T Nation

Minimizing Pain From Squats

My lifts are bench 285, deadlift 410 x 2 and squat 335x 3. Right now I’m working at a warehouse for a semester to save money for my last year of school, and the job involves picking up 20-75 lb boxes from a conveyor belt and loading them onto pallets for 9-11 hours 5-6 days a week.

Since I am a classic pussy and try to avoid squats I always get sore for at least 3 days after squatting and now with my job it’s worse. I know I do need to squat, and I will, but I would like to know what some opinions would be to go high reps/volume or high weight and low weight etc. in order to minimize the effects of neglect (soreness). I would appreciate any input, however caustic and damaging to my fragile emotions. :slight_smile:

Eat a shit load of protein, take fish oil caps. You’re going to get sore dude just need to deal with it. Do you want to grow? Do you want to get stronger? You need to sacrafice if you want it bad enough.

[quote]sambaso777 wrote:
My lifts are bench 285, deadlift 410 x 2 and squat 335x 3. Right now I’m working at a warehouse for a semester to save money for my last year of school, and the job involves picking up 20-75 lb boxes from a conveyor belt and loading them onto pallets for 9-11 hours 5-6 days a week.

Since I am a classic pussy and try to avoid squats I always get sore for at least 3 days after squatting and now with my job it’s worse. I know I do need to squat, and I will, but I would like to know what some opinions would be to go high reps/volume or high weight and low weight etc. in order to minimize the effects of neglect (soreness). I would appreciate any input, however caustic and damaging to my fragile emotions. :)[/quote]

about a million yago when i was about 18 i did a similar job, stacking concrete slabs and blocks. you are gonna be sore to start but it will pass after a few weeks as you get used to it. suck it up and get plenty of food and sleep. enjoy.

IMO, take this chance to eat as much food as possible and get your lifts as high as possible.

I have no evidence for it, but I’ve seen a fair bit of people who, when given the opportunity to ‘train’ a muscle or movement for 9-11 hours a day, 5-6 days a week (Assembly Line/Construction workers) are able to greatly increase the capacity of said muscles with adequate food intake.

Adequate in this case, means shitload.

[quote]sambaso777 wrote:

Since I am a classic pussy and try to avoid squats I always get sore for at least 3 days after squatting and now with my job it’s worse. I know I do need to squat, and I will, but I would like to know what some opinions would be to go high reps/volume or high weight and low weight etc. in order to minimize the effects of neglect (soreness). I would appreciate any input, however caustic and damaging to my fragile emotions. :)[/quote]

Like everyone has said, you’re gonna get used to it. But, I have to ask, why did you say you “have” to squat? You don’t have to. It’s not the exercise of all exercises. Personally I’d be more worried about my lower back than sore quads. Try another exercise, like leg presses and see how that goes.

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]sambaso777 wrote:

Like everyone has said, you’re gonna get used to it. But, I have to ask, why did you say you “have” to squat? You don’t have to. It’s not the exercise of all exercises. Personally I’d be more worried about my lower back than sore quads. Try another exercise, like leg presses and see how that goes. [/quote]

squats, leg presses, whatever… dude’s still going to be sore because of the work. makes no difference. will get used to it eventually.

edit: benefits in the long term. manual work plus hard training = strong man.

Thanks for all the replies. My back has actually not given me any problems since I started and my posture has improved, something which was mentioned by several other people who worked there and said that would happen. I have started to eat more, and the soreness has diminished, I guess I am becoming more accustomed so we’ll see how it goes.

Getting some blood moving through your legs can help against soreness and speed up recovery. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, some bodyweight squats or simply pushing against a flexband works. Foam rolling might also be a good idea.

Other than that it’s just like people allready said, you’ll get used to it. Just make sure to eat well.