T Nation

Missing a Day of Lifting?

Suppose your in the middle of a 4 week cycle and you get sick and have to miss a couple of lifting days. Do you try and pick up where you left off or just start the entire cycle over again? Also if you are playing a sport how do you schedule your lifting around games in season?

Pick up where you left off.

i always restart the cycle.

I would just pick up where you left off.

As far as in season training, I would suggest 2 full body workouts per week, hopefully scheduled on days you don’t have practice (if possible).

For example, I have practices on tuesday and thursday, and games on saturday. My schedule looks like this:

Monday- lift
Tuesday- practice
Wednesday- lift
Thursday- practice
Friday- rest
Saturday- game
Sunday- rest

Also, the in season is not the time to be pushing for new PRs, your goal is to maintain your strength while putting as little stress on your body as possible. Save your energy for your practices.

I repeat the week I became ill.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Also, the in season is not the time to be pushing for new PRs, your goal is to maintain your strength while putting as little stress on your body as possible.[/quote]

Most athletes learn this the hard way.

Give up on lifting forever, you have atrophied too much to ever return to the gym!

You could always run the 5/3/1 2-day-a-week template or Joe DeFranco’s in-season WS4SB program (which is awesome , btw). I personally prefer WS4SB in-season template because of the variety that it offers. I get bored easily, so I keep training mixed up and like to maintain my muscle mass and strength.

CS

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Give up on lifting forever, you have atrophied too much to ever return to the gym!
[/quote]

x2.

I would start the week over again, or restart the cycle. If you play sports, you shouldn’t be heavy lifting more than 1-2 times a week, as you are in season. I see so many of my fellow peers max benching every damn week. Even the day before a big match.