Minor League Baseball

Hi,
A buddy and me were thinking about trying out for the minors come June of next year. We just started practicing the other day as we haven’t played in years. About me:
22 years old
6’1
210lbs
Looking to get clocked soon with radar to see if I’ll be focusing on pitching or center field as I’m quick.

Played baseball throughout highschool and eventually quit my senior year because I didn’t want to play anymore. Now about to graduate in college, so I can’t play, I’m thinking about trying one last time to play baseball competitively…

Have a buddy who plays in the minors and the only advice he’s given me is that in order to catch some attention I should be able to hit a 95mph fastball followed by a 75mph curve both over the fence. Just wondering if any of you have gone through the process or can give any advice on what to be training or how to, specifically. Right now we just started but were planning on beginning long toss, running the bases, and going to the cages.

Thanks!

You can go try out for fun but you have no chance in fucking hell. You won’t have to worry about hitting a 95 mph fastball because you won’t see anything close to that. You will be lucky if you get selected for live hitting and if you do the velocity is likely to be between 82 & 90. Which btw, you have no chance of hitting unless you’ve been playing.

They will have you run the Baseball 60. You will need to run it in less than 6.6 if you want them to give a rats ass. Average for MLB is about 6.95. If you are an outfielder they will have you in right field and hit you some easy balls for you to make throws to 3rd base and maybe home. If your throws are on the money and with enough velocity to skip when they bounce you will be rated a 5.0 which is Major league average. You won’t get their attention unless they are rating your throws at 6.5 or more. My guess it you will be lucky to get a 3.0.

So, go try out and have fun but don’t expect anything from it. If you’re serious about having a chance at this, sign up to play on a men’s league team this summer, practice with the team, get experience and if you start dominating you can try out again in the spring of '16.

[quote]Deceptive212 wrote:
Hi,
A buddy and me were thinking about trying out for the minors come June of next year. We just started practicing the other day as we haven’t played in years. About me:
22 years old
6’1
210lbs
Looking to get clocked soon with radar to see if I’ll be focusing on pitching or center field as I’m quick.

Played baseball throughout highschool and eventually quit my senior year because I didn’t want to play anymore. Now about to graduate in college, so I can’t play, I’m thinking about trying one last time to play baseball competitively…

Have a buddy who plays in the minors and the only advice he’s given me is that in order to catch some attention I should be able to hit a 95mph fastball followed by a 75mph curve both over the fence. Just wondering if any of you have gone through the process or can give any advice on what to be training or how to, specifically. Right now we just started but were planning on beginning long toss, running the bases, and going to the cages.

Thanks![/quote]

No offense, but if you gave up your senior year because you didnâ??t â??wantâ?? to play anymore, what makes you think you can play at a professional level? I actually played all 4 years in high school and a year in college, before a nagging shoulder injury and eyesight killed my chances.

Iâ??m planning on doing the same thing, playing that is (in a competitive menâ??s league), but iâ??ve consistently thrown and hit in the last 4 years. If you havenâ??t played since you were a jr, I wouldnâ??t even think about trying to pitch or really tryout for that matter. There is such a huge difference between high school and college, let alone professional. I remember my first at bat in college summer ball I faced a tall lefty, who got signed later that year, throwing 93 with a 82mph splitter. Made me shit my pants, I got one good hack at the fastball, fouled it off and didnâ??t know what to do with the splitter. The difference between HS, College and pro is:

Good HS league, pitchers generally throw in the 80â??s with an occasional 90+ that has one pitch
College, everyone throws 85-95 and has a good off speed pitch
Pro, They have 4 really good pitches that they can command and throw in any count for strikes.

If you are serious and really want to play then join a competitive menâ??s league, become the best there and maybe try out for a minor league team, â??if you still want to playâ??

I’ll give you an example of just how hard it is to make it. I had a teammate who could legitimately throw 90 mph. Could do so with very good control and he had a great curve ball that he could spot on the corners. I got a scout to come and give him a workout. The scout was very impressed but he told me “If he was 18 or left handed I could get him signed but at 23 it’s going to be tough”.

The scout turned in a favorable report and the organization, the Cubs, made the kid a “top 10 free agent”. That means after they get all their draft picks signed and they then look to fill holes in their farm system he would be one of the first pitchers they would call. He never got the call.

I played in college and 2 years of pro ball. I agree with some of what has been said above. As someone who played the game my whole life, and not to burst your bubble, but its somewhat hilarious and slightly insulting to read about you having played a few years in high school and thinking you have any chance on Gods earth to even be given a 2nd glance. Baseball is not a sport you just pick up and play the game moves faster and faster(regardless of how it seems on TV) the higher up in levels you go. You dont have to throw 95 to play pro ball like your buddy said however in order to get noticed at one of these throwaway tryouts(thats what they are, no one really gets picked up from these) you probably do need to clock above 90 for them to give you a second look. But the best shot youd have is as a pitcher, because they sign a lot of them. Position player youd better do something that jumps off the page, like run a 6.4 60 yard dash followed by an impressive display of hitting. Basically unless your Roy hobbs this is a tough one. Id recommend going and playing in a mens league first to see how you stack up. Youd probably be surprised at how difficult just that seems to you, then multiply that by ten and youd be close to the level of long season A ball. not trying to discourage you but being realistic.