T Nation

Mini-cut for a Month?

I am getting back into lifting after a tough year and much time off...

Currently 6 "2" at 180 lbs with high bodyfat. Approximately 18% or so. Personally I don't feel comfortable and would prefer to be leaner before I add more weight. But I realise I am very thin for my height. I have now decided to go on a mini cut to get my bodyfat down to a reasonable level. Say 14/15% I have assigned myself a month to allow this. Would this be plausible?

Then I plan to cleanly bulk for the foreseeable future. I have never followed a strict diet and that is probably the main reason for me ending up with a high bodyfat. I would like to know the best plan of action for achieving my goal?

why not workout harder, do a little more cardio and not use the word "cut" because you're not "cutting" you're just trimming a little fat. You're obviously not working out hard if you're 6'2" and 180... Also the best plan of action would be to use the search function and do a little research.

.greg.

If this is true, you have 32.4 "or so" pounds of fat on you.

Why not get serious for 4 to 6 weeks and cut this in half so that you're closer to 9% BF? This is what I'd do if you were my client.

The trick is to be smart about it and not starve yourself while doing a bunch of endurance work. Restrict caloric intake while eating smart and stick to training heavy as if your primary focus were building muscle.

There are plenty of articles on this site that will help if you're willing to make the effort to find them.

x2. At your level, if you clean up your diet a bit and bust your ass in the gym your body composition will definitely change favorably.

Just what I needed to hear from these responses. Would it be possible for anyone to direct me to the articles of the kind of cardio I should be doing to see some fat drop off. Busting my ass in the gym and do some cardio, don't know if its high enough intensity though. Good luck with your endeavors man!

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty confident that I will be able to lean out pretty soon. I had always been lean but I think it's over the past year, a lot of eating and sporadic training has led me to put on unwanted fat.

So the plan is to cut down to a reasonable level, not too fussed about abs yet. In a 4/6 week period then evaluate and if I'm happy to maintain for a while, I can switch back into clean bulking again. Having read many articles I can see where I went wrong with my previous attempts at bulking.

Training wise I think I'm sorted, just a routine 3 day split. 20 minutes after each gym session. and 30 minutes fasted low intensity cardio on waking, on a couple of my off days. My routine will not change will be heavy as possible, 5 rep range on main lifts.

Dietwise will follow the 7 habits...

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Protein will be somewhere in the region of 1.5g per lbs to 2g. I may gain some muscle while following this sort of diet from what I have read? Also slowly taper carbs off as I get closer to bedtime.

I will measure progress every two weeks. Take a photo and update my blog.