T Nation

Mirrors and Other Gym Crap

I am really sick of mirrors in my gym (Gold’s Mt. View, California). When I am squatting, deadlifting, or doing the power clean and trying to keep my eyes looking at a fixed point, it’s distracting to have those mirrors with my reflection in it.

Also I get sick of seeing guys pontificate in front of those mirrors…and they (mirrors) are almost everywhere in my gym so there is no escaping them.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am really sick of mirrors in my gym (Gold’s Mt. View, California). When I am squatting, deadlifting, or doing the power clean and trying to keep my eyes looking at a fixed point, it’s distracting to have those mirrors with my reflection in it.

Also I get sick of seeing guys pontificate in front of those mirrors…and they (mirrors) are almost everywhere in my gym so there is no escaping them.[/quote]

I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.[/quote]

Was there a mirror on the wall he hit?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.

Was there a mirror on the wall he hit?[/quote]

Unfortunately no.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.

Was there a mirror on the wall he hit?

Unfortunately no.
[/quote]

Oh well, still a good story.

And just think, if you hadn’t had a mirror to look into, you may have spun around and taken out some unsuspecting gym goer walking by the squat rack!

[quote]entheogens wrote:
When I am squatting, deadlifting, or doing the power clean and trying to keep my eyes looking at a fixed point, it’s distracting to have those mirrors with my reflection in it.
[/quote]

I used to use the mirrors, but then my training partner introduced me to the great strategy of turning around 180 degrees and having the mirrors face your back.

I suppose you’re out of luck if your gym has 360 degree mirrors and you can see the other side easily.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.[/quote]

I bet he was distracted by somebody grunting too loud. They need a lunk-alarm at your gym.

haha, funny story Zap, got a good laugh outa me.

I could care less if the mirrors were there or not.

It does make me laugh/smile when I see some scrub doing curls in front of them… or the head turn while doing tricep pushdowns. I make sure they see me laugh too. Always.

I probably am not the nicest person ever, but if you are trying very very hard, you don’t have time to check out your triceps in the mirror while lifting.

Not to say i’m not guilty of either, but I only do it once in awhile. Hell, most of the time i wear a fleece at the gym.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I am really sick of mirrors in my gym (Gold’s Mt. View, California). When I am squatting, deadlifting, or doing the power clean and trying to keep my eyes looking at a fixed point, it’s distracting to have those mirrors with my reflection in it.

Also I get sick of seeing guys pontificate in front of those mirrors…and they (mirrors) are almost everywhere in my gym so there is no escaping them.

I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.[/quote]

How close was the wall to the treadmill? That doesn’t sound very safe.

I was squatting heavy(for me) a while back and some fake baked milf with plastic boobs pulled a bench almost directly behind me where I was doing my thing. I didn’t think too much of it until I started my next set and saw she brought over some db’s and started to do flys. I thought her sports bra was going to rip in half! Anyway I racked the weight after like half a rep and tried to cover up my raging erection with my towel.

i always do curls in front of a mirror…dumbbell, barbell, cable, high cable…whatever…

and i always turn and look at myself when i’m doing pressdowns…didn’t know there were little guys that would call me a scrub for doing that…at least not to my face that’s for sure…

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
haha, funny story Zap, got a good laugh outa me.

I could care less if the mirrors were there or not.

It does make me laugh/smile when I see some scrub doing curls in front of them… or the head turn while doing tricep pushdowns. I make sure they see me laugh too. Always.

I probably am not the nicest person ever, but if you are trying very very hard, you don’t have time to check out your triceps in the mirror while lifting.

Not to say i’m not guilty of either, but I only do it once in awhile. Hell, most of the time i wear a fleece at the gym.[/quote]

In my misspent youth I worked in a Health Spa that had mirrors on every wall of 4 rooms, if you knew where to look you could see every square inch of those 4 rooms without moving .I am guessing those 4 rooms totaled 8000 to 10,000 sq. ft.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I am really sick of mirrors in my gym (Gold’s Mt. View, California). When I am squatting, deadlifting, or doing the power clean and trying to keep my eyes looking at a fixed point, it’s distracting to have those mirrors with my reflection in it.

Also I get sick of seeing guys pontificate in front of those mirrors…and they (mirrors) are almost everywhere in my gym so there is no escaping them.

I was squatting a couple months ago when I heard some dude make a whole bunch of noise while running (fast) on the treadmill. I looked in the mirror in time to see him go flying into the wall.

I am glad the mirror was there that day.

How close was the wall to the treadmill? That doesn’t sound very safe.[/quote]

Only a couple feet. There are a few marks on the wall. It looks like he isn’t the only one to do it.

It was funny as hell but the kid is actually one of the few guys in the gym that actually lifts weights with any intensity. I felt kind of bad for him but he laughed it off.

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
I probably am not the nicest person ever, but if you are trying very very hard, you don’t have time to check out your triceps in the mirror while lifting. [/quote]

Yeah, for sure! You should see the SUPER LOW levels of intensity put forth by the lifters in Pumping Iron. You should go to Gold’s in Venice and see all of the bodybuilders there looking at themselves in the mirrors. If only they’d train hard.

Most people who bodybuild look at themselves in the mirror. That the OP doesn’t like mirrors makes me think he doesn’t have much to look at.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Also I get sick of seeing guys pontificate in front of those mirrors…and they (mirrors) are almost everywhere in my gym so there is no escaping them.[/quote]

Why? While it’s undeniably obnoxious to see guys with 14" arms or really fat guys flexing in the mirror, I have no problem when larger guys do it. It’s not the looking in the mirror that bothers me. It’s the guys who look in the mirror and “see” something that does not exist.

If you’re bothered by the big guys who do it, you’re likely jealous.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I was squatting heavy(for me) a while back and some fake baked milf with plastic boobs pulled a bench almost directly behind me where I was doing my thing. I didn’t think too much of it until I started my next set and saw she brought over some db’s and started to do flys. I thought her sports bra was going to rip in half! Anyway I racked the weight after like half a rep and tried to cover up my raging erection with my towel. [/quote]

+1 Mirrors

[quote]Only a couple feet. There are a few marks on the wall. It looks like he isn’t the only one to do it.

It was funny as hell but the kid is actually one of the few guys in the gym that actually lifts weights with any intensity. I felt kind of bad for him but he laughed it off.[/quote]

I thought you were supposed to have at least 5 feet of space behind treadmills, to prevent injuries.

Sorry, I am taking a law class this semester and we talked about that in class. We read about a lady who did the same thing as that guy in your gym, except she banged her head on the wall, suffered a concussion, and sued the gym.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Only a couple feet. There are a few marks on the wall. It looks like he isn’t the only one to do it.

It was funny as hell but the kid is actually one of the few guys in the gym that actually lifts weights with any intensity. I felt kind of bad for him but he laughed it off.

I thought you were supposed to have at least 5 feet of space behind treadmills, to prevent injuries.

Sorry, I am taking a law class this semester and we talked about that in class. We read about a lady who did the same thing as that guy in your gym, except she banged her head on the wall, suffered a concussion, and sued the gym.[/quote]

I will measure tomorrow and report back.

I look in the mirrors (which are fairly inescapable) for two reasons:

  1. To check my form.

  2. To be aware of my surroundings, like the doofus who grabs a pair of dumbbells and starts wind-milling them around his body regardless of the fact that other people might get smacked by them.

On the other topic; the treadmills at our Y are only a couple of feet from the wall.

You don’t have to do that. I was just thinking that was the standard amount of room needed for safety.

…on second thought, go ahead and measure, I’m curious now lol.