at the same time giving more attention to the lagging rear delt. It’s not like doing a mixed grip with barbell rows will take away strength from your rowing.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Doing the mixed grip may cause different imbalances though even if it corrects your lagging rear delt, your traps,lats and rhomboids will be targeted different on both sides as well as the bicep of the supinated grip.

But if you try it and it works fair enough!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

Cheers.
[/quote]

Doing the mixed grip may cause different imbalances though even if it corrects your lagging rear delt, your traps,lats and rhomboids will be targeted different on both sides as well as the bicep of the supinated grip.

But if you try it and it works fair enough![/quote]

What you say is true, not to mention “the supinated side will target the biceps more” story.

But these inmbalances are virtually impossible to occur when you are consistently doing olympic lifts and other heavy pulling movements paralelly.

Cheers.

[quote]ishinator wrote:

I do these for my rear delts.[/quote]

Your sense of humor (if this sample can be considered that) is less than terrible.[/quote]

Trolol

I’m wondering why you just don’t do rear delt flys?