T Nation

Miscalculated Wave B of Deadlift Workout This Week

It is my second week on the programme. I forgot my notes so quite stupidly I calculated my working sets as 70%,80%,90% of my 1rm.

Of course the proper way to do it is 80%, 85%, 90%.

Will this mistake impact negatively on my results? My routine is the boring but big routine and I just about finished those sets of 5x10.

No way. Keep moving forward and don’t sweat it. Don’t let this impact your focus.

No it isn’t.

That’s week two alright. Week one is 65/75/85; week two 70/80/90; and week three 75/85/95[quote=“sevva888, post:1, topic:229410”]
of my 1rm.
[/quote]

That’s stupid though. Probably the reason this happened:

At a guess you haven’t read a single thing Jim has written. You would do well to change that. It becomes very simple once you’ve actually read the principles.

Start here

I’ve read all of that and all the material on boring but big.

My calculations were based from this guide on muscleandstrength.com which describes the workout waves as follows:

Workout Waves. Each workout is performed 4 times during the course of a Wendler’s 5/3/1 mesocycle. Simply stated, you will have 4 bench press workouts, 4 squat workouts, 4 deadlift workouts, and 4 overhead press workouts. Each specific workout (A-B-C-D) is comprised of 4 waves, or 4 different workouts. These waves are:
Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5

Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3

Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1

Wave D. Deload wave – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Also, I have calculated everything from 90% of my 1rm.

It would do you good to read what has actually been written by Jim instead of what someone else has written.

In the original 5/3/1 book there are two options. A lighter option for week two and a heavier (2nd edition page 23).
Option one is 70/80/90 and option two is 80/85/90.

It’s been so long since I’ve read it i forgot about it. In any case, Jim goes on to say that he’s used both options but recommends option one over option two. FYI.

In any case, I would go with the 70/80/90 option like Jim recommend - just my opinion.