Minimum Home Gym Space Requirements?

Fellas and fellettes;

Fiancee and I recently purchased a home to get out of the rent race, and it’s got a single car garage that we do not plan on parking a vehicle in.

What do you figure are the minimum dimensions needed for a decent home setup?

I was looking at this rack:

Which is about 5 feet deep by 4 feet long.

The garage is about 15 feet by 10 feet. What do you think, too cramped to have a semi-bare-bones setup?

My coach has two cages, hack squat, bench, and DL platform in a two car garage. You should be fine.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
What do you figure are the minimum dimensions needed for a decent home setup?[/quote]

The minimum necessary space for a home gym… about eight feet by three feet, as featured in the picture above. :wink:

[quote]I was looking at this rack:

Which is about 5 feet deep by 4 feet long.[/quote]

Don’t forget that the barbell you’ll be using is about seven feet, so I’d plan for at least an eight foot width. And if you buy the bench, plan for an extra three feet or so, for the times you remove the bench.

That’s plenty of room. What other equipment do you have, or would you want to include?

There’s plenty more reading for you here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/home_gym_the_costbenefit_analysis

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

That’s plenty of room. What other equipment do you have, or would you want to include?

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/home_gym_the_costbenefit_analysis [/quote]

Thanks for the link - I have been looking through it. Some pretty nice setups.

In terms of gear, standard stuff. In addition to something like what I posted, I’d want a pullup station for sure. Being able to squat, bench, deadlift, row and chin would take me a long way.

You guys that lift at home, ever miss cable equipment?

Plenty of room, you just have to move some things around sometimes. check out the home gym analysis thread in the T-Cell.

I just put up some pics and that room is about 10x18 with a bar and a closet in it.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
I was looking at this rack:

Which is about 5 feet deep by 4 feet long.

The garage is about 15 feet by 10 feet. What do you think, too cramped to have a semi-bare-bones setup?[/quote]

I have the same rack - it’s excellent.

You should have plenty of room if you maximize your space with careful planning.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/home_gym_the_costbenefit_analysis

Thanks for the link - I have been looking through it. Some pretty nice setups.

In terms of gear, standard stuff. In addition to something like what I posted, I’d want a pullup station for sure. Being able to squat, bench, deadlift, row and chin would take me a long way.

[/quote]

Nope, I have a bowflex, in addition to a power cage and 400lb OLY set. Pullup bar is easy, just make one. I used two of those big storage hooks, screwed em into the garage rafters and then put a old shovel handle resting in them. Works fine, doesn’t even move around once you got your weight on it. You could use 3 of the utitity hook hanger things if you feel better. I got away with the back half of a 1 stall garage, and could still put a car in if I put things away properly (folded the boflex and pushed the cage to the back wall, etc.)

V

Here is the bowflex that I have on e-bay with a starting bid for 150, it was on the first page, I’m sure there are plenty more deals out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/bowflex-xtl_W0QQitemZ220359280563QQcmdZViewItemQQptZExercise_Fitness_Strength?hash=item220359280563&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

V

I moved my cage into a 8x12 shed with a set of power blocks and two weight trees. Its seriously cramped. I have to move the rack to the side to adjust the pins but it works.

All I have at my room is a concept 2 rower, some perfect push ups, and a brand new 45lb kettlebell that just came today so I’m not much of an expert, but i figured a power cage would be more convenient for the old wallet and for your space.

You could just get a cage that comes with pull up bars while buying a bench that folds so that you can do your military presses off the cages safety bars. You also get the added benefit of having safety for the squats and rack deads.

hope this helps…

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:

[/quote]

Dude… why would you need to squat, bench, deadlift, row and chin… it’s not like you do that at the gym now. However you might need the rack for your squat rack curls :stuck_out_tongue:

I kid NeelyDan. I kid.

olympic bar for deadlifts
dip station
pullup bar

that is the MINIMUM

[quote]Court wrote:
Dude… why would you need to squat, bench, deadlift, row and chin… it’s not like you do that at the gym now. However you might need the rack for your squat rack curls :stuck_out_tongue:

I kid NeelyDan. I kid.[/quote]

When you and ouro come over for cards i want you to feel at home. This is alllllll for you kiddo.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
Court wrote:

I kid NeelyDan. I kid.

When you and ouro come over for cards i want you to feel at home. This is alllllll for you kiddo.[/quote]

I was wondering when you would have this set up and ready for us to use. I can bring snacks.

For pull ups, I have a bar in my bedroom doorway that I got a Crappy Tire for $20. I’ve had it for a couple years and have gotten a ton us use out of it. It bolts into the frame.