T Nation

Mix or OH DLs, Grip Strength?

I want to improve my grip strength, so I lift until my grip fails when I do deadlifts and I rarely use straps. However when lifting anything over 300lbs, I have to use a mixed grip (ie, one hand over, one under) because I cannot hold onto the bar with an overhand grip.

I feel the overhand grip is better at working the hands, forearm extensors, etc., than a mixed grip. Others have suggested that I switch the dominant hand between sets when using a mixed grip in order to mimic the effect, but I just can’t seem to do this. I’m left-handed and only feel comfortable when the left hand is over and the right is under.

I’ve also seen a few guys deadlift weights in excess of 500lbs with an overhand grip and no straps. I am begining to wonder if I’m short-changing myself by using a mixed-grip. Should I train strictly using an overhand grip?

try sticking with double overhand for your warmups and switch over as late as possible to mixed. Then do supplemental grip work later. I like doing thick bar holds at the end of my workouts, for example. I don’t want to hold back my deadlift just because I can’t pull a weight double overhand.

If you do speed pulls, you could try mixed grip on both sides to get used to the grip without getting close to your max.

Try dling with an open grip.

If you want a big, strong back and a strong posterior chain use the mixed-grip if your grip fails. Why let your grip hold you back (no pun intended)? I’ll recommend that you should not use straps often. Limit their use to Clean Pulls and Heavy Snatch-Grip Deadlifts.

To bring your supporting grip strength up do Rack Pulls (Half Deadlifts in a Power Rack) to overload your grip and entire back.

Additional grip work is recommended yet optional.

Who do you think will have a stronger grip. A guy with a 315 overhand-grip deadlift? Or the guy with a 405 mixed-grip deadlift?

Good luck

[quote]Kevin Haywood wrote:
Who do you think will have a stronger grip. A guy with a 315 overhand-grip deadlift? Or the guy with a 405 mixed-grip deadlift?

Good luck[/quote]

Good point…thanks.