Mind-Blowing Music

As I’m sure some have noticed, I’m pumped on Mastodon’s new album. Here is a quote from their drummer describing the story line of the record:

"There is a paraplegic and the only way that he can go anywhere is if he astral travels. He goes out of his body, into outer space and a bit like Icarus, he goes too close to the sun, burning off the golden umbilical cord that is attached to his solar plexus. So he is in outer space and he is lost, he gets sucked into a wormhole, he ends up in the spirit realm and he talks to spirits telling them that he is not really dead. So they send him to the Russian cult, they use him in a divination and they find out his problem. They decide they are going to help him. They put his soul inside Rasputin’s body.

Rasputin goes to usurp the czar and he is murdered. The two souls fly out of Rasputin’s body through the crack in the sky(e) and Rasputin is the wise man that is trying to lead the child home to his body because his parents have discovered him by now and think that he is dead. Rasputin needs to get him back into his body before it’s too late. But they end up running into the Devil along the way and the Devil tries to steal their souls and bring them down?there are some obstacles along the way."

Wow. Wrap your fuckin head around THAT. The music is great, but the story line alone makes me love the record. Any other amazing/intriguing/strange albums you guys would recommend?

Is it better than Leviathan? That album was pretty much flawless.

Burzum
High on Fire, “Surrounded by Thieves”
Girl Talk, “Feed the Animals”
Daft Punk, “Alive 2007”
Harvey Milk, “Life…the Best Game in Town”
Clutch
The Knife, “Deep Cuts”
The Mountain Goats, “Heretic Pride”

Check out Ayreon’s Into the Electric Castle. It’s got an epic story line, even if it’s a little cheesy. It’s about 8 people who are kidnapped from different times of the earth who are forced by some intelligent narrator to find their way out of the Electric Castle (don’t want to spoil any more of it). It’s a cool album. Ayreon has a few other similar albums, but that one’s my favorite.

Thanks for the heads up on Mastodon, I’mma check that out.

The Mars Volta’s Deloused in the Comatorium is about a guy who tries to kill himself by overdosing on some shit and ends up in a coma. He goes on trippy adventure through his own mind and ultimately decides that he still wants to die.

Only it’s The Mars Volta, so you probably won’t get any of that without an extensive analysis of the lyrics. The music itself paints a pretty vivid picture though. Basically the perfect album, IMO.

Dimmu Borgir’s last album

In Sorte Diaboli is the band’s first concept album, with a story located in medieval Europe. It is about a priest who begins to doubt his faith, and then ends up taking the place of the Antichrist. “There’s this dude that works as a priest’s assistant, and after a while he just discovers that he has nothing to do with Christianity,” Silenoz says. “He just sort of has this awakening and realizes that he has different abilities and different powers and is leaning more to the dark side.” The words “In Sorte Diaboli” are a repeated line in the song “The Chosen Legacy” and the words also appears in the end of the song, “The Sinister Awakening”.

The conclusion of the story in the booklet implies that the story of In Sorte Diaboli is not yet finished, possibly hinting that Dimmu Borgir’s next studio album will continue this concept. Additionally, the “Making of In Sorte Diaboli” Special feature, Silenoz says that the concept of this album will continue into the next five albums, finishing a six part series. IGN named the album the Top Metal Album of 2007.

Pat Metheny
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Adam Rogers
Jonathan Kreisberg

yeah i like guitar music

Meshuggah for sure:

Winds that shine a bright, blinding dark. Kerosene
flames so cold they crack
Suns that blow becalmed twisters. Ferocity sleeping.
Nothingness stacked
Intestines worn to shield the inward limbs. Screams
unheard. Deafening thoughts
Levitating ground. The solid water burns. Liquid
stone. The immobile turns

Corrosion soothing the hurt within
Surroundings reaching to touch your skin
Progress in stalemate. Death is alive
Eyes and mind glint - Glints collide

[quote]CDM wrote:
Is it better than Leviathan? That album was pretty much flawless.[/quote]

It’s more prog and less sludge, but I like it better still.

I can’t wait to see how the’re gonna pull this off live.Love this disk.

[quote]masonator wrote:
As I’m sure some have noticed, I’m pumped on Mastodon’s new album. Here is a quote from their drummer describing the story line of the record:

"There is a paraplegic and the only way that he can go anywhere is if he astral travels. He goes out of his body, into outer space and a bit like Icarus, he goes too close to the sun, burning off the golden umbilical cord that is attached to his solar plexus. So he is in outer space and he is lost, he gets sucked into a wormhole, he ends up in the spirit realm and he talks to spirits telling them that he is not really dead. So they send him to the Russian cult, they use him in a divination and they find out his problem. They decide they are going to help him. They put his soul inside Rasputin’s body.

Rasputin goes to usurp the czar and he is murdered. The two souls fly out of Rasputin’s body through the crack in the sky(e) and Rasputin is the wise man that is trying to lead the child home to his body because his parents have discovered him by now and think that he is dead. Rasputin needs to get him back into his body before it’s too late. But they end up running into the Devil along the way and the Devil tries to steal their souls and bring them down?there are some obstacles along the way."

Wow. Wrap your fuckin head around THAT. The music is great, but the story line alone makes me love the record. Any other amazing/intriguing/strange albums you guys would recommend?[/quote]

Cocaine’s a helluva drug.

[quote]JLu wrote:
masonator wrote:

Wow. Wrap your fuckin head around THAT. The music is great, but the story line alone makes me love the record. Any other amazing/intriguing/strange albums you guys would recommend?

Cocaine’s a helluva drug.[/quote]

LOL. Though I’d lean more towards a combo of acid/weed/shrooms in this case…

acid/weed/shrooms…That used to be my main diet.LOL.All that laughter made for rock hard abs.

[quote]palindrome wrote:
Check out Ayreon’s Into the Electric Castle. It’s got an epic story line, even if it’s a little cheesy. It’s about 8 people who are kidnapped from different times of the earth who are forced by some intelligent narrator to find their way out of the Electric Castle (don’t want to spoil any more of it). It’s a cool album. Ayreon has a few other similar albums, but that one’s my favorite.

[/quote]

I fully endorse this post.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
palindrome wrote:

I fully endorse this post.[/quote]

I’ll be sure to check it out.

Anyone who doesn’t want to get the whole Mastodon album needs to get “Oblivion” (both normal and intrumental) and Crack the Skye. Oblivion is just a kick-ass song and Crack the Skye has the singer from Neurosis on it…

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
palindrome wrote:

I fully endorse this post.[/quote]

X2

But I think “The Human Equation” is by far Arjen’s best work.

i like Remission better

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i like Remission better[/quote]

They’re just really different. It’s like Crack the Skye is from a different band. I like both, though.

Andrea Bocelli : Il mare calmo della sera

Remission = fire
Leviathan = water
Blood Mountain = earth
Crack the Skye = wind

fucking wrap that around your head bro.