Mind-Blowing Pump with 40-30-5

Every once in a while I look at old articles and decide to try things.
Tried 40-30-5 for lateral raises, slight incline db curls and v bar standing triceps ext.
mind blowing pump is an understatement

Well, it makes physiological sense since 40 seconds is the peak of lactate accumulation and the short rest prevents you from clearing most of that lactate so it builds up from set to set.

I may have to cut it down to 40-30-3, and work up to 40-30-5. I’m at work, just went to the kitchen to nuke my food. Carrying my plate and my left biceps cramped and screamed at me.
The low weight was humbling.

Cool, I haven’t heard of this one before. Im going to have to give it a shot.

Explain it please or post link

Just go to T nation and look up “the new 40-30-5 Method”

You will find everything you need in this article.

It is brutal. It is worth a shot for single-joint exercises.

So I am liking this. Sticking with it for a while. 5 sets I can’t complete.
How to adjust?
Drop the weight either and get the time and sets in? Either during the middle like the 4th and 5th or drop the weight for all and get the time in? add a token amount of weight when 5 sets of 40 seconds with 30 seconds rest can be completed?
Drop the sets and add another when I complete, for instance, add a 4th when I get all three, and then add a 5th when 4 are completed successfully?
Add time to the rest, get all 5 sets, chop 5 seconds off when all 5 can be done, etc, until doing on :30 rest?

Start your first set with a weight that you can lift the prescribed TUT with 2-3 reps short of failure. This should make you able to stay in the right ballpark for the first 3 sets without sacrificing effective reps.

On your fourth and fifth set you do everything you can to reach those 40 seconds. If you can’t do eccentrics anymore, switch to concentrics. If you can’t do concentrics anymore, switch to yielding isometrics. If you can’t do yielding isometrics anymore, switch to yielding eccentrics.

The goal eventually is to make those 40 seconds so if you have to drop the weight, do it. But postphone it as long as you can.

Also, if you’re training smaller muscle groups with this method like biceps and on the fourth set you can’t flex your elbows anymore, that means your biceps are cooked and you are DONE. You have milked out all the maximum effective reps and going beyond that point only means more damage to the muscle.