Mixed Grip Deads & Your Back

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
I used to use a mixed grip switching each set the over/under hand. This worked well.

Now I just use a double overhand. I concentrate on my hip movement and the proper arch in my back.

Doing it like a powerlifter and putting my back in jeapordy is not to my benefit. By that I mean when the lift is changed with the back bending forward and the spine taking part of the load.

What?

You would think that people whose sport DEPENDS on their ability to deadlift would do something in such a way that they maximized poundages while subsequently minimized the chance of injury.

Of course, if “not doing it like a powerlifter” means super strict form, super slow reps, and super light weights, then yeah, I guess you could do that too.

I’ve just never seen a competition lift in good form.

Not here to argue, If I pissed you off, I’m sorry for you.
[/quote]

Your average PLer would say look at their training reps not the competition max lifts.

I use mixed grip, prefer not to use straps and rotate every set for symmetry.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
I used to use a mixed grip switching each set the over/under hand. This worked well.

Now I just use a double overhand. I concentrate on my hip movement and the proper arch in my back.

Doing it like a powerlifter and putting my back in jeapordy is not to my benefit. By that I mean when the lift is changed with the back bending forward and the spine taking part of the load.

What?

You would think that people whose sport DEPENDS on their ability to deadlift would do something in such a way that they maximized poundages while subsequently minimized the chance of injury.

Of course, if “not doing it like a powerlifter” means super strict form, super slow reps, and super light weights, then yeah, I guess you could do that too.

I’ve just never seen a competition lift in good form.

Not here to argue, If I pissed you off, I’m sorry for you.

Your average PLer would say look at their training reps not the competition max lifts.[/quote]

I agree with that totally! I do see guys in the gym who see a utube vid of a PL’r doing a meet lift and mimicking that. I am not putting down powerlifting. I’ve powerlifted and done strongman. I love the sport, I am beat up partially because of them and hate seeing lousy form for the sake of a few training pounds. Thank you for allowing me to more fully explain, I see how it was taken. Bad communication on my part.

if using a mixed grip, definitely make sure to switch it up(left hand up,right down, then right up, left down) every workout , or every set. whichever is more appealing. i was using mixed grip for a while, left hand up. never thought about switching hands…well just recently ive been having some serious issues in what feels like my left lat when deadlifting. im assuming it’s from my misuse of the mixed grip. now i get to take a month off from deadlifting while that heals :frowning: