MIT: American MFG Study

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/mit0305131.html

Despite what Barackulous promised, manufacturing jobs are not coming back to the US.

Even back when the US was a thriving industrial world leader our talent was imported.

Steel processes, energy development and production, feet on the floor doing the heavy lifting- All brought in from somewhere else.

Why is now any different than then, and why is anybody surprised?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Even back when the US was a thriving industrial world leader our talent was imported.

[/quote]

The point of the study ‘as I understand it’ is that it isn’t who does the MFG, but where it’s done, and the long term consequences on the ability to bring products to market once things are MFG elsewhere.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Despite what Barackulous promised, manufacturing jobs are not coming back to the US. [/quote]

Same promise from the four before him…same result.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

The point of the study ‘as I understand it’ is that it isn’t who does the MFG, but where it’s done, and the long term consequences on the ability to bring products to market once things are MFG elsewhere.
[/quote]

Where it is being done IS who is doing it. Manufacturing in china is being done by Chinese people, etc.

We have lost the tribal knowledge and culture that developed around manufacturing as it was, and there has been very little to no infusion of new blood from that old line to regenerate the capability to manufacture.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Despite what Barackulous promised, manufacturing jobs are not coming back to the US. [/quote]

Same promise from the four before him…same result. [/quote]

But that doesn’t fit the mold: [Insert age-old and/or systemic problem here] is happening because of [insert insultingly not-clever pejorative moniker for Barack Obama here].

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

Steel processes, energy development and production, feet on the floor doing the heavy lifting- All brought in from somewhere else.

[/quote]

We’re still one of the biggest power houses in the game. Come at me, bro.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

We’re still one of the biggest power houses in the game. Come at me, bro.[/quote]

No thanks. MIT already has.

I’m from a very small town where mining was the major industry. When the market for uranium collapsed, the town imploded. Educated people, and people with technical skills moved away. It became an economically blighted community. The town has tried funding start-up grants to manufacturing companies to try to bring jobs back. It’s been very unsuccessful. I think nearly every one of those ventures has folded within a year or two.

Related, you see a situation like the Detroit area. What was once a major manufacturing center is now an economic black hole.

Who is to blame? Globalization, labor unions who priced themselves out of a job, government bureaucracy and tax policies that discourage business? I’m not sure what the answer is, but we are becoming a country that doesn’t make anything. I’m always a little sad when I hear about a bright young kid going to law school, instead of becoming an engineer.

I have a friend who works for an environmental consulting group. She helps companies respond to an ever increasing list of regulations. It’s a full-time job for lots of people at her firm. The companies can’t possibly keep up with the layers of report writing and form filling out that is required. And to be in compliance with one regulation, means you are likely out of compliance on something else. Just one of the reasons more entrepreneurial people are going abroad to produce things.

Another reason manufacturing in the US is not happening. Increased energy costs. This is unlikely to get better anytime soon. If you think California policies don’t effect you, because you live in another state consider the economic ranking of the World. Here’s the line ups of the top 8 economies:

US, Japan, China, Germany, France, UK, Italy, and number 8… CALIFORNIA.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I’m from a very small town where mining was the major industry. When the market for uranium collapsed, the town imploded. Educated people, and people with technical skills moved away. It became an economically blighted community. The town has tried funding start-up grants to manufacturing companies to try to bring jobs back. It’s been very unsuccessful. I think nearly every one of those ventures has folded within a year or two.

Related, you see a situation like the Detroit area. What was once a major manufacturing center is now an economic black hole.

Who is to blame? Globalization, labor unions who priced themselves out of a job, government bureaucracy and tax policies that discourage business? I’m not sure what the answer is, but we are becoming a country that doesn’t make anything. I’m always a little sad when I hear about a bright young kid going to law school, instead of becoming an engineer.

I have a friend who works for an environmental consulting group. She helps companies respond to an ever increasing list of regulations. It’s a full-time job for lots of people at her firm. The companies can’t possibly keep up with the layers of report writing and form filling out that is required. And to be in compliance with one regulation, means you are likely out of compliance on something else. Just one of the reasons more entrepreneurial people are going abroad to produce things.
[/quote]

Cities die off, Detroit, San Bernandino, Fresno, and probably Chicago with time from excessive public worker benefits and massive regulations.