Minimum Wage: Part II

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Links?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I assume you didn’t even read this before linking it. It doesn’t mention workforce participation rates a single time.

I’m not going to bother to comment on the actual content either, because it won’t help your case all that much, and you’ll ignore it because of that.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Links?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I assume you did read this before linking it. It does mention workforce participation rates a single time.
[/quote]

funny when you cut shit away you can make it say anything

Bump
This came up briefly in my Libertarianism thread, and I didn’t want to get sidetracked with a huge policy issue. Searched and found this thread.

Some of you might really like this lecture. It’s about 40 minutes but worth it if you want to get a grasp on the topic. My husband has been following this economist for awhile. The video lecture really goes into the research. We now have cities and states who have raised it, so there’s more data than when you guys started this thread.

Watch the video. It’s packed with info, but here are a few Cliff’s Notes:

It’s not great at addressing poverty. He prefers the Earned Income Tax Credit as a more effective way of narrowing the income gap for low-income earners. Right now that really helps single moms with kids, but I think he’s saying we should consider expanding it to take in people without kids.

Only 17% of low-income workers are from low-income families. Half of the low-income workers are the teens and young adults under 24 who likely still live with parents.

The single most important reason why families of working age are poor is because nobody in the family works. I believe he said about half of the families in poverty have ZERO workers, so raising the minimum wage wouldn’t help them. He’s talking about working age families here, not people over 65. Anyway, raising the minimum wage won’t help those peeps.

Raising the minimum wage does reduce jobs, and disproportionately hits small businesses in low-wage sectors.

Edited:
Tagging you, @Lonnie123. I haven’t read this whole thread, but I thought you might like this if you have the time.

2 Likes