T Nation

Mistakes I've Made and Learned From

This post is to help anyone who doesn’t know this stuff and although I am sure that you can read about it all in the articles on this site:

A few mistakes I’ve made throughout my years of training that I wish I would have known the answers to 20 years ago:

Not eating enough protein.

Not eating enough carbs.

Not getting enough sleep.

Not allowing enough time between training sessions.

Trying to do too much during one session.

Not warming up thoroughly.

Not thinking enough about training errors and how to fix them.

Not thinking enough about a game plan to accomplish goals.

Thinking I was right about most of my training.

Not training athletically enough.

Not seeking out information from accomplished athletes that have already acheived what I wanted to. (of course, when I was younger the internet and information on it was much less accesible)

I would say that recovery was the most important factor influencing any success I’ve had in training with weights. Killing yourself in the weightroom day in and day out may lead to a)loss of enthusiasm b)achy joints in the form of tendinitis c)I don’t have a c) right now.

Happy training.

I hurt my back the first time I ever deadlifted. Big ol’curve in my back, awful form. It was a whopping 115lbs.

Common mistakes mate, your definatly not alone there. Thank fuck for hte amount of info available now day’s, only thing is knowing what’s good info from a reputable source and whats bullshit, once that’s sorted your sweet.

[quote]dmunro wrote:
I hurt my back the first time I ever deadlifted. Big ol’curve in my back, awful form. It was a whopping 115lbs.[/quote]

seconded

[quote]mbk wrote:
Common mistakes mate, your definatly not alone there. Thank fuck for hte amount of info available now day’s, only thing is knowing what’s good info from a reputable source and whats bullshit, once that’s sorted your sweet.[/quote]

Yeah, I think its cute when weak youths advise me on training. Although some kids are as strong as bears these days.

I typically only pay attention to a suggestion if it comes from someone who has accomplished something.

i cant stand it when tits throw advice at me, i dont know how u think its cute, lol. but your post is a helpful one¬!

-not keeping a dietary log
-failing to be consistent
-worrying with isolation lifts wen i weighed as much as a bag of sugar