Minimum to Maintain Size & Strength?

Hi

I’ve just been diagnosed with a hernia and because of the waiting time its probably going to be next year until I get surgery.

I don’t want to risk making it worse so I’ll be cuting back on my training (thought about a GVT style of training so I’m lifting lower weights) but I don’t want to lose any strength & size I’ve gained over the years. What do people thing is the minimum amount of training I can get away with?

I do realise I’m going to lose some size but I want to keep it to a minimumn.

Thanks
Dave

Is it worth risking it getting worse by training at all?

When I was having disc problems(i know it aint the same) I really cut back and did only rehab, lost about 50lbs and significant strength but I regained both in a matter of months when I came back.

[quote]Dave 966 wrote:
Hi

I’ve just been diagnosed with a hernia and because of the waiting time its probably going to be next year until I get surgery.

I don’t want to risk making it worse so I’ll be cuting back on my training (thought about a GVT style of training so I’m lifting lower weights) but I don’t want to lose any strength & size I’ve gained over the years. What do people thing is the minimum amount of training I can get away with?

I do realise I’m going to lose some size but I want to keep it to a minimumn.

Thanks
Dave[/quote]

Why didn’t you speak to your doctor about this? A few months off training is fine. It will come back very quickly. Why even risk making it worse? You can make things infinitely worse training through these types of injuries.

Thanks for the replies - sensible advice. Will put the weights away (carefully!).

I would have thought arm work and horizontal upper body movements like bench and rows would be ok. Obviously check with doc