T Nation

Missed Meal = Lag?

Sometimes during the workday I miss a meal, going probably 4 hours without getting any fuel in my body. When I finally do get something to eat (healthy normal sized meal), I feel a little laggy after and was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent that, other than eating on a normal schedule. I just didn’t know if it was better to focus or boost certain nutrients after a long stretch of no fuel.

Also, I was wondering if the community had any suggestions for healthy snacks to carry around at all times. I have almonds with me almost always, but would like to change it up a bit. I try to stick to healthy whole foods, thoughts?

Don’t skip it?
A protein shake is a good quick fix when you know you’ll be having a long stretch without a proper meal.
Maybe make some of those no-cook protein bars?

[quote]Nyral wrote:
Don’t skip it?
A protein shake is a good quick fix when you know you’ll be having a long stretch without a proper meal.
Maybe make some of those no-cook protein bars?[/quote]

Yea I hear ya, the only problem is that I am in and out of the OR and don’t really have a place to be mixing shakes. I also try to stay away from protein bars because of all the crap that’s mixed into them. Just looked up a recipe for the no-cook protein bars that you recommended and they look great, thanks for the heads up on that. I posted it below for anybody whose interested. Any other ideas?

1 1/2 cups dry oatmeal
2 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
2 tablespoons flax seeds or hemp seeds, finely ground
1 cup powdered nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter
1/2 cup water (more or less, depending on the protein powder)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)

Mix, spread on pan, and freeze, then cut.

OR would stand for operating room? How can you not have a place to put water in a bottle and shake it?

I carry the Oatmeal Detour bars for that specific purpose. Good lil snacks for when you cant eat. They are like 450calories, approx 10g of fat (i say that because one bar is 7g and the other is 12g), bout 60g carbs, and 30g of protein.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
OR would stand for operating room? How can you not have a place to put water in a bottle and shake it?[/quote]

Because it is a sterile environment and I cannot bring something like that in there, and because I am constantly going between different hospitals, I don’t have one place where I could keep something like that in the lounge. Anything that I bring with me would have to be kept in the car.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
I carry the Oatmeal Detour bars for that specific purpose. Good lil snacks for when you cant eat. They are like 450calories, approx 10g of fat (i say that because one bar is 7g and the other is 12g), bout 60g carbs, and 30g of protein. [/quote]

Yea I used to love those things, problem is their loaded with filler and I am trying to stick to whole foods.

Blend oatmeal with a casein blend, have a handful of almonds with it and you have a well-balanced meal. You could keep it in a cooler in the car.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Blend oatmeal with a casein blend, have a handful of almonds with it and you have a well-balanced meal. You could keep it in a cooler in the car.[/quote]

Great idea, keep 'em rolling.

Home made beef jerkies

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Blend oatmeal with a casein blend, have a handful of almonds with it and you have a well-balanced meal. You could keep it in a cooler in the car.

Great idea, keep 'em rolling.[/quote]

If you aren’t big on carbs you can always keep a tub of cottage cheese in a cooler and have some peanutbutter or nuts with it.

Whey in milk in a cooler in the car. eat with almonds

dude just leave the house everyday with pre-measured whey in a shaker bottle.

when you get a chance fill it with water. or stop by the hospitals cafeteria and put milk in it.

Thibaudeau seems to be suggesting that going for 4 hours without eating is fine… part of the pulsing protocol seems to be avoiding a constant level of amino acids in the bloodstream.

But since that’s not what you’re asking, a protein shake is probably consumed the fastest. You can drink it in 20 -30 seconds or less. If you buy something pre-packaged, it may appear more ‘socially acceptable’ among the staff, if that’s an issue (as opposed to something that appears to be a home brew). If I need to eat and I am around professional clients, I would prefer something that didn’t stand out, if possible. Plus I don’t want to take time to wash a shaker bottle at work, with clients around.

Great suggestions, starting 'em today.