Mini-Workouts Between Main Workouts?

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I wouldn’t bother except for stretching and foam rolling which should be done daily .

If you’re sn athlete or losing fat this would be different. IMO , if you have all this workout energy left over, you’re not training hard enough. And again , if you’re training for some other athletic event other than powerlifting that’s a different story .
[/quote]

I disagree

I think if you don’t have the energy for them your GPP is too poor (maybe because I am young)

I also think that they do speed recovery and are also very useful to help bring up lagging muscle groups.

I know Donnie T does them. So do lots of other big name lifters.

I saw a big difference when I started doing them, in my recovery and in how fast I could bring up lagging muscles.

Rest, eat & sleep, occasionally I’ll read a book or watch a DVD.

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I wouldn’t bother except for stretching and foam rolling which should be done daily .

If you’re sn athlete or losing fat this would be different. IMO , if you have all this workout energy left over, you’re not training hard enough. And again , if you’re training for some other athletic event other than powerlifting that’s a different story .
[/quote]

I disagree

I think if you don’t have the energy for them your GPP is too poor (maybe because I am young)

I also think that they do speed recovery and are also very useful to help bring up lagging muscle groups.

I saw a big difference when I started doing them, in my recovery and in how fast I could bring up lagging muscles.

[/quote]

This

I don’t understand how ever other sport have practice everyday and in Powerlifting people are worried about recovery from lifting “heavy” when it’s mostly because you’re out of shape.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[/quote]

I disagree

[/quote]

This

I don’t understand how ever other sport have practice everyday and in Powerlifting people are worried about recovery from lifting “heavy” when it’s mostly because you’re out of shape.

[/quote]

Couldn’t be because the energy demands and physiological consequences of “every other sport” are VASTLY different from powerlifting. Nah. Just couldn’t be.

Absolute piss poor analogy. Playing basketball or running football drills (not full pads, full contact, full speed for 60 minutes of clocktime, mind you) at 80-100% intensity is something you can recover from in 24 hours. Try “practicing” powerlifting at those intensities every day and see how long you last. Besides, doing 100 extra reps of tricep pushdowns every single day isn’t “practicing” shit and it’s not going to have a significant short-term contribution to GPP since that takes years of work to develop.

Hell, even the closest relative lifting sport to powerlifting, Olympic lifting, is so vastly different from Powerlifting that you can’t make 1=1 comparisons between the two.

You’re better served putting your efforts into your actual workouts, recovering when it’s time to recover, and gradually increasing relevant workload during your training sessions to increase GPP instead of dragging a 30 lb sled for 100 feet every day thinking that it’s going to get you into shape.

worried about recovery from lifting “heavy” when it’s mostly because you’re out of shape.

[/quote]

Get back to me in 3 weeks when you’re halfway through that second phase. :slight_smile:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

worried about recovery from lifting “heavy” when it’s mostly because you’re out of shape.

[/quote]

Get back to me in 3 weeks when you’re halfway through that second phase. :)[/quote]

That’s why I’m doing the extra sled work tomtom

I was just thinking of doing enough to get a good pump and get the heart rate up without really feeling the muscles strain. Occasionally when I have to cut a workout short either because it’s a bad day or time limitations, I push it harder and basically add more volume to the main workout the next day. And of course recovery work like stretching, re/pre-hab, and soft tissue work is included.

I read things about Louie saying this guy dud 100 band pushdowns every day and his bench was up 100 lbs x tines later . Was he taking better shit? Better bench shirt technique ? Was he limited in volume before?

This is not always touched on. I’ll give you an example of a josh workout .

Deadlift, work up to 455,495. Then do ten sets of 390 x 3 with minute breaks .

Rows 215 x 5, 3 sets. shrug. Three sets in the 300 for high reps

stiff leg deficit 265 or so for 2-3 sets for 3-5

reverse hyper three sets, spread eagle situps

it’s not to bad after the deadlifts. But those deadlifts will destroy you. This was from a 585 puller btw

I’m not allowed by him to do more other thsn walking.

Now again, if I was an athlete training would be structured differently .

And for what it was worth I thought a westside template was a lot easier than josh’s stuff .

Yep. My best pull was 585 before I started with Josh. The first three weeks killed me. Dead.

Now he has me pulling 525, 590 then three sets of 495 x 2 three minutes rest . My gpp or actully spp is up. Feeling like crap, tired, flat. and I still have the ability to move the weight. Which is what I want to do.

I’m in my late forties . Running hills is not my current interest . My son is in better " shape " thsn me but I can blow through sn equivalent workout much easier .

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[/quote]

I disagree

[/quote]

This

[/quote]

Couldn’t be because the energy demands and physiological consequences of “every other sport” are VASTLY different from powerlifting. Nah. Just couldn’t be.

Absolute piss poor analogy. Playing basketball or running football drills (not full pads, full contact, full speed for 60 minutes of clocktime, mind you) at 80-100% intensity is something you can recover from in 24 hours. Try “practicing” powerlifting at those intensities every day and see how long you last. Besides, doing 100 extra reps of tricep pushdowns every single day isn’t “practicing” shit and it’s not going to have a significant short-term contribution to GPP since that takes years of work to develop.

Hell, even the closest relative lifting sport to powerlifting, Olympic lifting, is so vastly different from Powerlifting that you can’t make 1=1 comparisons between the two.

You’re better served putting your efforts into your actual workouts, recovering when it’s time to recover, and gradually increasing relevant workload during your training sessions to increase GPP instead of dragging a 30 lb sled for 100 feet every day thinking that it’s going to get you into shape.
[/quote]

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Yep. My best pull was 585 before I started with Josh. The first three weeks killed me. Dead.

Now he has me pulling 525, 590 then three sets of 495 x 2 three minutes rest . My gpp or actully spp is up. Feeling like crap, tired, flat. and I still have the ability to move the weight. Which is what I want to do.

I’m in my late forties . Running hills is not my current interest . My son is in better " shape " thsn me but I can blow through sn equivalent workout much easier .

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[/quote]

I disagree

[/quote]

This

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nice. I hope I’m moving that much weight when I’m your age.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I read things about Louie saying this guy dud 100 band pushdowns every day and his bench was up 100 lbs x tines later . Was he taking better shit? Better bench shirt technique ? Was he limited in volume before?

This is not always touched on. I’ll give you an example of a josh workout .

Deadlift, work up to 455,495. Then do ten sets of 390 x 3 with minute breaks .

Rows 215 x 5, 3 sets. shrug. Three sets in the 300 for high reps

stiff leg deficit 265 or so for 2-3 sets for 3-5

reverse hyper three sets, spread eagle situps

it’s not to bad after the deadlifts. But those deadlifts will destroy you. This was from a 585 puller btw

I’m not allowed by him to do more other thsn walking.

Now again, if I was an athlete training would be structured differently .

And for what it was worth I thought a westside template was a lot easier than josh’s stuff . [/quote]

It’s not hard to see why you’re told not to anything besides walking. That’s a lot of volume even by my young person standards a lot of which is done with big compound movements. Especially for your age. At least to me.

I guess it works for me because basically I just do the large compounds movements at the gym and and some other smaller movements I do there just b/c they have the equipment. Then I do most of the high rep like 5x15 rep scheme type stuff at home plus some pump/cardio-ish type bw type stuff in addition for GPP and body comp about 24 hours later. If I feel it starts hindering progress, I’ll be quick to eliminate mini-workouts from my routine, but until then I’ll keep it up.