T Nation

Minimalist Training How Would You Split?

Hey folks, just getting back into training after 5 years. I have 2 lifts i want to concentrate on Push Press + Front Squat.

The other 2 lifts will be bench press and RDL/GM/Deadlift.

Basic programming will be one lift a day for 4 sessions a week.

Push press - 6-10 sets of 3-5 reps
Front squat - 6-10 sets of 2-3 reps
Bench Press - 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
RDL/Rack Pull/GM - 3-5 sets of 4-8 reps.

How would guys split these 4 sessions? I was thinking Push Press and Front squat early in the week and follow that up with BP and RDL...

I would combine the Bench Press and RDL to a single day and add an extra squat day. You also should add an upper body pull to balance your pressing. I recommend chins or pulls between pressing sets. Good luck.

Yeah i will be doing some rows/arms/abs later in the week for my "other stuff day".

You know what? Maybe i should do a few excercises with my BP and Deadlift day to get the volume up with lower intensity.

However, i love training one lift a day. So my priority lifts will stay has is.

Do 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big assistance template very minimalist and very effective. You could do Push Press instead of OHP or do Push Press as the main lift and strict press for your BBB sets.

Never fails...
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/one-lift-a-day-program

Yeah i've been aware of that program for a longtime. However i just want to focus on 2 lifts a week - heavy. And i don't like following strict rep schemes. I like thinking on my feet so to speak, with steady progression in mind. Like if i'm feeling good on a day i could do 10x3 instead of 8x3 the week before. If i'm feeling strong i might work up to a heavy single of double. Do a wave, ratchet loading etc etc I'm a big fan of changing the load often throughout the worksets.

My main question really is would it be better to do the 2 heavy days close together IE mon/tuesday or spread out more IE monday/friday for instance. Can't remeber what most people would do.

Minimalist should be full body in most cases. Upperbody push. upperbody pull, and squat or deadlift. 2-3x a week. Saved me when Ive been busy.