Missing the Old Darden Forum

I pretty much agree with everything you said especially the banter part. On so many logs it’s like I have to be part of some kind of “in club” to know what is being talked about.
Scott

I don’t think not knowing exactly what’s being said is that big of a deal. I just show up every now and then and read a few logs that interest me, see what they’ve been up to. Most logs I read had thousands of entries before I ever even started. I especially like seeing people get frustrated in Anna’s training log, that is always entertaining lol

This forum generates a lot of arguments and debates which are always entertaining to me. Especially if it’s Darden forum guy vs T-Nation forum guy. It’s cool to either grab popcorn and watch or chime in with a personal perspective.

Personally im glad things ended up the way they did, the old forum had been dead for quite a while. Probably because people were communicating more using the PM function than using the actual forum itself.

Like wise, HIT forums weren’t always the most welcoming of places, they could well be clicky, talk about “in clubs”. Personally i like reading the logs here, i get more from reading them than i ever did from listening to people go on and on about the Colorado experiment for the 100th time, whether or not to train to failure, the next rehashed superslow variation or how they deconditioned training for 10 minutes once in a blue moon.

7 Likes

Having been pretty negative on training logs, I have to give a hat tip to one log I just looked at. Only 24 posts spread out over 4 years. But it shows the recovery of an individual after getting treatment for cancer. Now this is inspirational:

3 Likes

For the record, I never read any post from Grant that was worthy of him being banned. The moderator explained why he was banned, and that explanation will have to suffice. Still, it feels like he got run off. I mostly ignored his posts. Occasionally he was factual about exercise, but mostly highly opinionated. Still, opinions are not a reason to be banned.

I don’t remember Grant being banned? I thought his posts just got moved to some other section?
Scott

Marathon/Volume posting is IMO — as long as he received sufficient warning!

Look up the user name planet_healh, which is what he used here. It says:

This user is suspended.
Reason: Long-time trolling; inability to have productive, rational discussions.

That’s interesting. I guess Darden was much more tolerant on his old forum ? I don’t think he ever banned anyone even though at least one person said he was banned.
Scott

Time heals any wound. Take a trip back memory lane. Brings a new understanding why things went downhill for planet_healh.

3 Likes

Yes that stuff went on for quite a while. I guess the moderator on the old forum, if there was one, must have figured crazy posts are better than none??
Scott

This could be considered a subjective decision.

He should get a clear 2nd chance after a period of adequate suspension.
I think he truly believed in isometrics and consolidated workouts.

Would Mike Mentzer be banned here?

Banned for this comment ?

Does anyone want to be part of any forum discussion where any dissenting views are not tolerated?

Of course it is subjective. Moderation to keep a forum functional requires judgement. Without that, they tend to become useless.

Remember that this isn’t the public square. These forums are not public utilities. The owners have every right to block people who are disruptive and who detract from the climate they are trying to create.

I’m pretty sure that Petterson was just pointing to the start of a thread that later went off the rails. Skillful trolls always start off with reasonable commentary, then go down the rat hole later on. The person behind those posts had a long history of being disruptive (years worth on the other forum). Like a suicide bomber, he blew himself up… no need for resurrection.

4 Likes

This seems judgmental on your behalf, and suits you poorly. I’m glad you are not a judge!

Dear Sir, are you judging someone for being judgemental?

1 Like

Do you understand the word seems?

Yes I understand the word, but don’t call me seems.

5 Likes

The biggest problem with his posts in my opinion were not what he believed in but his constant brags of lifting entire weight stacks and so forth with out one shred of evidence that he ever touched a weight but gee , I guess that never happens anywhere else on here, ha ha! Maybe you remember Nautilus 1975? According to him he had shoulders so big he had trouble getting through doors. Funny how those guys never post pictures!
Scott

2 Likes

Good post Average Al
Scott