Olympic weightlifting log till 2024? and 80kg chinup

Hello everyone. I’m creating a log to document my workouts.
I’m from Singapore, have been working out since i was 18 so more than 15 years of working out consistently. At the beginning (2005) i was doing men’s health magazine workouts then got into Madcow 5x5 for a looooooong time. lol. alot of following programs blindly and not becoming stronger.

Next I got into olympic lifting for a short while in 2010-2013 but didnt make any progress. I guess there was alot of blindly believing about the “eliteness of olympic lifting” (same as above) and didnt focus on getting stronger as well as doing the proper ground work to build strength.

Since last year i’ve decide to make a change and focus on becoming stronger and I am the strongest that i’ve ever been in overall body. Some of my stats are

Height:165cm
Weight 75kg
Squat: 150kg (April 2021, not much focus on this)
Chinup: 50kg (Jan 2021)
Dips: 30kg x 10 (Recently, done as an accessory)

One of my goals is to cut till an 8pack this year haha but ive not decided when in the year I should do it. I also need to read up on how to diet down lmao.
For my goal currently is to get a bodyweight weighted chinup (75kg estimated), so this thread is to track how it goes.

23/6
neutral grip pullup
3x10x10kg
(the lactic acid build up was bad lol)

squats
5x100kg
i started with 60kg and both my legs were convulsing from dormant muscles not being used in months. i did a few more warmup sets with 60kg and went onto incline bench to let my legs rest. AFter bench, I went back and did a set of 5.

incline bench
4x10x30kg

3 Likes

25/6
neutral grip pullups
2x3x40kg
this was difficult because i didnt have time to warm up properly and had to rush back home. if i had about 15-20 mins, i think this would have been alot easier.
3x3x35kg
this was easy as piss. 3 mins max between sets
was using large bumper plates and working in with someone who was squatting. the plates were bumping into the other guy’s loaded bar (he was resting of course) so it was a psychological barrier to hold back and not pull myself up using max effort. i ended up using a pin to circumvent the problem so plates were lower and didnt crash into the barbell.

26/6
back extensions
4x20x5kg
my favourite exercise

skipping rope for about 5+mins?
calves were hella sore after. wanted to do some cardio and got influenced by /fit. LOL. stretched the hell out of it the next few days

27/6
neutral grip pullups
3x10x10kg
so much easier now. not much lactic acid build up, still cant hit 10 reps at a go. usually have to pause at 6 to reset.

dips
3x6x30kg
easy stuff

wrist roller
played around with 2.5kg

squats
3x5x100kg
so much easier. the skipping rope from yesterday helped warm up my ankles for today’s exercise lol. warmed up and finished in 20 mins

1 Like

30/6
heavy top set 3x 41.25kg
3x35kg
4x35kg
2x3x35kg

felt intimidated before starting top set but once i started the rep, i knew i would get this set.

dips
3x6x30kg

back extensions
4x12x5kg
reps were done slowly; 1 sec up, weight held on head. still a great pump for my lower back. just felt like experimenting with rep tempo. will do this more often

wrist roller
3x30 reps per hand x 5kg

skipping rope
300 reps broken to 5 sets of 60. about 10 mins?
calves got used to the movement, not pumped as last time. Feels good! Will try to get maybe 1k skips in eventually?

1 Like

2/7/21
light day
neutral grip pullups
10x11.25kg
2x10kg

dips
6x30kg
8x30kg
7x30kg

skipping rope 10mins

4/7/21

had a terrible nights sleep. kid kept waking fully at 2am and then 5am.
Brought her down for a walk at 5am when she finally slept.
Woke up at 830am for the day.
Workout was good surprising cos I took a hella long time to warm up. took a long hot shower and blow dried myself from head to toe. That helped to warm my body up lololol.

neutral grip pullups
3x42.5kg (PR)
3x4x30kg

dips (about 3 mins rest inbetween)
7x30kg
8x30kg
7x30kg
easy stuff. previous workout i did was rushed so i struggled with last set. but took my time and it was easy this time round. getting harder to push out the last set during the past few workouts.

incline bench
3x8x20kg

one arm cable pulldown
2x12x40kg

back extension
3x10x15kg barbell

my gym has a hyperextension bench but im quite short (165cm) so i cant fully extend normally with the device. the solution I found was to prop up my feet by placing plates so that my height is increased and i get full range of movement.

good workout today. took 2hrs to do 4 exercises haha. drank 3 100plus.

6/7
80 skips x 8 sets
feeling goooood. form breakdown at last few reps due to fatigue. maybe i will do skipping without rope and see how it feels.

7/7
dips
2x8x30kg
1x7x30kg
did dips before pullups to see if it affected me. didnt seem so

chinups
11x10kg
2x10kg
wow this wasnt fun. i had to reset my grip at rep 7 cos my hand was slipping

barbell rows
2x5x80kg
surprised i could do it lol

squats
2x5x110kg
5x90kg
IT FELT HEAVY

back extensions
4x20

finger curls
3z15x25kg

wrist extension
3x15x3.75kg

9/7/21
neutral grip pullups
3x43.75kg (PR)
3x4x30kg

dips
3x8x30kg

squats
2x5x100kg
5x110kg

had many beers after that gym session

10/7

skipping rope

60x10sets

11/7

neutral grip pullups

12x10kg

3x8x10kg

AMAZING LACTIC ACID BUILD UP. LATS AND BICEPS WERE SO TIGHT.

Dips

3x8x30kg

Pinch Block

Maxed out 25kg both hands

3x25 secs at 15kg

radial deviation

2x15x2.5kg

seated good morning

2x20xbarbell

13/7/21
had breakfast at 11am and skipped lunch. my sets felt quite heavy, possible cos i didnt eat.

neutral grip pullups
3x45kg (PR)
5x35kg (PR)
2x4x35kg

dips
2x8x30kg
5x32.5kg

cable twists
3x15x12.5kg

squats
5x100kg
5x110kg

2 Likes

Doing some good work here, and I see your main goal right now is relative strength with the BW chinup goal, which is pretty cool.

The one question I have is about your limited exercise selection. You’re doing mostly 3 exercises, which is okay because pullups, dips and squats are some of the best exercises that there are, but are you limited in equipment? I ask because you might benefit from some more upper body work in other planes of movement, as accessories for shoulder health if nothing else…

Thanks man! You’re doing pretty well yourself.
Actually i didnt know i was supposed to do other movements haha. I thought pullups and dips didnt need other complementary body work. I do ensure that my upper body all warmed and ready for most movements before starting. So far it feels fine… Wont mind to hear what you have to suggest tho!

14/7
Back extensions slowly done
3x15x5kg

incline sit ups
15,13 (failed 14 rep due to abs cramping),15
the abs cramped when i tucked my legs in. when i straightened my legs, my groin felt a twinge. hmmm

skipping rope
8x70 skips
2 mins nonstop skipping

15/7
neutral grip pullups
13x10kg
2x10x10kg

I am really starting to hate high rep days. first rep of 13 was manageable, i broke down the count into smaller numbers instead of 1-13. not having that mental barrier helped much. the two sets of 10s sucked. had to come down and readjust grip.

dips
3x5x35kg

inclined bench
8x40kg
7x50kg
8x50kg
surprisingly managable

1 Like

Well, it’s not necessarily that you’re supposed to do something else, but hitting your shoulders from a variety of angles will help bulletproof your shoulders against injury. You’re actually in a better place than someone who, for instance does nothing but bench press, but you could still benefit from more variety.

I’d suggest some overhead pressing and bench pressing, doesn’t even have to be heavy, and some bent over rows and face pulls or band pull-aparts. If you want to stick with bodyweight-type movements, or if you don’t have access to a bench, go for push-ups, handstand push-ups, and floor presses. For bodyweight pulling in other planes of movement you can do laid-back rows at different angles with either a bar set at different heights, or rings or TRX bands if you have access to those.

You can keep doing what you’re doing as your primary work, and add the other things in as accessory work at the end of a workout. I’m also partial to deadlifts, but you’re already doing squats with good weight, and if that’s working for you, there’s nothing wrong with that.

thanks for the advice dude (Y)
the funny thing is that the day after i posted that, i had shoulder pain lol.
was due to the inclined benching after dips. did some weighted movements on the shoulder and it got better.

17/7/21
neutral grip pullups
2x46.25kg (failed 3 rep)
2x46.25kg (failed 3 rep)
4x3x36.25kg

wow its been a long time since ive failed reps lol. i was appropriately warmed up. the first rep was tough and by the time it came for third rep, i couldnt complete the final part. i’m guessing it might be just not strong enough which is weird cos I felt fine the last heavy set. will try again on next heavy day same weight.

dips
6x35kg
2x5x35kg

pinch hold
3x10secx17.5kg
my pinch grip is terrible lol

wrist roller
3sets x 2 lengths x 5kg

cable twist
3x15x10kg

9 to 12 front raises
3x10x4kg

surprised that i failed pull ups!

2 Likes

19/7
neutral grip pullups
8x12.5kg
3x10xBW

dips
2x6x35kg
5x35kg

squats
5x110kg
5x120kg

two hand pinch
3x 20sec x 30kg

wrist flexion / curls / finger curls

1 Like

21/7
power snatch till 70kg (full snatch)
during the session on 19th, i saw someone practising hang snatch at the gym. i wondered how i would have fared if i did oly lifting again, so during this workout decided to fuck around with it. to no surprise, this was rather easy. i credit it to having more upper body strength now. i did this with cotton shorts and flats, something that i would have never done previously. could have power snatched 70kg if i had chalk.

neutral grip pullups
2X47.5KG (failed 3 rep)
4x35kg
5x35kg
4x35kg

my gym doesnt have 1kg plates and I forgot to bring them so had to make do. Wasnt trying to overreach! :smiley: its time to cut the weight and increase reps then.

dips
3x6x35kg

two hand pinch block
2x15 sec x35kg

cable wrist flexion
3x15x9kg

cable wrist curl
3x15x22.5kg

finger curls
2x15x25kg

My nation is going into a two week lockdown so gyms will be closed. however there are still exercise corners around my housing area and i have weights at home. thank god. will be doing pullups and dips there.

23/7/21
wide neutral grip pullups
9x11.25kg
3x11 BW

dips
7x35kg
2x6x35kg

pinch block
3x 20sec x10kg

finger curls
2x15x20kg
15x25kg

1 Like

25/7/21
neutral grip pullups
3x40kg
holy shit this was so heavy. i originally tried to do wide grip as i thought i would be able to managed but no lol. only managed 1 rep.

wide neutral grip pullups as back off sets
4x4x20kg

dips
3x5x35kg

finger curls
2x20x20kg

back extensions
3x15x5kg added

Man, you’re making me want to do weighted pullups again. Of course, I’m sort of doing 20# weighted pulllups by default because of the excess I’m carrying right now, but I can’t exactly count that. I need to find my diving weight belt again, I think it’s in the garage at my son’s house.

1 Like