Missed 3rd Squat because I Propelled the Bar Off my Back After Completing the Lift

Move your hands out and pull the bar down across your back. You feel tight being do compact and squished in right there but, you have no lat and upper back tightness/control with your hands in that close. It’s that simple. Has nothing to do with being to strong or over firing your glutes you just are using or not using your lats. That bar should never leave your back and it it does period flat you just weren’t tight enough.

no. you don’t understand. What you’re saying makes no sense. If we are to assume that weights are just gonna be popping off people’s backs at anything less than a maximal load, then people would be hitting near maxes with their first attempts to avoid this. That obviously doesn’t happen. If my max is 550ish, my first attempt is going to be around 480, second attempt 530ish, and based on speed of that rep, I’ll figure out #3. At no point in that equation is the bar popping off my back because loads are submaximal, PARTICULARLY if the rep is a grinder. I doubt, in this case, that the OP would have even come up with the weight if he had gone much heavier at all. He picked this weight fairly accurately in my opinion. I don’t see how you think otherwise.

Wear wrist straps, wrap it like a cast down your forearm, you will feel no pain, and allow you to grip the bar.

You lose it not because it was too low, but because you didn’t have a grip for that low placement. Straps allow a full grip which will allow you to pull it into your back more.

Also, stay tight at the top. If you stand up fully, relax a little, then the bar will drift down and back, which you will feel, tighten up, and the bar is now too far back and it’s gone

Ill take one last try.

Over arousal for the selected weight is what causes this. As weights get heavier the arousal level must also increase. Logically do you actually believe that your arms can hold down a weight that the combined effort of your legs, hips and back can push with max force. Sorry, but the arms are just not strong enough to do that.

When leverage increases near the top of the squat the lifter needs to slow down the upward momentum of lighter weights. With a max effort the bar speed will be slow enough such that this will not be an issue.

I used to have the same problem as the OP and what solved it was the technique of appropriate arousal taught by another lifter who’s gym I trained at for a year a long time ago.

Next time, read the ENTIRE post carefully before responding. It’s a freaking squat, it’s not rocket science.