Missing Something?

First off, I’ve been training on a regular basis for about eight weeks now. I’m at the gym five days a week, doing a three day split with tuesday and thursdays for hamstrings, calves, and abs. I’m 40 years old, 5’8", 155 lbs, with 23% bodyfat. The bodyfat measurement was before I started working out. Just started recording everything that I eat and I found out that I wasn’t eating enough calories per day.

My goal is to gain 20 - 30 lbs of lean muscle. In short I haven’t gained a single pound, I can tell I’ve gotten a little leaner but no weight gain. Well, I have two questions, first am I missing something out of the supplements I take, secondly looking for books that I can read to get a better understanding of nutrition and bodybuilding. The supplements I take are below:

Whey Protein - Snack 1
VPX Shotgun - 30 minutes prior to workout
VPX Synthasize - During workout
Whey Protein - after workout
Casein Protein - before bed
ZMA - before bed

I eat 5 times a day basically every three hours, been thinking about going to every two hours to help increase my calorie intake. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I just changed my lifting days around since I was told that there is a muscle memory

Ah, but if no weight loss and you are leaner, you are converting weight to muscle.

Yes I understand that, but I am wondering if I am missing something maybe BCAA’s or creatine. Now that I am monitoring my caloric intake I should be able to gain my goal of 1 lb a week. Next on the list will be changing my workout. Like I asked in the initial post - What about books about nutrition and workouts/bodybuilding? Has anyone heard of Jim Stoppani? Thanks again.

I don’t think you need to be looking for magic here. eat protein rich foods, and lots of them. And stay away from anything made from grain (except whiskey - that shit’ll kill you.

oh, yeah, do 5/3/1 or we’ll kill and eat you like the others

[quote]drty070x wrote:
First off, I’ve been training on a regular basis for about eight weeks now. I’m at the gym five days a week, doing a three day split with tuesday and thursdays for hamstrings, calves, and abs. I’m 40 years old, 5’8", 155 lbs, with 23% bodyfat. The bodyfat measurement was before I started working out. Just started recording everything that I eat and I found out that I wasn’t eating enough calories per day.

My goal is to gain 20 - 30 lbs of lean muscle. In short I haven’t gained a single pound, I can tell I’ve gotten a little leaner but no weight gain. Well, I have two questions, first am I missing something out of the supplements I take, secondly looking for books that I can read to get a better understanding of nutrition and bodybuilding. The supplements I take are below:

Whey Protein - Snack 1
VPX Shotgun - 30 minutes prior to workout
VPX Synthasize - During workout
Whey Protein - after workout
Casein Protein - before bed
ZMA - before bed

I eat 5 times a day basically every three hours, been thinking about going to every two hours to help increase my calorie intake. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I just changed my lifting days around since I was told that there is a muscle memory[/quote]

This is an easy one.

If you haven’t gained a single pound you simply are still not eating enough calories and all those supplements are worth f*** all. Supplements won’t get you anywhere if you are in a calorie deficit or using a crap programme.

This is all that’s wrong with lifting these days, people aren’t getting anywhere so they look to see what new supplement they can take. People have managed to get big and strong for generations long before any of that stuff was invented. And all this “take so much whey 30 mins before this” or “drink this amount of casein protein exactly 18 minutes after that” stuff is all a load of bollocks.

Chuck all that crap in the bin and start spending your money on real wholesome food. Ditch the split and start training your whole body 3 times a week with compound movements (squat, deads, rows, chins, bench, military press etc) with a decent volume and the eating will take care of itself.

I don’t know what half of that stuff you’re taking even is. But you’ve proved it doesn’t work.

I don’t mean to sound rude, but it’s really basic stuff. Lift heavy and eat lots of real food.