Mir Training With Mark Philippi

I was impressed with Mir’s solid weight gain(and performance against Kongo)…that I just had to go back and watch this segment of him training with Mark Philippi. This also reminds me of talks with dhickey about HW guys gaining some (weight) muscle…so maybe our discussion will be put into action. Also,if you’re a T-Nation member and don’t know Philippi…shame on you…really :wink:

Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Yeah Mir put on some legitimate muscle with minimal fat gain, and Philippi deserves a lot of credit. However, I’m curious to see how Mir would hold up in later rounds with the newfound muscle and conditioning, considering his fight with Kongo only lasted 80 seconds.

Either way, Mir looks really good (no homo).

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Yeah Mir put on some legitimate muscle with minimal fat gain, and Philippi deserves a lot of credit. However, I’m curious to see how Mir would hold up in later rounds with the newfound muscle and conditioning, considering his fight with Kongo only lasted 80 seconds.

Either way, Mir looks really good (no homo).[/quote]

haha. Well…I was hoping for the same…but Kongo is not the person to test Mir in those aspects. So the question is who will besides Carwin or Lesnar that can test his “new muscle?” Roy Nelson? hehe HW division is kind of “odd” right now.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

haha. Well…I was hoping for the same…but Kongo is not the person to test Mir in those aspects. So the question is who will besides Carwin or Lesnar that can test his “new muscle?” Roy Nelson? hehe HW division is kind of “odd” right now. [/quote]

Yeah Kongo didn’t provide much of a test. I agree, don’t see many guys that can test Mir. I think he’ll fight Carwin next, because if I’m not mistaken the winner of Big Nog/Cain is determined to be the #1 HW contender and will fight Brock when he gets back.

Also, I’d be really interested in seeing a blueprint of Mir’s training for this fight.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

haha. Well…I was hoping for the same…but Kongo is not the person to test Mir in those aspects. So the question is who will besides Carwin or Lesnar that can test his “new muscle?” Roy Nelson? hehe HW division is kind of “odd” right now. [/quote]

Yeah Kongo didn’t provide much of a test. I agree, don’t see many guys that can test Mir. I think he’ll fight Carwin next, because if I’m not mistaken the winner of Big Nog/Cain is determined to be the #1 HW contender and will fight Brock when he gets back.

Also, I’d be really interested in seeing a blueprint of Mir’s training for this fight.[/quote]

I figured if anything the winner of Nog/Cain would face Carwin IF Brock isn’t back in due time. Either for No #1 Contender OR interim HW champ. But like I said…if Brock isn’t back soon enough.

Also…I imagine a few heavyweight fighters need to see a blueprint of his training so maybe they can follow it. Imagine Cain Velasquez and a couple others with another good 20lbs of muscle on them. That’s what I wouldn’t mind seeing.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Also, I’d be really interested in seeing a blueprint of Mir’s training for this fight.[/quote]

I figured if anything the winner of Nog/Cain would face Carwin IF Brock isn’t back in due time. Either for No #1 Contender OR interim HW champ. But like I said…if Brock isn’t back soon enough.

Also…I imagine a few heavyweight fighters need to see a blueprint of his training so maybe they can follow it. Imagine Cain Velasquez and a couple others with another good 20lbs of muscle on them. That’s what I wouldn’t mind seeing.[/quote]

I would like to see a Grand Prix (like in Pride) to determine the interim HW champ. Pride GP was full of win.

Yeah for sure, if Cain/Dos Santos/etc can come in at 260 with the same speed and conditioning as they have now, they’ll be dangerous. Heck, I’d be interested in implementing the program myself (with an obvious scaled down version of MA training, but keep the lifting/conditioning regimen the same).

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Also…I imagine a few heavyweight fighters need to see a blueprint of his training so maybe they can follow it. Imagine Cain Velasquez and a couple others with another good 20lbs of muscle on them. That’s what I wouldn’t mind seeing.[/quote]

I would like to see a Grand Prix (like in Pride) to determine the interim HW champ. Pride GP was full of win.

Yeah for sure, if Cain/Dos Santos/etc can come in at 260 with the same speed and conditioning as they have now, they’ll be dangerous. Heck, I’d be interested in implementing the program myself (with an obvious scaled down version of MA training, but keep the lifting/conditioning regimen the same).[/quote]

Man,I’ve been yearning for a GP-style tournament for the UFC for years…but I doubt it will ever happen. And my cousin who’s everything-in-the-book certified trainer in Houston has been to Philippi’s gym in Vegas a few times for workshops and seminars. I’ve been picking his brain ever since last night…lol. I would like to do some similar training while I’m on “hiatus” because of my medical issue.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Yeah for sure, if Cain/Dos Santos/etc can come in at 260 with the same speed and conditioning as they have now, they’ll be dangerous. Heck, I’d be interested in implementing the program myself (with an obvious scaled down version of MA training, but keep the lifting/conditioning regimen the same).[/quote]

Man,I’ve been yearning for a GP-style tournament for the UFC for years…but I doubt it will ever happen. And my cousin who’s everything-in-the-book certified trainer in Houston has been to Philippi’s gym in Vegas a few times for workshops and seminars. I’ve been picking his brain ever since last night…lol. I would like to do some similar training while I’m on “hiatus” because of my medical issue.
[/quote]

Been praying for you everyday my man. Wishing you well in your recovery. Yeah any information you can get from your cousin that can be passed down to me is very much appreciated haha.

If Brock is needs more surgery then an interim belt will be created, Nog vs Cain is happening at 110 so that will not be for the belt, if Brock is back in time then Carwin will still fight him for the title.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Who’s Mark Philippi?

Kidding kidding.

Maybe Roy Nelson/Stefan Struve???

[quote]drewh wrote:
If Brock is needs more surgery then an interim belt will be created, Nog vs Cain is happening at 110 so that will not be for the belt, if Brock is back in time then Carwin will still fight him for the title.[/quote]

Is Lesnar slated for a summer return possibly?

it would be interesting to know how different his training was from the first time. Considering he said he did more of a bodybuilding style, while sled pushing is not bodybuilding squats and deads I always thought they were. And he did put on substantial muscle as any aspiring bodybuilder would want too.

I wonder if it was more of a nutrition thing this time than anything since people always associate bodybuilding with a clean diet, maybe this time along with minor changes philippi just had him eating enough also. I don’t think athletes who start training on their own have an idea of how many calories they needed just to keep there energy levels up when they combined lifting and sport.

An article on SI said he ate more protein and is doing 5 90 minute sessions a week. If you go to Philippi’s site you can see it and a sample mma workout that is pretty intense.

Is this the workout plan you are talking about?

http://www.philippisportsinstitute.com/index.php/free-articles/67-combat-training-workout

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
it would be interesting to know how different his training was from the first time. Considering he said he did more of a bodybuilding style, while sled pushing is not bodybuilding squats and deads I always thought they were. And he did put on substantial muscle as any aspiring bodybuilder would want too.

I wonder if it was more of a nutrition thing this time than anything since people always associate bodybuilding with a clean diet, maybe this time along with minor changes philippi just had him eating enough also. I don’t think athletes who start training on their own have an idea of how many calories they needed just to keep there energy levels up when they combined lifting and sport.[/quote]

I’m sure it was a combo of “all of the above.” As a guy could do the same training as Mir…get stronger(and better conditioned)…but not necessarily have the added pounds. And apparently(I have to remember if it was the Countdown show or not)…but Mir said he wasn’t taking his strength and conditioning serious enough until Lesnar smashed him. Other than bodybuilding-type lifting,I also wonder what he was doing beforehand. AND why he was focused on BB-style lifting in the first place as a mma fighter.

I think the little exposure of his training with Philippi is going to re-spark(or validate) debates of conditioning tools(key word)and what is more applicable to MMA. Strongman-influenced training does seem to translate better. Gray Maynard is apparently following suit and is training with Philippi…along with other UFC fighters for upcoming bouts.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
AND why he was focused on BB-style lifting in the first place as a mma fighter.
[/quote]

probably listened Phil Baroni too much… <haha that’s a joke, see?>

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Is this the workout plan you are talking about?

http://www.philippisportsinstitute.com/index.php/free-articles/67-combat-training-workout[/quote]

That’s the sample I was talking about, but the articles are to the left of the site.

I remember an old muscle and fitness that said Frank didn’t even lift anymore instead he did “plyometrics” which was just poorly designed and resembled gpp more.

20 more pounds… at least 20 more pounds of mure* muscle mass, is what he’ll need and he will have a good chance of handing it to Brock (if Brock comes back)

*Edit: I meant to say pure, but guess I slipped up and mixed the word Pure with Mir.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
20 more pounds… at least 20 more pounds of mure muscle mass, is what he’ll need and he will have a good chance of handing it to Brock (if Brock comes back)[/quote]

I would be interested in what new strategy Mir would take with Lesnar. Without a good gameplan…it will not matter how much muscle and strenght he’s gained. Not saying that it doesn’t help…just that it’s not a means to an end.

Looks around for Nominal Prospect to tell us how strength and size trumps all

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
20 more pounds… at least 20 more pounds of mure* muscle mass, is what he’ll need and he will have a good chance of handing it to Brock (if Brock comes back)

*Edit: I meant to say pure, but guess I slipped up and mixed the word Pure with Mir.[/quote]

What does Mir weight now? What does Lesnar weigh?

The 20 pounds Mir just put on look like they’ll do just fine, esp. since they were gained powercleaning, deadlifting, and pushing the prowler. Lesnar doesn’t exactly have a cornucopia of technique to throw at Mir.

What does “bodybuilding training” mean, anyways?