Missing Prescribed Reps

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
But even at 3x8-10, either choose a weight that would get you something like 10/8/8 or whatever, or find a weight you can get 8-10 on in the first set, and the second two sets are just whatever, 5-6 reps or something.[/quote]

So (based on your experience/thinking) which would you say is more important: weight used, or hitting the reps?

Given the options, which would you prefer to do?

1. 100# x 10, 6, 5 (total load 2100#; total reps 21)
  2. 100# x 10, 95# x 9, 90# x 9 (total load 2665#; total reps 28)

Assuming equal rest times, etc.[/quote]

10/9/9 will be a more conservative weight than 10/6/5, so you can’t really use 100# for both examples, and from there this just becomes a nonsensical discussion to have.

This guy is sweating small details on assistance work.

EDIT: To answer your question, I think that weight used is more important. I like to lift in the 1-8 rep ranges, and I feel that for me any of them will build strength or size. I frequently do heavy triples, doubles and singles, and some extra work for 4-8 reps. Anything over that and I lose focus.

[/quote]

Admittedly bad example; 8,6,5 would have been more realistic. Thanks for answering the question though.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
But even at 3x8-10, either choose a weight that would get you something like 10/8/8 or whatever, or find a weight you can get 8-10 on in the first set, and the second two sets are just whatever, 5-6 reps or something.[/quote]

So (based on your experience/thinking) which would you say is more important: weight used, or hitting the reps?

Given the options, which would you prefer to do?

1. 100# x 10, 6, 5 (total load 2100#; total reps 21)
  2. 100# x 10, 95# x 9, 90# x 9 (total load 2665#; total reps 28)

Assuming equal rest times, etc.[/quote]

10/9/9 will be a more conservative weight than 10/6/5, so you can’t really use 100# for both examples, and from there this just becomes a nonsensical discussion to have.

This guy is sweating small details on assistance work.

EDIT: To answer your question, I think that weight used is more important. I like to lift in the 1-8 rep ranges, and I feel that for me any of them will build strength or size. I frequently do heavy triples, doubles and singles, and some extra work for 4-8 reps. Anything over that and I lose focus.

[/quote]

Admittedly bad example; 8,6,5 would have been more realistic. Thanks for answering the question though.[/quote]

If you want to discuss training methods feel free to PM me. Always interested in learning other peoples ways.

Got some great feedback and I guess it does depend on the “program” if you are following one. So my take away for now is this:

-I might be over-analyzing, but it is understandable considering I felt I wasted too many years in the gym with no game plan, no sense of what works and what doesn’t. But will focus more on just “pushing weights” for the bottom line since my nutrition game plan is fairly solid.

-Since I do undulating periodization, hypertrophy based weeks will favor reps > load. Will drop weight, check the ego and get the reps. Strength based weeks load > reps and will be willing to “round up” and utilize cluster sets based on “feel”.

[quote]giograves wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
So you calculated your 8-10 RM? How about you just experiment a bit and stop using calculators?

[/quote]

Never used a calculator and felt I was just spinning my wheels. I did 8-10 on loads I could have done much more with.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Prescribed by what/whom?[/quote]

idk, the “bodybuilder” goldylocks zone?

8-10, 4-6, 12-15, doesnt really matter though, just was looking for the prefered strat when you cant hit the targeted reps for all the sets.

Example: BP at 75% Max (170) target 3x8-10. Hit 8 the first with 1 in the tank, then 5 the next 2. Decided to go for a 4th set to make up the reps… others drop the wieght? others rest-pause, etc??? Basically looking for a T-Nation 2 cents.

I certainly do understand Chris Shugart’s 8 Ah-ha moments #2 effort trumps training programs, which is why the dude that does nothing right looks better than me. Trouble is I just dont really know what this “effort” is short of going to failure all the time and 60s rest, which wrecks my recovery. [/quote]

I didn’t keep reading after this comment. I will afterwards. Don’t know if anyone has said this? Why not drop the weight 5#s and see if you can hit the reps? As soon as you hit at least 8 reps on the final set go up 5#s. And work this until you hit 8 reps on the last set. Repeat. Personally I wouldn’t do more sets, you aleady know you can move that weight 8 times= so now we know. Now back off 5-10#s and start. You wont have to have that thought in your head anymore, and just keep working until you hit that 8rep on final set. Good luck hope this helps

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Most intermediate people do this intuitively. For beginners, a handy tool is the “Rate of Perceived Exertion” (RPE). It’s a numeric scale and works like this:

This takes care of the intensity part and the fact that your ability to display strength is not all that predictable.
[/quote]

Stumbled upon the Robertson article that covered this “Simple Strength”: A bell sort of went of in my head. Last couple of sessions if I wanted to do 12 reps, I went with a load that would be a 14RM leaving 2 in the tank. When I’m ready to overreach, now I have a new parameter I can toggle and log.

That aside, dropping load on the BP STILL resulted in the same 8-5-5 executed. I think my weakest link there is just the front delts fatigue in a hurry. Would high rep training help there (14-20)?

5/3/1