T Nation

Mitt Romney: 'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt'

Great article, spot on. Can someone tell me why he did so poorly in the primaries?

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Great article, spot on. Can someone tell me why he did so poorly in the primaries?
[/quote]

Maybe because he was a transparent fraud?

“GM is currently building a $300 million factory in Russia right now to build SUVs, right outside of St. Petersburg. That’s where your money’s going to go, no matter what they say.”

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/20/lkl.michael.moore/index.html

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Great article, spot on. Can someone tell me why he did so poorly in the primaries?

Maybe because he was a transparent fraud?[/quote]

How so? He was running on pretty much the “conservative platform ideology” whatever that means… I think it was because of the whole “he’s a mormon” thing, and his “look”. I remember people saying that Romney looked too presidential, with the hair and the jaw line. He looked more like a TV president than an actual one… Whatever that means.

He beat McCain here in Michigan, he had full support of the Michigan Republican party. The guy is really smart too. I am just wondering why he did so poorly everywhere else.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“GM is currently building a $300 million factory in Russia right now to build SUVs, right outside of St. Petersburg. That’s where your money’s going to go, no matter what they say.”

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/20/lkl.michael.moore/index.html

[/quote]

I read an article in the WSJ about how Hummers are selling like hotcakes in Russia. Apparently you have all these oil guys who got filthy rich over the summer in Russia, and the Russian mafia needing vehicles that can traverse difficult terrain.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Great article, spot on. Can someone tell me why he did so poorly in the primaries?

Maybe because he was a transparent fraud?

How so? He was running on pretty much the “conservative platform ideology” whatever that means… I think it was because of the whole “he’s a mormon” thing, and his “look”. I remember people saying that Romney looked too presidential, with the hair and the jaw line. He looked more like a TV president than an actual one… Whatever that means.

He beat McCain here in Michigan, he had full support of the Michigan Republican party. The guy is really smart too. I am just wondering why he did so poorly everywhere else.
[/quote]

Huckabee stayed in the race too long when he knew he had no chance of actually winning. (Thanks, Iowa) A 3-man race rarely turns out good. I don’t doubt at all if it was just Romney and McCain then Romney would have come out on top, and with his expertise on the economy he just may have been able to beat Obama.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Great article, spot on. Can someone tell me why he did so poorly in the primaries?

Maybe because he was a transparent fraud?[/quote]

LOL!! Perfect response.

I don’t say this lightly but the Big 3 need to go Bankrupt.

They need to shed the UAW contracts they signed in the past and lower labor costs per car. I don’t see any other way to dump the contracts then a protracted bankruptcy.

I think it’s going to hurt the companies, the economy in general and the workers themselves but nobody is going to budge an inch.

[quote]hedo wrote:
I don’t say this lightly but the Big 3 need to go Bankrupt.

They need to shed the UAW contracts they signed in the past and lower labor costs per car. I don’t see any other way to dump the contracts then a protracted bankruptcy.

I think it’s going to hurt the companies, the economy in general and the workers themselves but nobody is going to budge an inch.[/quote]

I agree. I think the govt role is to ensure that ch11 can occur (that credit markets aren’t so frozen that ch11 morphs into ch7). But this is going to be horribly bloody. A major restructuring seems necessary, and such things are always painful.

They’ll bail them out…The unions will whine to the congress and they will bail them out. Because bankruptcy would fuck up the union contracts. If I were the big three I’d move all my factories to outside the U.S. border. The UAW could then kindly go fuck themselves.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.