Minneapolis, MN Area TRT?

Does anybody know a competent doctor in the MN area?

The one I recently saw was being totally ignorant and every question I had was pretty much ignored or thrown back with a rebuttal that didn’t make sense. The sad thing about it was this DR is a u of M physician uro/endo so it bothered me he seemed to really not know the basics.

long story:

2009 i went in because I wasn’t feeling well and had all the symptoms of low t. Labs come back at 220 total T. there wasn’t any other lab ran and my doctor said that level was fine and chucked it up as depression and started throwing ssris and benzos. I was 29 and this was the first time I checked so I brushed it off.

2010 I started feeling worse and went into my new gp due to the old one retiring and he checked and levels were in 250 total. also no other tests as he stated they were not needed but he actually said my T was low and to go see an endo.

i go in to see an endo and redo labs and bam again low test but high ferretin levels and elevated liver. was not doing any supplementing other then the norm. Told me he couldnt do anything yet as I had to correct the other issues first. fast forward 2 years and labs after labs and all sorts of different physical issues/therpists ect that needed attention but they could not figure out why my test was so low or the other issues going on so they pointed back to the endo. My total t levels plummeted to 7 and the past year and a half I could not function and had major fatigue and pain in the morning but the fatigue was through out the day.

i got fed up and started doing research about bringing up natural t levels while my next endo appointment was a month away. I started researching torem just for a month to see if that would help. bingo it did but was short lived as i had to stop and really didnt seem to help the overall well being and such and if my test was low for quite a long time i didnt see this as feasible. i just felt something wasnt right.

I go into the urologist at the U of M and i had recent labs done that checked everything by a prior endo that communicated with this guy as he didnt know much about hcg or serms.

my level came back
TT:407
free test: 100
prolactin: 4.3
LH:4.5
FSH: 10.2
E2: 26
viatmin D: 60 this has been low prior and have been taking precribed D3 but even prior to that my t levels were low.

The uro saw these labs after our appointment and what bothered me was him saying if your test comes back low again we can try androgel at 2 pumps and e2 doesnt matter, test is test, no hcg or serms as they are expensive and wont work anyways. I basically said whatever and wanted to start on something as i was at my wits end. Low and behold he got the results back and stated nothing is wrong and I can;t help you. I was like did you look at my test levels for the past 3 years? all were 250 or lower and lowest didnt read and came back at 4<.

I was telling him how the torem could have effected this and he blew up and got mad and said fine we ill check in a month to see. I stopped the torem but I feel as though our relationship is already going to be an argument as his methods are textbook and he wouldnt even check anything else like pituitary or any other tests. Also he said he didnt see low levels on a constant basis even though i had the test printed up and only 1 showed a normal test level.

SORRY about the long read but I’m guessing the more info the better as into wth is going on. Anybody in the MN area know a good doctor other then a anti aging clinic?

Probably best to try sort potential adrenal or thyroid issues first. See the stickies for suggestions on cortisol and thyroid testing.

If that’s a deadend for you, I found a good urologist in Edina. If you are interested PM me. He’s a good one for me because he’ll essentially give me what I want for treatment. I asked for an AI and wrote me a script. Asked for HCG and he wrote me a script. It think he is also on T/HCG/AI. We’ll be looking at thyroid issues next.

He seems like he’s very plugged in an progressive, but there’s not much diagnostic work. I had low T, adrenal issues (I made some improvement on my own here)and thyroid issues and he immediately suggested T replacement. No effort to identify underlying cause. This was fine for me because I had already spent a couple years researching, addressing lifestyle, experimenting and trying to make incremental improvements.

I am working with someone else to make sure I’m not missing some obvious underlying cause. I may eventually try HGC mono and then a SERM restart. I’m sure this doc would be ok trying it.

If you go to see him, and he agrees to treat, you might want to suggest trying low dose SERM before full on replacement. You could do this yourself if you want to go the research chem route and pay for testing on your own. Just make sure to test and treat E2 issues. I see lots of people claiming SERMs did work for them, but they never tested or treated corresponding increases in E2.

Probably best to try sort potential adrenal or thyroid issues first. See the stickies for suggestions on cortisol and thyroid testing.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

If that’s a deadend for you, I found a good urologist in Edina. If you are interested PM me. He’s a good one for me because he’ll essentially give me what I want for treatment. I asked for an AI and wrote me a script. Asked for HCG and he wrote me a script. It think he is also on T/HCG/AI. We’ll be looking at thyroid issues next.

He seems like he’s very plugged in an progressive, but there’s not much diagnostic work. I had low T, adrenal issues (I made some improvement on my own here)and thyroid issues and he immediately suggested T replacement. No effort to identify underlying cause. This was fine for me because I had already spent a couple years researching, addressing lifestyle, experimenting and trying to make incremental improvements.

I am working with someone else to make sure I’m not missing some obvious underlying cause. I may eventually try HGC mono and then a SERM restart. I’m sure this doc would be ok trying it.

If you go to see him, and he agrees to treat, you might want to suggest trying low dose SERM before full on replacement. You could do this yourself if you want to go the research chem route and pay for testing on your own. Just make sure to test and treat E2 issues. I see lots of people claiming SERMs did work for them, but they never tested or treated corresponding increases in E2.

Probably best to try sort potential adrenal or thyroid issues first. See the stickies for suggestions on cortisol and thyroid testing.[/quote]

i checked my labs and most my TSH has been in the 1.5 to 2 level which is in range but anytime I mention a cortisal test they say i dont need it or it doesn’t explain the main symptom. Ill ask my doc to test it when I get my d levels redone. If you could pm me with the name of your doc id appreciate it. seems like most the endos are located in edina. I just spoke to 1 that i was working with earlier and basically told me we can to a lab again and if it falls low then trt can be done but he also stated that if I go that route my chances of having another baby are pretty much dead. He won’t touch hcg or a serm as he states that he doesnt have any knowledge in those. The referring endo he sent me to scares the shit out of me due to his attitude and therapy he wants to put me on. He’s actually involved with hcg and serms but more for infertility patients that want a child and not the benefits of implementing into trt or hrt. Same guy that told me e2 has no effect on my well being or test levels and adrogel at 2 pumps a day would be his course.

[quote]tc80 wrote:

[quote]dhickey wrote:

Probably best to try sort potential adrenal or thyroid issues first. See the stickies for suggestions on cortisol and thyroid testing.[/quote]

i checked my labs and most my TSH has been in the 1.5 to 2 level which is in range but anytime I mention a cortisal test they say i dont need it or it doesn’t explain the main symptom. Ill ask my doc to test it when I get my d levels redone. If you could pm me with the name of your doc id appreciate it. seems like most the endos are located in edina. I just spoke to 1 that i was working with earlier and basically told me we can to a lab again and if it falls low then trt can be done but he also stated that if I go that route my chances of having another baby are pretty much dead. He won’t touch hcg or a serm as he states that he doesnt have any knowledge in those. The referring endo he sent me to scares the shit out of me due to his attitude and therapy he wants to put me on. He’s actually involved with hcg and serms but more for infertility patients that want a child and not the benefits of implementing into trt or hrt. Same guy that told me e2 has no effect on my well being or test levels and adrogel at 2 pumps a day would be his course.
[/quote]
Do the cortisol test on your own. Order the 4x saliva test from canary club. You need to look at more than TSH for thyroid issues. Mine were consistently lower than that but more testing uncovered some issues. Ready the stickies on this. I tried an endo in Edina and at the UofM. complete waste of time. The guy I’m seeing now is a urologist. I’ll PM you.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[quote]tc80 wrote:

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[/quote]
Do the cortisol test on your own. Order the 4x saliva test from canary club. You need to look at more than TSH for thyroid issues. Mine were consistently lower than that but more testing uncovered some issues. Ready the stickies on this. I tried an endo in Edina and at the UofM. complete waste of time. The guy I’m seeing now is a urologist. I’ll PM you. [/quote]

well its hard to get these docs to test anything that you tell them to so i’m SOL with them so I’ll probably do a private lab and see what my levels are. I’ll be waiting on the pm. Thanks

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[quote]tc80 wrote:

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[/quote]
Do the cortisol test on your own. Order the 4x saliva test from canary club. You need to look at more than TSH for thyroid issues. Mine were consistently lower than that but more testing uncovered some issues. Ready the stickies on this. I tried an endo in Edina and at the UofM. complete waste of time. The guy I’m seeing now is a urologist. I’ll PM you. [/quote]

Yeah ill get that checked out as im going to get labs through private since these docs tend to get mad when asked about certain tests. It amazes me how big headed and narrow minded these guys are. I’ll be waiting for your pm.

Read the advice for new guys sticky. Post all lab work with ranges. Come back with lots of info about you.

There is a sticky for finding a TRT doc.

Endo’s are as a group, the worst for TRT. You are better of with an enthusiastic GP. Uro’s are useless.

Look at the other stickies. There is days or reading, get started.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Read the advice for new guys sticky. Post all lab work with ranges. Come back with lots of info about you.

There is a sticky for finding a TRT doc.

Endo’s are as a group, the worst for TRT. You are better of with an enthusiastic GP. Uro’s are useless.

Look at the other stickies. There is days or reading, get started.[/quote]

Thanks KSman, I’ve read most of the stickies before even registering and been researching this for a year or more. I understand more labs and such might be helpful but those labs that are posted are the most extensive I have. every doctor has just done the basic and keep referring me to an endo that knows nothing and its frustrating as I have 2 young boys that can’t have a functional father.

I’ve been working out for roughly 7-8 years and have had mediocre results even after working out with 2 pro bb’er and no aas use other then a 1 month ph stint that I quit due to sides almost 4 years ago.

I extermemly consistent and now my goal in life is to not wake up feeling like I have a hangover and fatique though out the day. I still have a passion for lifting but again my ultimate goal is for a better life. My real issue is finding the doctors that know whats going on and I’ve been through hell this 1 1/2 years looking for an answer.

I had high ferretin levels(no hemo) and had that brought down and stomach issues that can’t be explained. Been to therapist to see if this was a mental issue but to no avail as they even stated that my depression and such were to physical issues and not mental. Its very frustrating when a doctor says idk or thinking about putting me on a protocol that makes no sense. I’m basically looking for a doctor that thinks outside the box but its hard as most are very narrow minded unless you get lucky.

Thats the reason I came on this board to see if anybody in my area knew of a doctor that could help as no matter how many labs I try to get or do the doctors have control when it comes down to the final say on treatment. I am still calling around to pharmacies but some are dead ends and a some are from doctors outside my health insurance network.

tried PMing you twice. doesn’t seem to be working. I’d rather not post his info on a message board. see if you can PM me.

[quote]

Yeah ill get that checked out as im going to get labs through private since these docs tend to get mad when asked about certain tests. It amazes me how big headed and narrow minded these guys are. I’ll be waiting for your pm. [/quote]

Identifying adrenal issues and treating was a huge improvement for me. I went from feeling like I had mono, to feeling somewhat normal in a few weeks.

Get the 4x saliva test ordered. If it confirms you have issues, check out this article.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_truth_about_adrenal_fatigue

My cortisol was very low and rebounded nicely from Preg cream, DHEA, Astragalus, Ginseng (also used Ashwaganda) and Huperzine A. I took licorice root for awhile, but it was causing cortisol to stay a bit high late in the day when it should be dropping.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[quote]

Yeah ill get that checked out as im going to get labs through private since these docs tend to get mad when asked about certain tests. It amazes me how big headed and narrow minded these guys are. I’ll be waiting for your pm. [/quote]

Identifying adrenal issues and treating was a huge improvement for me. I went from feeling like I had mono, to feeling somewhat normal in a few weeks.

Get the 4x saliva test ordered. If it confirms you have issues, check out this article.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_truth_about_adrenal_fatigue

My cortisol was very low and rebounded nicely from Preg cream, DHEA, Astragalus, Ginseng (also used Ashwaganda) and Huperzine A. I took licorice root for awhile, but it was causing cortisol to stay a bit high late in the day when it should be dropping.[/quote]

I tried pming you but it said I’m unable to as the reason it might be that I can’t get yours. I can post my email maybe. i think Ill order the test as that a lot of those symptoms could be related to me. I feel as though i have high cortisol but won’t know after the test. Is it the Diurnal Cortisol 4x?

[quote]tc80 wrote:

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[quote]

My cortisol was very low and rebounded nicely from Preg cream, DHEA, Astragalus, Ginseng (also used Ashwaganda) and Huperzine A. I took licorice root for awhile, but it was causing cortisol to stay a bit high late in the day when it should be dropping.[/quote]

I tried pming you but it said I’m unable to as the reason it might be that I can’t get yours. I can post my email maybe. i think Ill order the test as that a lot of those symptoms could be related to me. I feel as though i have high cortisol but won’t know after the test. Is it the Diurnal Cortisol 4x?[/quote]
yes

Read the new opening paragraph to the advice for new guys sticky and the new thyroid basics sticky and come back with oral body temps and iodine intake.

Also in the minneapolis area and looking for a doctor

There is a sticky for finding a TRT doc

Well, I’m back and currently on trt of 200mg of cyp per week split twice a week and an AI just encase of e2 symptoms. I tend to feel this is on the high side of trt and might dose back as my recheck isnt until another month. I had the panel done 1 week prior to treatment and my tt came back at 168 and free was around 50. also E2 was 15. I forgot to get my labs so i apologize that i don’t have some more numbers.

Here are some issues I’m having currently

1. scalp breakout and hair thinning since starting but have had these before any trt treatment and went away on its own. Could DHT or something else be the issue or is it something else as I’ve had this before trt. I want to avoid fin or dut as that would seem counter productive to what I’m trying to achieve aside from long term effects of those meds.

2 gained about 10lb which is water but in the belly its really showing. Bothersome as I’ve been actively working out and no change in diet. I tried .25 of arimdex e3d but makes me feel like shit. I’m considering aromasin in place as I’m also worried about lipids as Ive had high numbers before.

Dhickey, was DR… willing to offer hcg when you went in?

3 It isnt until about day 3 after shot that I start to feel better but I guessing I still need some more time for my body to stabilize the increase in test. Possibly thinking about lowering dosage to 150mg per week and see if that helps with bloat and uneasiness.

1. The doctor mentioned that hashi is a possibility but wants to try this and see how I react. I think I remember him saying i was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my thyroid and other tests but didnt want to start any treatments just yet. ( I will ask them for my labs tomorrow)

2. did not get prescribed hcG as I was kind of in a fog when talking to him and briefly mentioned it but as I’m 32 I really would want to include that as part of treatment as I want another child in the future and also i’m starting to get some aches. He might scrpt it on our next visit. Otherwise i will have to go underground but again that’s something i’m having a tough time finding. (not sure but if anybody has a verified source I’d appreciate it.)

3. still waking up very cold and in physical pain but that might be the tapering of opiads that i’m doing which was doc prescribed for unexplained muscle pains/joint/stomach. docs still haven’t had a finger on that but i honestly can’t live like this continually using pain meds my whole life. weird thing is the worst pain is in the morning right out of bed and i feel like i either have a hangover or flu every single morning.

I’m also going to start this iodine plan to see if does explain some issues I have and possibly might be a thyroid issue.

I guess my biggest issue right now is my hair, scalp and bloat that’s depressing but will cutting my dose help this? why is it that i start to feel better on the 3rd day and feel like crap day after injection?

[quote]tc80 wrote:
Well, I’m back and currently on trt of 200mg of cyp per week split twice a week and an AI just encase of e2 symptoms. I tend to feel this is on the high side of trt and might dose back as my recheck isnt until another month. I had the panel done 1 week prior to treatment and my tt came back at 168 and free was around 50. also E2 was 15. I forgot to get my labs so i apologize that i don’t have some more numbers.

Here are some issues I’m having currently

1. scalp breakout and hair thinning since starting but have had these before any trt treatment and went away on its own. Could DHT or something else be the issue or is it something else as I’ve had this before trt. I want to avoid fin or dut as that would seem counter productive to what I’m trying to achieve aside from long term effects of those meds.

2 gained about 10lb which is water but in the belly its really showing. Bothersome as I’ve been actively working out and no change in diet. I tried .25 of arimdex e3d but makes me feel like shit. I’m considering aromasin in place as I’m also worried about lipids as Ive had high numbers before.

Dhickey, was DR… willing to offer hcg when you went in?

3 It isnt until about day 3 after shot that I start to feel better but I guessing I still need some more time for my body to stabilize the increase in test. Possibly thinking about lowering dosage to 150mg per week and see if that helps with bloat and uneasiness.

1. The doctor mentioned that hashi is a possibility but wants to try this and see how I react. I think I remember him saying i was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my thyroid and other tests but didnt want to start any treatments just yet. ( I will ask them for my labs tomorrow)

2. did not get prescribed hcG as I was kind of in a fog when talking to him and briefly mentioned it but as I’m 32 I really would want to include that as part of treatment as I want another child in the future and also i’m starting to get some aches. He might scrpt it on our next visit. Otherwise i will have to go underground but again that’s something i’m having a tough time finding. (not sure but if anybody has a verified source I’d appreciate it.)

3. still waking up very cold and in physical pain but that might be the tapering of opiads that i’m doing which was doc prescribed for unexplained muscle pains/joint/stomach. docs still haven’t had a finger on that but i honestly can’t live like this continually using pain meds my whole life. weird thing is the worst pain is in the morning right out of bed and i feel like i either have a hangover or flu every single morning.

I’m also going to start this iodine plan to see if does explain some issues I have and possibly might be a thyroid issue.

I guess my biggest issue right now is my hair, scalp and bloat that’s depressing but will cutting my dose help this? why is it that i start to feel better on the 3rd day and feel like crap day after injection?

[/quote]

Any updates? I’m going to see a Endo in St. Louis Park next week and not feeling to confident that he will be knowledgable. Curious who you went to.

I got referred by my PCP to a urologist and he was a joke when it came to TRT.

I had a lead and then found out that doctor has had his license suspended.

I have asked and hinted around here several times but have not gotten a direct answer of a good TRT doc to go to in Mpls / St. Paul.

For now, I have given up searching for a doctor that will prescribe HcG and / or AI’s.

I’m just taking the testosterone cypionate injections prescribed by my PCP and dealing with the side-effects.

Someone told me to go to all day chemist for HcG but when I did, it’s not listed / they don’t sell it online anymore.

I see names of other docs dropped for other states. But for some reason, none for MN. Someone could save several of us a lot of time and frustration trying consultations with different doctors only to hit dead ends.

Hey Guys,

Tried to PM a couple of you but it doesn’t seem to be working. I live in MPLS and am in desperate need of a dr that will prescribe TRT. I have a fully documented and diagnosed condition for over the last 5 years but my GP and the two people she referred me to were absolutely useless. I no longer have insurance anymore so I simply cannot afford to go to yet another dead end doc - could someone please let me know the drs info that you all found?

I just really would appreciate some assistance.

Thank You,

Rex

If you don’t have insurance, you could try one of anti-aging clinics, like Biologic MD. If I was paying out of pocket, I’d probably to some testing on my own via LEF.org. Cheaper than going to a clinic. If needed, I’d try a SERM on my own. If that didn’t work, I’d try HCG on my own. I personally only go to a doc if I need Testosterone.