Mineral Supps

Is it necessary to take mineral supps while on a high protien diet?

I’m just making a few changes to my diet, ie eating every 3 hours and trying to consume 20-30 grams of protein each meal. However I am really increasing my protein intake and I keep reading studies which show high protien diets to cause a negative mineral balance particularly with calcium.

Is anyone taking the Biotest mineral supps or any others that they would recomend?

Also if anyone has lookied into this extensively and can help me understand a bit better that would be much appresiated. One thing I would like to see is any studies which compair bone mineral density of subjects on high protein diet to subjects on ‘normal’ protein intake.
Thanks, Josh

It’s more important to take in more minerals if you sweat alot, like during outdoor activity during the summer. Electrolyte loss through sweat is one of the things that leads to loss of performance and cramping. If you train outside or participate in sports that require a great deal of constant physical excersion then you may need to supplement with extra minerals, or at the very least modify your diet to include more fresh leafy greens, and mineralized waters.

DJ

1. balance your high intake of animal protein with lots of veggies

2. supplement with zinc

[quote]cyph31 wrote:

1. balance your high intake of animal protein with lots of veggies

2. supplement with zinc[/quote]

Thanks heaps guys, I eat plenty of veggies but I’ll try and add a bit more of the green leafy shit. I dont train outdoors much, now that the rugby season is over, just weight training 4-5 times per week.
Has anyone had one of those hair analysis things done? was it worthwhile?

We actually use bloodwork here at the clinic. Crayhon Labs, and Spectra Cell are the two that we use. Crayhon would be the cheaper of the two, and is a fairly comprehensive test.

DJ

I have always felt better off of a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral/greens product.

The only thing I watch out for is the amount of iron in these products. I usually buy them without iron and like powders .vs. pills.

Depending on what type of activities you do and how strenuous would determine if you they are absolutely necessary.

Imo there are few vitamins/minerals that you could od on by accident. Most would just pass through you, and in this case you would be wasting your money. I personally think that a multi-vit/multi-mineral supplement is cheap enough that even if some pass through you it’d be worth it to have proper mineral/vitamin supplementation.

my opinion of course…

Gerdy

[quote]djreef wrote:
We actually use bloodwork here at the clinic. Crayhon Labs, and Spectra Cell are the two that we use. Crayhon would be the cheaper of the two, and is a fairly comprehensive test.

DJ[/quote]

Thanks mate, how much should I expect to pay for the blood test? I would be really interested in finding out a few other things from the blod work too.

Also were would I go to get the sample taken? a GP? I live in Austalia so I’ll have to check and see if those two are here.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I have always felt better off of a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral/greens product.

The only thing I watch out for is the amount of iron in these products. I usually buy them without iron and like powders .vs. pills.

Depending on what type of activities you do and how strenuous would determine if you they are absolutely necessary.

Imo there are few vitamins/minerals that you could od on by accident. Most would just pass through you, and in this case you would be wasting your money. I personally think that a multi-vit/multi-mineral supplement is cheap enough that even if some pass through you it’d be worth it to have proper mineral/vitamin supplementation.

my opinion of course…

Gerdy[/quote]

Thanks Gerdy, good tip on the iron.

For those of you who wanted more info:
I don’t think the amount of exercise I’m doing is that much. and the intensity isn’t excessive (1 hr 4-5 times per week) but I’ve found lately that I get run down after only 3 or 4 weeks on a particular program.

I get a cold or sore throat, also I get coldsores. I’ve droped my volume a bit from 5-6 days a week and I realise that periodisation is important, but I think that nutrition might have a bit to do with it. I think I’ll try a multi mineral first.

At the moment I have a four day split Leg, Chest, Back, shoulders and arms. I just put in a rest day when I feel I need it. This week I trained legs sunday, chest monday, tuesday off, wednesday back and today I’ll do shoulders and arms. I’ll prob have friday off and train legs sat.

I base all my workouts around one compound lift, atm squats for leg day, bench press for chest, dead lifts for back, military press for shoulders.
I do five heavy sets of <6 reps. Then I’ll do 2-4 other exercises (superset), keep it heavy for compound, but more reps less sets for the isolation exercises.

I generaly get my 8 hrs a night, but I struggle on wed and thur as I have to get up at 5am. Also I’ve had a gf for 4 months now so sometimes I miss out on half a nights sleep :wink:

Just made some changes to my diet about a week ago, as I mentioned in the first post. Used to train the same but only eat 4 meals a day and pretty much no protien for breakfast.
I really appreciate everyones comment so far, nice work Gerdy impressive stats and body mate.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
djreef wrote:

DJ

Thanks mate, how much should I expect to pay for the blood test? I would be really interested in finding out a few other things from the blod work too.

Also were would I go to get the sample taken? a GP? I live in Austalia so I’ll have to check and see if those two are here.[/quote]

Not sure how much for Aussie’s but here in the US the Crayhon report costs less than $100. Spectracell is considerably more expensive, but also more acurate. I actually do the sitdown consults here at the clinic, and prefer the Crayhon reports. The data is much easier to explain to the patient, and is laid out a little more coherently.

I’m not sure if a GP is going to mess, or even have time to mess with testing of this nature. It’s a rather time consuming process to explain the results. I’d try an alternative health practice, or just do an online search for Crayhon, or Spectra-Cell MD’s in your area. Both companies have an approved referral listing of docs that use their tests.

DJ

Thanks heaps mate