T Nation

Mind Muscle: Rear Delt

I can’t seem to “feel” my rear delt in either doing Bent Over Reverse Fly (DB) or Face Pulls of any kind. I typically tend to feel my scapula pinching my shirt or skin between them.

Recently pulled something doing rear delts with 20 lbs so I’m a little unstable for the moment, point being I am not doing heavy poundages and still can’t get the feeling.

When I do Face pulls on the Lat Pulldown station I use a rope and lean back excessively. I do stretch my arms forward before I begin the movement. I only get my elbows to 90 degrees as well because If I go farther I get some pinching of my biceps tendon. I still feel my scapula pinching more so here.

Any tips guys?

Dont go to full extension at the beginning. Keep constant tension. Go as far forward as you can before your shoulder joint moves. Its tough to explain but that may help.

If you have impingement causing pain or ROM problems that’ll need to be addressed at some point. No idea how to fix that particular area. Broomstick stretches maybe?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Dont go to full extension at the beginning.

[/quote]

Do you mean keep a bend in my elbows or shoulder? I forgot to mention I keep my elbows fixed with a soft bend.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Go as far forward as you can before your shoulder joint moves. Its tough to explain but that may help.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, you mean don’t let my shoulder roll forward right? I’ll try to stick my chest out to avoid that happening if that’s what you mean.

Thanks a lot man.

Your elbow angle should change a lot, throughout the movement. Meaning your biceps will flex. Grabbing the rope with an overhand grip and keeping your elbows above your hands will limit the biceps involvement. Actually how high your elbows stay depends on the angle of your torso but the angle of your forearm to your torso should be perpendicular. DOnt let your elbows sag.

Dont let your shoulders come forward meaning dont let the rope pull your shoulders, you control the weight not the other way around. If you stick your arms out in front of you you should be able to move your hands a few inches away from your body just by moving your shoulder blades. Dont let that happen when doing the facepulls.