Minimum Effective Dose for Strength

Maybe it would have been better to just list my program and get opinions, but since I recently switched it up I haven’t had enough time to see if it will work or not, so I figured a more general question regarding opinions on low volume programs would be better. But here it is so any opinions would be appreciated.

Doing double progression on all lifts
Tuesday
Press 5x5
DB press 4x8
Plate raises 2x15

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
Chins 4x8
Fathers walks 3 rounds 30 seconds each
EZ bar curls 4x8

Friday
Bench 5x5
Dips 4x8
DB bench (slight incline) 4x8

Sunday
Deadlift (starting the Matt Kroc deadlift program from T-nation)
Chins 4x8
Landmine rows 4x8
Kroc rows 1x15

On off days the plan is to do sprints or battle ropes but haven’t as of yet.

The reps are all pretty low. After the main lift shift the reps to the 8-15 range for two to four sets. Switch the exact scheme weekly. Switch the actual assistance exercises around frequently too. I would also strongly encourage you to do a lot more rowing variety. Chins are great, but so are DB rows, BB rows, bent over DB rows and inverted rows. Try incorporating one row per day.

2 Likes

I completely understand f-ed schedules. I work offshore for three weeks at a time 12 hrs a day and 7 days a week. It’s actually closer to 16 hrs a day, but 12 on paper.

Doing the main lifts 5x5 will give you results to a point. At some point though you do get into diminishing returns, plateau, and have to figure out what’s next. Stronglifts 5x5 does just this with a linear periodization scheme (and it’s not the only one).

I tend to agree with @MarkKO on moving to higher rep assistance. Also- are you picking assistance work because it goes together or because it addresses a specific weak point? I don’t see a lot of hamstring and glute work. Is your posterior chain that strong or do you just hate it? A good indicator is what exercises do you really hate to do.

If you want to be efficient in assistance work, figure out what your weak point in the lift is and address that first.

2 Likes

I’ve been lifting fairly steady for about two years now, I actually started out with stronglifts 5x5, then moved on to 5/3/1. I was getting good progress with 5/3/1 but I always found myself skipping the assistance due to time. So I’ve been trying to simplify the program, and my choices of assistance are mainly what I thought I’d get the most bang for my buck with like the farmers walks. I don’t think there’s any lifts I particularly hate, everything is just driven by time constraints and I lift at home so I have only basic equipment that I’ve been accumulating over the last year or so. And truthfully I moved to 5/3/1 out of boredom with stronglifts, it was very monotonous. So I often wonder if I moved on to a more advanced program too soon. I believe I said in an older post that I do tend to over think things, I’m a bit OCD, but I think I get lost in all the information on here sometimes and I just want to simplify everything, not over think it, and get steady results.
So with hamstrings for example, I just didn’t know where to put it without dropping a different lift from the program. Yes my posterior chain is strong (for me), deadlift seems to be my best lift, but I’m nowhere near potential as far as poundage.
After 2 years my 1rm (for what it’s worth) are:
Press 165
Bench 275
Squat 365 (falling drastically lately, I think I’m having technique issues for some reason)
Deadlift 405

I’m ok with these numbers for now since I haven’t touched a barbell in 20 years (46 years old) but as I said there’s a lot more progress to make.

But I’ll take what you guys said into account on the reps and focus more on weak points.
Thanks!

1 Like

Dude, if you can’t fit the 5/3/1 main work in with assistance then you have no chance with anything else. I just can’t see how you could do less work.

1 Like

Though not ideal, one thing you can do is do an assistance work day to make up what you couldn’t hit in your other days. I think Brandon Lilly does this in The Cube method if I remember right. All the best.

1 Like

Greg does the same. Our Friday is generally a full body assistance day, either focused on lower body and back or pressing and back.

2 Likes

This

531 pr set or rest pause set
If a bit more volume for the main lift FSL AMRAP
If time do a couple of cycles BBB

Assistance done circuit style (5 x 10)
Pull 50 rep Row or pull up
push 50 rep push up or dip
single leg or core 50 rep lunges/bulgarian Split squats or some AB work

This could be one of the most minimalistic ways to gain strength and a bit of muscle.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of a separate day to do assistance! I believe that’s the answer I’ve been looking for, I’ll still plan my assistance on normal lifting days but if I can’t finish due to time I’ll add an extra day that week to finish my assistance work plus work on some weak points.
Thanks!

2 Likes