T Nation

Minimum Frequency to Keep the Muscle and Strength Levels

Dear Coach, due to the changing of the work and several hours a day required for travelling, I´m going to be able to train only on the weekends (two days in a row) for the following 3 to 4 months. Therefore I´ll like to ask you for guidance on how to schedule the training to at least keep the current muscle and strength levels. I have several years of lifting experience, with average strength levels (2xBW SQ, 2.5BW DL, 1.25BW BP) at approximately 85KG, generally lean but not ripped.

The approach I have thought is to have 2 full body sessions using the lifts I´m currently trying to increase or have good experience with them:

1. Full Body 1 - strength based, using the 5/4/3/2/1 loading approach for the front squat, snatch grip deadlift and bench press, with accessory chin-ups using the low reps (below 5) and probably several sets of OHP using the low reps (below 5)

2. Full Body 2 - functional hypertrophy workout, using the more volume eg. 5x10-6 or 8,6,4,6,8 for the back squat, and incline bench press supersetted with leg curl and rowing with similar rep schemes and then having several supersets for arms and shoulders going into the failure.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Jan

what’s your working week looks like ?

Basically:

05:30 Get up and have quick breakfast
06:30 to 08:30 Comute to work by train and metro
09:00 to 17:00 work with 30 min lunch break, whole day sitting in front of the pc
17:00 to 19:00 travel back to home
21:30 go sleep

I suppose/hope after month or two I am going to be able to add third session in the middle of the week. Therefore training is not going to be problem.

Best on some reading and personal experience you should be able to maintain cutting your volume down to as low as a third of what you currently do. Frequency is not as much of an issue as is total volume.

why dont you try the CT training for busy people ? 19:00 to 19:20 max 19:30

Actually for someone who can only train on the weekends my answer would have been pretty darn similar to what you thought about