T Nation

Mirror-Phobia? Naked-phobia?

I pose the following bolded questions to you all in hopes of having a bit of a discussion on self-image.

[b]Do you have a love/hate affair with the mirror? Do you like/dislike looking at your nude self?

Why?[/b]

Since a lot of body building is about physique and the building and sculpting of muscle, it would make sense to say that “image” is a fairly important issue.

The real question is, how important is that image to you or just the concept of “image” in general?

This problem was covered in depth on the TV series “arrested development” I believe they call it the “never nude” disorder.

I never watched that series, I’m afraid.

That’s something to look up, thanks!

Not to denigrate your query, but I must point out the obvious…Have your ever noticed that the vast majority of individuals who identify as “nudists” sport the most out-of-shape and unappealing (“normal”?) physiques?..

Clearly “looking good naked” is not a priority to them, yet they are never publicly critisized as viciously as bodybuilders/weight trainers…

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Not to denigrate your query, but I must point out the obvious…Have your ever noticed that the vast majority of individuals who identify as “nudists” sport the most out-of-shape and unappealing (“normal”?) physiques?..

Clearly “looking good naked” is not a priority to them, yet they are never publicly critisized as viciously as bodybuilders/weight trainers…[/quote]

I do notice this phenomenon, but I admit that I have no idea why this happens in the first place.

Where I definitely see lots of room for improvement, I’m still comfortable in my own skin, so I’m comfortable seeing myself in the mirror and in the nude.

I really have no idea why body builders or weight trainers get the flak they do for their physiques.

My only guess is that the flak they’re getting is mostly stemming from a really really bad case of jealousy.

People are jealous that BBs and WTs are able to attain a better shape and form than themselves and of course, pick on them.

To those people I say “Eff off!” ;D

Who are they to criticize anyway?

But people still pick on the nudists or the people who are comfortable baring their skin casually because they’re jealous that these people - ripped or not (and oftentimes, not, like you said) - can be so comfortable with themselves when they themselves can’t be.

I don’t make fun of nudists or body builders. Instead, I make fun of girls with “muffin top” syndrome, who flaunt their rolls of fat between low-riding pants and short tops.

I love mirrors. I’m probably the sexiest man alive today, so every time I see a mirror I stop and admire myself, sign autographs, then admire myself for a few more minutes. This is all done naked of course.

[quote]King of Vice wrote:
I love mirrors. I’m probably the sexiest man alive today, so every time I see a mirror I stop and admire myself, sign autographs, then admire myself for a few more minutes. This is all done naked of course.[/quote]

I learned how to hold the pen with my penis. The crowds love it!

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
I don’t make fun of nudists or body builders. Instead, I make fun of girls with “muffin top” syndrome, who flaunt their rolls of fat between low-riding pants and short tops.[/quote]

well…there goes breakfast.

[quote]Dem-E wrote:
[b]Do you have a love/hate affair with the mirror? Do you like/dislike looking at your nude self?

Why?[/b]

[/quote]

I don’t look in the mirror much, but I like being naked.

Why?
Even when I was a tiny little baby, I would take off my clothes and run around naked.

I don’t know why. Never even questioned it until now.

[quote]Flop Hat wrote:
This problem was covered in depth on the TV series “arrested development” I believe they call it the “never nude” disorder. [/quote]

hahahaha. The best is when that dude is sitting in the shower crying all the time. rofl.

Eh, clothes are over rated.

[quote]Flop Hat wrote:
This problem was covered in depth on the TV series “arrested development” I believe they call it the “never nude” disorder. [/quote]

What a bomb ass show.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Flop Hat wrote:
This problem was covered in depth on the TV series “arrested development” I believe they call it the “never nude” disorder.

What a bomb ass show.[/quote]

I’m not sure if by “bomb ass show” you mean good or bad. I can tell you I loved it. I laughed hysterically every episode. For the life of me I can’t figure out how it got canceled but so much crap survives for so long.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Eh, clothes are over rated.[/quote]

Man I totally disagree. The vast majority of people look better with clothes on. There are few women (and zero men) that I come across in public that I have any desire to see naked. On the otherhand, I bet most folks think that my majority rule does not apply to tham. It’s kind of like the principle that most folks think that they are better drivers than they actually are. Most folks think they look better naked than they actually do.

As in good. Very original. Very unpredictable. Still on g4 tv