Mind Muscle Connection: Earplugs

So I didn’t want to post this in the beginners forum as it would get bombard with trolls and missed by experienced lifters. Sorry if this is a stupid topic but I’m curious on what others think.

Does or has anyone work(ed) out with ear plugs before?

I’ve seen one lifter (not huge) do this before at a gym many years ago and never thought anything of it. I always workout with an iPOD and it’s great and all however, I was thinking about trying to workout(s) with ear plugs.

My thinking is that it will get you more focused on the exercise you are preforming and on getting a good contraction. Almost like meditating where you inhale then visualize air traveling through your nose to the rest of you respiratory system then exhale visualizing it leaving. Could ear plugs help you “meditate” to help visualize/feel the muscle being used thus increasing your mind muscle connection?

Sure, but I’m not trying to meditate, I’m trying to lift really heavy things which loud music certainly helps accomplish.

I think it really just depends on you. Personally, I find that when I start lifting, I don’t hear anything at all even with my music playing. I always wear an mp3 player with noise cancelling ear buds. I don’t think it’ll make a world of difference but I always need to have my mp3 player on to drown out all the stupid shit that’s going on around me.

Actually I find that I can concentrate better without anything over my ears.

Considering the music they play in my gym earplugs sound like a good idea. It’s bubble gum all day long! God forbid some Metallica, ZZ Top, Guns N’ Roses, Anything with some drive please!!

Sorry but I’ve been bottling this up.

Well it cant hurt unless music gets you amped. But i dont think it is necessary. Speaking for myself every time i step in the gym i am focused and in the zone (e.g. mind muscle connection) because if i dont bust my ass that one day i lose it and thats one less day to build muscle. But you bring up an interesting idea. You should experiment with it and let us know.

Maybe that mind/muscle connection is good…but I think really if you go to the gym with the right mentality “seek and destroy” I think that will get you a lot further. It’s all about having that internal drive and it doesn’t matter what’s playing or anything…just get it done.
I workout in my basement and sometimes I just put the radio on for white noise. The shittiest music could come on, but that doesn’t stop me from crankin out whatever gotta get done.
Even if your looking for just a connection between mind n muscle. Just strictly focusing on what your doing comes a long way.

You’ll have a hell of a hard time convincing me it will make any difference in the long term either way. i’m still coming to terms with the fact that drinking things 5.67 mins and eating something 9.1234 mins before you workout or whatever it is matters all that much!

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
You’ll have a hell of a hard time convincing me it will make any difference in the long term either way. i’m still coming to terms with the fact that drinking things 5.67 mins and eating something 9.1234 mins before you workout or whatever it is matters all that much![/quote]

You could have at least chosen non-sequential numbers…

I feel as if i’ve really been able to lift with more focus and intensity as soon as i left my ipod at home. There’s music playing in the gym, but i dont really hear it once i start lifting. I also wear a hat sometimes cause it helps me drown out all the stupidity that’s going on around me.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
stevo_ wrote:
You’ll have a hell of a hard time convincing me it will make any difference in the long term either way. i’m still coming to terms with the fact that drinking things 5.67 mins and eating something 9.1234 mins before you workout or whatever it is matters all that much!

You could have at least chosen non-sequential numbers…[/quote]

I lawled.

I too have an ipod but i only use it for cardio… for some reason having things in my ears when i am lifting takes away from my concentration.

I too cant hear music during a set… it blocks out.

Way - your comment about meditation is ignorant to the power of the mind, as well you know it.
Never psyched yourself up for a set? That is a form of meditation.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I wasn’t expecting huge/many replies just curious if anyone heard of this or indeed do anything like this. I’m the type of person that gets pumped from music for sure. Conan Soundtrack - Gladiator Theme has been pumping me up all the time.

[quote]johnson575 wrote:
I feel as if i’ve really been able to lift with more focus and intensity as soon as i left my ipod at home. There’s music playing in the gym, but i dont really hear it once i start lifting. I also wear a hat sometimes cause it helps me drown out all the stupidity that’s going on around me.[/quote]

I’m sure people will still try to talk to you if you had ear plugs in. The thing is at my gym everyone knows everyone and I hate when people ask me about school, life, and or work. I hate to ignore people to but I guess I have to learn to do it lol.

[quote]J-J wrote:
I too have an ipod but i only use it for cardio… for some reason having things in my ears when i am lifting takes away from my concentration.[/quote]

I’m beginning to feel this as well…

…I am the same as well. I cannot sing to a song even if I tried when doing something like heavy squats. I don’t even hear the lyrics. Same can be said about sports when one is playing a game I get to the point where I cannot even hear the audience due cause I’m so into the task at hand.

Ya I was thinning about doing that. I would probably do it for about 2 weeks or 8 workouts. 4 of them I would get used to having to amp myself up and get used to the fact I have no music then the rest hopefully get to the point where I don’t notice them and ready to go.

I had a couple back workouts where my lats where just hanging out and not doing anything. I’m also upper back dominate. The only thing I feel I “hit” now is triceps and legs. My chest doesn’t get the pump it used to a couple months ago. I don’t think I’m focused enough so I brought the earplug idea up to see if it indeed helped at all.

But we’ll see. I’ll report with a log or something on this thread.

I train at home, and play loud rock from stereo speakers. I do it because it not only helps me stay psyched, but it also drowns out the sound of my crackling joints… which I find to be really disturbing to hear.

Considering the music they play in my gym earplugs sound like a good idea. It’s bubble gum all day long! God forbid some Metallica, ZZ Top, Guns N’ Roses, Anything with some drive please!![/quote]

You should come to the gym I work at. I play a lot of the older rock-metal :wink:

stevo_ wrote:

You could have at least chosen non-sequential numbers…[/quote]

You’re right, i’m running out of energy for my sarcasm these days, i’ll start a thread asking for tips as i don’t want to hijack this one.

I tried using I-Pod during lifting it just annoyed me !

Doing Squats or Deadlifts don’t lend themselves to distractions, so i just throw the I-Pod on the ground, only use it for morning cardio now.

If its a near PR everything gets blocked out when i just start lifting it, it’s crazy and great :smiley: