T Nation

Mississipi: Fat People Can't Eat Here


In Mississipi, restaurant are refusing to serve obese people. What do you guys think about it?

Personally, i think people should eat what they want, as long as they don’t come crying for help when they are about to die because of it. Everyone knows that to many calories makes you fat, but people just don’t care. I can’t understand how people in USA are throwing down burgers everyday without even exercise or do any kind of physical activity. And what is going on with the food over there? Children are given junkfood at schools without healthy alternatives. I just saw a documentary where they gave the children chocolate and coca cola (and of course food too, but not any healthy food) in the canteen because it was a cheaper alternative than healthy food. We got som obese people here in Norway, but not at all as many as in USA.

You guys in norway are very healthy in general I have heard. Alot of beutiful women to. Here in the US is alot different. Alot of lazy car drivers not alot of bikers or walkers. Now we got some but there are many fatties that are simply disgusting. Back to your original question I think Restaurants should have the right to serve who they want. It should be left up to management. I dont think everyone is entitled to be served.

[quote]Tx5000 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_uzaNSzWtE

In Mississipi, restaurant are refusing to serve obese people. What do you guys think about it?

Personally, i think people should eat what they want, as long as they don’t come crying for help when they are about to die because of it. Everyone knows that to many calories makes you fat, but people just don’t care. I can’t understand how people in USA are throwing down burgers everyday without even exercise or do any kind of physical activity. And what is going on with the food over there? Children are given junkfood at schools without healthy alternatives. I just saw a documentary where they gave the children chocolate and coca cola (and of course food too, but not any healthy food) in the canteen because it was a cheaper alternative than healthy food. We got som obese people here in Norway, but not at all as many as in USA. [/quote]

It hasn’t been passed into law yet even though they are pushing for that to happen.

The main problem with this is the use of BMI. According to that proposal, there are many people on this board who could be denied food at restaurants LEGALLY (whether it is likely to happen is irrelevant).

In America, obesity is growing because of the relaxed attitude towards it. I have friends who only seem to go out with girls who are overweight. In my opinion, some of that is because there are simply more fat girls than slim ones. The rest of the problem is that too many fat guys have allowed fat girls to think they still look good so they can sleep with them. This leads to fat women walking around like they are sex symbols. There are just enough guys who will sleep with anyone to keep this going.

Some women have mistaken the love for “round asses” as meaning “rotund ass with many rolls of goo”. Again, it seems that, as men, we hold a lot of the blame.

There are so many overweight kids walking around today that most of the children I treat as patients don’t even go outside to play anymore. Many have told me that recess has been eliminated from their schools and very few of them even play sports anymore.

I think maybe if we didn’t treat every kid like they need so much self esteem reassurance, eventually it might correct itself. That won’t happen as long as so many seem to be pushing for it to be socially acceptable to be massively obese.

With that in mind, maybe something like this can be a good thing if it reinforces that it isn’t “ok” to sit on your ass all day shoveling Butterfinger bars and cupcakes.

Yeah that won’t last long here

The moral of the story is stop FN fat chicks! :slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Some women have mistaken the love for “round asses” as meaning “rotund ass with many rolls of goo”.

I think maybe if we didn’t treat every kid like they need so much self esteem reassurance, eventually it might correct itself. That won’t happen as long as so many seem to be pushing for it to be socially acceptable to be massively obese.

[/quote]

Amen.

Although this restaurant-ban is a good start, I think it will do little to put a dent in the obesity epidemic, as I highly doubt that eliminating some restaurants will somehow keep obese people from finding shitty food to eat.

It’s a lifestyle/mindset problem, not an access to food problem. As ProfX said, until society reinforces that it’s NOT okay to eat yourself into absolute glutton, nothing will change.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
In America, obesity is growing because of the relaxed attitude towards it. I have friends who only seem to go out with girls who are overweight. In my opinion, some of that is because there are simply more fat girls than slim ones. The rest of the problem is that too many fat guys have allowed fat girls to think they still look good so they can sleep with them. This leads to fat women walking around like they are sex symbols. There are just enough guys who will sleep with anyone to keep this going.

Some women have mistaken the love for “round asses” as meaning “rotund ass with many rolls of goo”. Again, it seems that, as men, we hold a lot of the blame.

[/quote]

There is also a double standard at work these days where if a man gets fat, his wife or girlfriend can confront him about it, but if a woman gets fat and her husband or boyfriend says anything, no matter how sensitively he approaches the subject, no matter if he makes it about her health not her looks, then he is an asshole and should be socially ostracized.

I say let them stay fat and die off. If they really want help, then I will bust my ass to inform them about nutrition and exercise, but most fatties just want to “talk” about getting healthier. I don’t want the gov to babysit anyone. That includes both, telling them what the can and can’t eat, and taking care of their fatass when they become disabled.

[quote]dk44 wrote:
I say let them stay fat and die off. If they really want help, then I will bust my ass to inform them about nutrition and exercise, but most fatties just want to “talk” about getting healthier. I don’t want the gov to babysit anyone. That includes both, telling them what the can and can’t eat, and taking care of their fatass when they become disabled.[/quote]

I think you may have missed the growing numbers of people who are “proud to be fat”. I have one at work. She’s a great assistant. She also weighs more than I do…which puts her around 300lbs. She has stated recently within earshot, “I like being fat. I like food and I like my fine fat ass!”. This caused an eruption of cheers and laughter from the other women around her.

Like Gabby said, it is socially acceptable for that to happen. They would try to rip the penis off of any guy who said, “gee, you are getting kind of fat. How about you lose some of that?”

Along with the elimination of testosterone, the growing number of guys getting gyno and the cheers heard on any female talk show when they discuss how they like how fat they are…it is pretty damn clear this was the plan from the start.

In the future, there will be no men. There will only be really fat women and even fatter eunuchs.

Hey if they are happy being fat then fuck it, I hope they like heart attacks. I just don’t agree with telling someone they can’t have Burger King because they are fat. I do agree that its sick and disgusting. And I also hate some fatties attitude of “I’m fat, deal with it,” but its their life so fuck em. However, I don’t want them to be able to get on welfare or disability because they are fat fucks, if you want to turn into a fatass then its on you not the taxpayer.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tx5000 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_uzaNSzWtE

In Mississipi, restaurant are refusing to serve obese people. What do you guys think about it?

Personally, i think people should eat what they want, as long as they don’t come crying for help when they are about to die because of it. Everyone knows that to many calories makes you fat, but people just don’t care. I can’t understand how people in USA are throwing down burgers everyday without even exercise or do any kind of physical activity. And what is going on with the food over there? Children are given junkfood at schools without healthy alternatives. I just saw a documentary where they gave the children chocolate and coca cola (and of course food too, but not any healthy food) in the canteen because it was a cheaper alternative than healthy food. We got som obese people here in Norway, but not at all as many as in USA.

It hasn’t been passed into law yet even though they are pushing for that to happen.

The main problem with this is the use of BMI. According to that proposal, there are many people on this board who could be denied food at restaurants LEGALLY (whether it is likely to happen is irrelevant).[/quote]

As a practical matter, I don’t think this would really effect muscular, healthy people. I think the restaurants want people’s money and would only refuse service to people who LOOK obese because they feel obligated to under the law. I am wondering how this would even be enforced, though.

Are these restaurants going to keep scales on hand, and force people who look too fat to weigh themselves? And then make them disclose their height so they can crunch the numbers. If this law passes, I’m not sure it would survive the lawsuits that will surely follow.

It’ll kind of be like George Romero’s vision, only with sweaty fat people instead of zombies. I for one look forward to being able to rush around shopping centres at will as they lumber about, desperately looking for the next meal.

I digress…

It’s quite amusing this thread, as the number of times I’ve gone into bars these days and wondered if it’s “fat bird night”, invariably realising that every night is now “fat bird night”. The few slim women around these days are usually the Polish women. Mainly because their diet does not consist entirely of processed food.

Anyway, my good friend is a relationship with a nice girl, but one who has recently become very fat. As in, not overweight, but two-person sized buttcheeks, where her slimline buttcheeks used to be.

Trouble is, I know full well how much effort it will be for her to lose all the weight she has gained, and very much doubt she ever will. I’ve told my friend to confront her over it, but she sure isn’t getting any smaller any time soon.

I guess this is the problem, the effort required for people to overcome their obesity means they never will.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Professor X wrote:
In America, obesity is growing because of the relaxed attitude towards it. I have friends who only seem to go out with girls who are overweight. In my opinion, some of that is because there are simply more fat girls than slim ones. The rest of the problem is that too many fat guys have allowed fat girls to think they still look good so they can sleep with them. This leads to fat women walking around like they are sex symbols. There are just enough guys who will sleep with anyone to keep this going.

Some women have mistaken the love for “round asses” as meaning “rotund ass with many rolls of goo”. Again, it seems that, as men, we hold a lot of the blame.

There is also a double standard at work these days where if a man gets fat, his wife or girlfriend can confront him about it, but if a woman gets fat and her husband or boyfriend says anything, no matter how sensitively he approaches the subject, no matter if he makes it about her health not her looks, then he is an asshole and should be socially ostracized. [/quote]

I’m not sure what world you live in. But in the world I live in, the fat acceptance movement has not caught on at all. [hopefully it won’t]. Certainly not for women. It’s much easier for men. From what I see, it’s still VERY difficult to be an overweight woman. It’s not accepted and there’s still a lot of social ostracization.

And ridicule and pressure to be thin for women who are even a bit chubby. [I do think this is not the case for lower socio-economic classes and in some racial and ethnic groups at all class levels]. But men do have a somewhat easier time and fat is more acceptable. Some can have an enormous beer gut without struggling too much. Many men and women still regard it as manly.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I think maybe if we didn’t treat every kid like they need so much self esteem reassurance, eventually it might correct itself. [/quote]

A-freakin-men! For crying out loud, we don’t need so much “think positive” coddling. If you don’t earn something, you don’t need to be congratulated. That kind of thing really slays me.

[quote]
With that in mind, maybe something like this can be a good thing if it reinforces that it isn’t “ok” to sit on your ass all day shoveling Butterfinger bars and cupcakes.[/quote]

See, I like that idea, but I just can’t reconcile my individualist worldview with a nanny-state just to get what I want. As much as I want people to stop being stupid, I don’t think I can justify allowing the State to make it so. I think you should be allowed to eat wherever you want, and deal with the consequences on your own too.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tx5000 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_uzaNSzWtE

In Mississipi, restaurant are refusing to serve obese people. What do you guys think about it?

Personally, i think people should eat what they want, as long as they don’t come crying for help when they are about to die because of it. Everyone knows that to many calories makes you fat, but people just don’t care. I can’t understand how people in USA are throwing down burgers everyday without even exercise or do any kind of physical activity. And what is going on with the food over there? Children are given junkfood at schools without healthy alternatives. I just saw a documentary where they gave the children chocolate and coca cola (and of course food too, but not any healthy food) in the canteen because it was a cheaper alternative than healthy food. We got som obese people here in Norway, but not at all as many as in USA.

It hasn’t been passed into law yet even though they are pushing for that to happen.

The main problem with this is the use of BMI. According to that proposal, there are many people on this board who could be denied food at restaurants LEGALLY (whether it is likely to happen is irrelevant).

In America, obesity is growing because of the relaxed attitude towards it. I have friends who only seem to go out with girls who are overweight. In my opinion, some of that is because there are simply more fat girls than slim ones. The rest of the problem is that too many fat guys have allowed fat girls to think they still look good so they can sleep with them. This leads to fat women walking around like they are sex symbols. There are just enough guys who will sleep with anyone to keep this going.

Some women have mistaken the love for “round asses” as meaning “rotund ass with many rolls of goo”. Again, it seems that, as men, we hold a lot of the blame.

There are so many overweight kids walking around today that most of the children I treat as patients don’t even go outside to play anymore. Many have told me that recess has been eliminated from their schools and very few of them even play sports anymore.

I think maybe if we didn’t treat every kid like they need so much self esteem reassurance, eventually it might correct itself. That won’t happen as long as so many seem to be pushing for it to be socially acceptable to be massively obese.

With that in mind, maybe something like this can be a good thing if it reinforces that it isn’t “ok” to sit on your ass all day shoveling Butterfinger bars and cupcakes.[/quote]

Doc, my wife and i both watch and take care of ourselves. Our kids also do, but what you say is true to a large degree. I’m 44 and my dad is 67.

When he was growing up, he said there was about one fat kid in a class. Now there are many. Another story, a few years ago I had my son at the office. We were lifting and he was being a little pest. I told him to go in the alley and drag the weight sled. He was none btw.

He did some sets with just the sled. He was only 65 pounds btw. He then did some drags with 25, then 35 lbs. MY buddy said you better go check on Tommy while eh was laughing his ass off. It seems some big fat kid was staring at him like it was some freak show. With his big family size bag of doritos. With his arm in the bag up to the elbows. At 10 am on a sunday morning.

My boy has to ask for a snack, but not for sled dragging, hoop shooting, running, or bike riding.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

I’m not sure what world you live in. But in the world I live in, the fat acceptance movement has not caught on at all. [hopefully it won’t]. Certainly not for women. It’s much easier for men. From what I see, it’s still VERY difficult to be an overweight woman. It’s not accepted and there’s still a lot of social ostracization.

[/quote]

You’re probably right in regards to the work place, and society as a whole. I’ve read studies and surveys that say people see an overweight woman as being stupider and less deserving of respect than her overweight male counter-part, they get paid less for doing the same work, and it is harder for them to get promoted, etc. Which is morally wrong, of course. But the re-action to that, which is to empower women with self-esteem, and tell them that fat is sexy is catching on.

Read some of this reader mail Dan Savage got after he advised one of his readers to try being honest with his wife about her weight gain:
http://www.avclub.com/content/node/70781

The bottom line is you can tell a man to his face that he is fat, but you cannot tell a woman.

I’m the dick that takes donuts to work and won’t eat one, I just like to see the fatties flock to me like cows do when the farmer brings hay.

I’m with the guy who said to just stop banging fat chicks. Chubby chasing freaks.

Just for grins I checked out what my BMI is, since I’m sure they will base this off. 28.1, Pretty high of the “overweight” side of things. Now, at 6’3", to put me smack dab in the middle of the “normal weight” range I would have to weigh all of 168lbs. Well, I’m glad I’ll be normal weight considering I will fall over in a stiff breeze and get my ass kicked my 7 year old girls.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

The bottom line is you can tell a man to his face that he is fat, but you cannot tell a woman. [/quote]

 I would agree with that. It's not really honesty that keeps women thin. For those without any intrinsic desire to be fit, healthy, and sexy, it's the desire to be attractive to men. And even moreso, snide, bitchy comments behind their backs from female coworkers and 'friends'. Not an honest dialogue. 

 Fat is definitely a problem in our society. But I don't see many truly obese people in my daily life. I see plenty of chubby or mildly fat people. But not these Walmart moos who ride around in motorized carts and are so grotesque as to almost be a different species. And the men and women I know who are chubby or fat are well aware of it and don't think it's ok, let alone something to celebrate. They just don't have the discipline, inner strength, and motivation to do something about it.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

And the men and women I know who are chubby or fat are well aware of it and don’t think it’s ok, let alone something to celebrate. They just don’t have the discipline, inner strength, and motivation to do something about it.[/quote]

Maybe it’s just the cows around here, but while trying to go out and meet women, I’m running into more and more fat chicks who wear clothes that are way too skimpy, who think they are the shit. I’m not talking about 5 or 10 pounds, I’m talking 100 pounds over weight.

If you finally get tired of trying to brush them off politely and tell them you aren’t attracted to them, they give you this “Well, I’m comfortable with my body, I’m sorry you’re not mature and comfortable enough with your own body to get with me.”

Of course their female friends and co-workers will make fun of them behind their backs, but if you tell fat girl to her face that you’re not attracted to her, those same female friends will circle the wagons in her defense and suddenly you’re worse than Hitler.