Misha 753 Deadlift x 10 Reps

[quote]michael_xyz wrote:
Yes I saw that but I don’t get it… he’s like 100lbs below the record? 100lbs isn’t nothing at that level but at the same time he is not a powerlifter. He is a jack of all trades but also incredibly good at all of them.[/quote]
You’re compared to who you compete against. With respect to the fact that he was competing in a powerlifting meet, Misha was compared to other powerlifters. Modifiers such as not being exclusively a powerlifter or coming off an injury cannot be applied. There no handicaps in powerlifting that add lbs to your total (this condition also excludes weight classes and wilks). It is what its. As a powerlifter and at that particular meet, Misha was not “top level” with respect to what others have done. Does this mean Misha is weak? No. Does this Misha is a poor lifter? No. Does this make Misha any less awesome? No. It’s just a limited comparison based on one observation.

Unfortunatly T-Nation did not have a Jack of all trades section for me to post this in. We all know what the records are for PL, but for what Misha does he is a leaguge of his own.

[quote]fattymcfatso wrote:
Unfortunatly T-Nation did not have a Jack of all trades section for me to post this in. We all know what the records are for PL, but for what Misha does he is a leaguge of his own.[/quote]
You’re talking about strongman right? lolz

Well… he competed in strongman, never did too great, but I can’t think of any other athlete who is or has been as well rounded as him, while still being super competitive in whatever he does.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Yes I saw that but I don’t get it… he’s like 100lbs below the record? 100lbs isn’t nothing at that level but at the same time he is not a powerlifter. He is a jack of all trades but also incredibly good at all of them.[/quote]
You’re compared to who you compete against. With respect to the fact that he was competing in a powerlifting meet, Misha was compared to other powerlifters. Modifiers such as not being exclusively a powerlifter or coming off an injury cannot be applied. There no handicaps in powerlifting that add lbs to your total (this condition also excludes weight classes and wilks). It is what its. As a powerlifter and at that particular meet, Misha was not “top level” with respect to what others have done. Does this mean Misha is weak? No. Does this Misha is a poor lifter? No. Does this make Misha any less awesome? No. It’s just a limited comparison based on one observation.[/quote]

Yes, this.

It amuses me how some people go LOOKING to get butthurt for any reason at all. My original comment in that first thread was that his lifts were really impressive, and he wasn’t built for powerlifting. If any idiot put 2 seconds of thought into it, it’s clear I was saying that DESPITE not being built for a sport he still is doing quite well in it.

Nothing against whatever is said.

I am still confused though. He is 100lbs below the world record. Compare him as 100% powerlifter through and through - that is still very good.

Or am I totally on the wrong foot here?

I am still confused though. He is 100lbs below the world record. Compare him as 100% powerlifter through and through - that is still very good.

Or am I totally on the wrong foot here?[/quote]

Not sure what you still don’t understand. Maybe read Spar4tee’s post 10 times in a row and you will get there.

Or am I totally on the wrong foot here?[/quote]

You are correct. There are only a handful of men in the history of Powerlifting to ever deadlift over 900 lbs. I would say less than 10.
Off the top of my head:
Gary Heisey
Ed Coan @ 220!!
K K
Benni
Bolton
Misha
Mark Henry
I know there are more but not many.
Only 2 Benni and Bolton above 1 k and K K is right aaround 936 I believe. Misha is probably top 5 of all time with a 916.
I guess I could have just Googled this stuff. Someone probably will and correct me.

Poor bar…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Take that down before we are reminded that this is not “top level” for a guy his size…[/quote]

As an overall powerlifter, no, he’s not. Don’t see why some people gotta be all booty-tickled by that fact.

It’s still very impressive. [/quote]

Haha I know hungry - I was just messing with you. A lot of people def took what you said out-of-context in that previous thread.

He will never get strong lifting these light weights.

[quote]fattymcfatso wrote:
Well… he competed in strongman, never did too great, but I can’t think of any other athlete who is or has been as well rounded as him, while still being super competitive in whatever he does. [/quote]

I’m not sure what your definition of not doing too great is, but I have to disagree with you. He was second at IFSA Worlds* in 2006 and 2007, second at WSM 2010 and second place at the Arnold 2009. I think he may’ve taken 3rd at IFSA Worlds in 2005. He’s never won a big one, but I’d call a collection of podium finishes more than respectable

As for how good of a powerlifter he is, this conversation reminds me of one on another board where somebody asked something to the effect of “what do you think is a ‘good’ raw bench for a SHW?” and most of the answers came back that unless you were benching over 650 raw, you didn’t have a good raw bench. Somebody replied with something like “Powerlifting: the only sport in the world where if you’re not in the top 1% all-time, you suck.”

Lol. Like 30-40 people have ever done 600+ raw. Quite a silly forum (inb4 it was T-Nation).

Is the list as big as 30-40 for over 600lb benches?

THat video of MIsha is good but I prefer Poundstone’s rep strength on this 800x9

as well as Magnusson’s 888x5

[quote]ros1816 wrote:
Is the list as big as 30-40 for over 600lb benches?

THat video of MIsha is good but I prefer Poundstone’s rep strength on this 800x9

as well as Magnusson’s 888x5

[/quote]

2 liter of Coke, the ultimate peri-workout nutrition.

dont take this out of context, but it always surprises me to see strongmen using straps on dl’s, with all the fucking carrys and shit they do i never would have thought that would be the weak point.

[quote]bignate wrote:
dont take this out of context, but it always surprises me to see strongmen using straps on dl’s, with all the fucking carrys and shit they do i never would have thought that would be the weak point. [/quote]
I don’t think it’s so much that their grip is weak. Straps are allowed in competition, so they’re going to use them. The thing about straps though is that, when you use them, they completely alter the way you have to setup your deadlift. Most would argue that the setup is the most important portion of any lift. Training in straps trains the competition setup.

Benny’s pulling just looks so beautiful. Such ridiculous brute strength, he looked like he had another 2 or 3 in him with that 888 lbs. So insane.

I quit

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:
dont take this out of context, but it always surprises me to see strongmen using straps on dl’s, with all the fucking carrys and shit they do i never would have thought that would be the weak point. [/quote]
I don’t think it’s so much that their grip is weak. Straps are allowed in competition, so they’re going to use them. The thing about straps though is that, when you use them, they completely alter the way you have to setup your deadlift. Most would argue that the setup is the most important portion of any lift. Training in straps trains the competition setup.[/quote]

huh, makes sense, i actually just hate trying to strap in for deads, just takes time sitting in the pocket and makes it really hard to get a good starting position for me anyways.