Minimising DOMS

Hey all,

just need some advice really. I work as a landscaper, which is pretty physically demanding, which i can normally handle without a problem, but now i’ve started getting DOMS the days after gym, it’s making work HELL.

How do you guys minimise the effects of DOMS?

Nathan

Epsom salt baths help me as well as cryo-therapy.

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:
Hey all,

just need some advice really. I work as a landscaper, which is pretty physically demanding, which i can normally handle without a problem, but now i’ve started getting DOMS the days after gym, it’s making work HELL.

How do you guys minimise the effects of DOMS?

Nathan[/quote]

Try Surge brother! Read up on it in the store on this site. First time I used it after a brutal squat session there was a definitive decrease in my soreness overall and it made me a believer.

D

Surge would help. So would BCAAs. What this really points to is eating a carb and protein full post work out meal or two.

have you just started a new routine? From your wording, it seems so. Give your body time to adjust and it might get better.

other than that, Flameout could be a good choice.

I’ve read studies showing vitamin E 400-600 IUs could help as well.

A little light cardio to get the blood flowing. Sleep and stretching too.

More food. I am always less effected by DOMS if I eat a larger post-workout meal. Some people say just have a shake and your supps, I totally disagree. The T-coaches say you cant eat enough in the first hour. But I say there is never enough food to eat in the THREE hours after a workout. DOMS just means your body wanted more carbs and protein a few hours ago. Once they hit they stay for a while, the best defense is an offense, Beat the DOMS down before they arrive.

Normal persons PW: 40g prot, 20g carb, creatine, BCAAs and some other shit

My PW: 2 double cheese burgers and half a liter of milk, wait an hour and down a bowl of dhaal with meat curry and spinach.

If you are concerned about getting overweight, just balance your 8 meals so that your breakfast, PW and bedtime are your largest meals, rather than lunch or dinner.

Try it, hope it helps.
Nade

Repeat post… stupid Macs

for me I have noted that once you have DOMS short of pain killers there is little to make you feel better…

Prevention or at lease suppression is what is needed…

I use (when not low carbing) pure cherry juice 8oz morning and 8oz after workout (in your case after work)and turmeric root powder. Taken 3x daily 2 table spoons each…

both taste like shit! but work really well.

hint take cherry juice with splenda added to get it down & the turmeric I put in bread and wod it up and swallow it whole…
or man up and spoon it in your pie hole and a water chaser…

the only thing i can think of that will work are prescription painkillers. they should not be too much harder to find than steroids, which might work too

Surprised no one else has recommended this yet, but BCAAs. I’ve noticed a slightly decreased amount of soreness, but I know a lot of people experience a lot less soreness when they take them.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
the only thing i can think of that will work are prescription painkillers. they should not be too much harder to find than steroids, which might work too[/quote]

Shoot, get a lobotomy while your at it, kill a mouse with a nuke. Redirect a river to get a drink, eat an elephant for an appetizer…

gee whiz…

[quote]inthego wrote:
eremesu wrote:
the only thing i can think of that will work are prescription painkillers. they should not be too much harder to find than steroids, which might work too

Shoot, get a lobotomy while your at it, kill a mouse with a nuke. Redirect a river to get a drink, eat an elephant for an appetizer…

gee whiz…[/quote]

No kidding. Prescription painkillers to get over DOMS?! DOMS doesn’t hurt that bad. Unless you have zero pain tolerance.

Sometimes simply just moving around will help get over DOMS.

Here is what I have found to help from my experiences:

• Be sure to get lots of protein and carbs in while and IMMEADIETLEY after training. Drink some whey and eat high-gi fruits (bananas) or drink orange juice. Always choose mother nature over a lab/company
  • always do some sort of 5-10 min cool down after training (light cardio, fast walking, some light stretching, etc)
  • Avoid hot showers/sauna after training for several hours. The heat increases inflammation which will actually make the soreness worse. I only take cold showers after training/practice/games which helps reduce inflammation and calm the CNS to get you in a “rebuilding” (parasympathetic) state
  • be sure you�??re eating enough during the day and at night
  • go for light jogs in the morning when you wake up and try to be active during the day. The blood flow is good my friend
    -plenty of sleep (duh)
  • if you�??re DOMS is really bad and you have training or something early the next morning, take a tbsp of baking soda before you go to sleep. The soreness will be gone upon waking. I try to only do this when absolutely needed though bc I want it to always be effective
  • some fish oil might help but I dunno. Supplements never really do shit from my experiences

Hope this helps!

it works better than the placebo effect

Good PWO nutrition (hence the Surge working). Proteins carbs and fats taken in over a long period after training.

Cold showers help too, creatine and recovery supplements are worth a shot.

Regular massages, Active rest is great IMO, and strangely a higher frequency or training rusults in a significant decrease in DOMS… so if i train 3x a week i get sore, but if i train 4x a week i get less sore… - but basically go for anything that increases your recovery abilities.

Joe

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=551687

aha! i read the word “toxins” in that article. we all know what kind of people use that terminology

[quote]eremesu wrote:
aha! i read the word “toxins” in that article. we all know what kind of people use that terminology[/quote]

Anti-toxin people?

[quote]eremesu wrote:
the only thing i can think of that will work are prescription painkillers. they should not be too much harder to find than steroids, which might work too[/quote]

easy to find? I love that shit to relax now and again on weekends, I had a generous doctor and now a generous friend, but am running low. care to enlighten me (maybe via pm)