MILO Magazine

I got an ironmind catalogue in the mail yesterday and was captivated by the MILO magazine that they sell. seems pretty informative but i dont know if i want to buy it due to its hefty price tag. so for those who have had a MILO magazine: is it worth it?

also, if u can recommend me which volumes to buy, thatll b great! thx!

I have been getting MILO for the last 6 years and enjoy it very much.

You don’t have to put up with all of the really moronic adds that the other muscle mags have.

Fred

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:
I have been getting MILO for the last 6 years and enjoy it very much.

You don’t have to put up with all of the really moronic adds that the other muscle mags have.

Fred[/quote]

REALLY?! NO ADS?!

thats awesome man. So i pretty much take it that every issue is pretty good? Do u know if any of the older issues r worth it?

I just picked up several back issues on ebay the other day.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
I got an ironmind catalogue in the mail yesterday and was captivated by the MILO magazine that they sell. seems pretty informative but i dont know if i want to buy it due to its hefty price tag. so for those who have had a MILO magazine: is it worth it?

also, if u can recommend me which volumes to buy, thatll b great! thx![/quote]

MILO is a pretty cool magazine, though they tend to be focused a lot on Olympic lifting. There are no ads (except for stuff from Ironmind sometimes) and it’s a neat little volume.

I’d recommend getting some back issues to see if you like it before getting a subscription. They usually have a list of the different topics in each issue in the back of the catalog, but I haven’t seen the new one so I don’t know if they still do that. Still, a good read overall.

I enjoy it quite a bit. The articles are usually pretty solid and focused around strongman, olympic lifting, grip training, and highland games stuff.

I think a lot of the stuff in there is good old school advice and training styles that have worked for decades but always get lost due to fads being promoted by the glam-zines. I certainly think it is worth it, but I just request it as a Christmas gift each year.

Regards,

Sensless

I get it off and on. If you got the $$ in is definitely worth it!! I tend to run short of $$:(

hmmm…looks like a perfect gift for the holidays

Hi
I’ve got every issue bar 4 which I’ll probably get at Christmas.

IMO The writers now aren’t as good as they were 5-10 years ago but it’s still worth the money.

If you like the history and culture of lifting then buy it; if you want cutting edge info then there are better places to go like right here.

Hope that helps

Chris

[quote]Youch wrote:
Hi
I’ve got every issue bar 4 which I’ll probably get at Christmas.

IMO The writers now aren’t as good as they were 5-10 years ago but it’s still worth the money.

If you like the history and culture of lifting then buy it; if you want cutting edge info then there are better places to go like right here.

Hope that helps

Chris[/quote]

Dr. Ken Leistner’s “Life In The Loft” alone is worth the cost of a subscription.

It’s not a magazine it’s a Quarterly Journa. you will get for “books” a year.

I have subrcribed off and scine they first began publishing. It’s a really great publication but it’s not for everyone.

They have a little of everything but tend to foucus on the esoteric fringe of physical culture.

They can be a bit anti-powerlifting, at least anti competitive powerlifting.

Dr. Strossen has a fetish for Olympic lifters and Victorian era Strongmen. It’s great for people who like to read about obese Prussians who ate three boiled rabbits for breakfast, hoisted 500 pound anvils an died before they turned 45.

They writer who covers Arm Wrestling is a bit of a Jesus freak, he seems to think Jesus actually cares about Competitive Arm Wrestling.

I’ve got all the milos except the last 4, if your just into bodybuilding then you may not find them at all interesting. Louie simmons wrote a few good articles in some of the early issues (that dont appear on WSB site or elite fts site) someone put this ‘what if’ article on this site a while back.

Bill Starr, Ken leistner all write good atricles in every issue,If you are interseted in the Louie Simmons articles pm me and I’ll dig out which issues they are and let you know. Off the top of my head vol 4 no.1 is one of my favourites, which has Stephen Botev on the front at the bottom of a 250kg clean.
Peace.

[quote]buddaboy wrote:
I’ve got all the milos except the last 4, if your just into bodybuilding then you may not find them at all interesting. Louie simmons wrote a few good articles in some of the early issues (that dont appear on WSB site or elite fts site) someone put this ‘what if’ article on this site a while back.

Bill Starr, Ken leistner all write good atricles in every issue,If you are interseted in the Louie Simmons articles pm me and I’ll dig out which issues they are and let you know. Off the top of my head vol 4 no.1 is one of my favourites, which has Stephen Botev on the front at the bottom of a 250kg clean.
Peace.[/quote]

the thing is, im into both powerlifting/olympic lifting and bodybuilding; i like how strong these people are but also like to be lean at the same time. im switching into a more strength-based program but still consider leanness in the pictures. this magazine seems like the only magazine (actually “book” considered to u guys) that doesn’t give any bs advice and just focuses on weightlifting/ strength sports.

Great magazine…old school for sure, but where else can you get solid O-lifting or powerlifting material these days at the news stand? MILO and NSCA Journal is the way to go in my opinion.

I havent been buying many magazines for quite a while, used to buy all of them and had boxes…but they all turned into bikini issues with bodybuilding articles that were not so great…if there are other good new magazines out there please let me know, Id be interested in checking them out…years ago Muscular Development actually was writing good articles on S&C for athletes, but I guess it wasnt popular because it went back to the bodybuilding junk

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Dr. Ken Leistner’s “Life In The Loft” alone is worth the cost of a subscription.

It’s not a magazine it’s a Quarterly Journa. you will get for “books” a year.

I have subrcribed off and scine they first began publishing. It’s a really great publication but it’s not for everyone.

They have a little of everything but tend to foucus on the esoteric fringe of physical culture.

They can be a bit anti-powerlifting, at least anti competitive powerlifting.

Dr. Strossen has a fetish for Olympic lifters and Victorian era Strongmen. It’s great for people who like to read about obese Prussians who ate three boiled rabbits for breakfast, hoisted 500 pound anvils an died before they turned 45.

They writer who covers Arm Wrestling is a bit of a Jesus freak, he seems to think Jesus actually cares about Competitive Arm Wrestling.

[/quote]
Nice Post -obese Prussians made me laugh.

I enjoy Dr Leistner’s writing although it can be a bit repetative. I always look forward to reading Bill Starr, especially when he talks about the old days at York Barbell.

I’ve noticed a couple of articles creep in about “core work”, I’ve meant to write in but haven’t got around to it.

Hail to the fat Prussian,
Chris

Great journal.

As said earlier, McCallum, Liestner, Starr…all worth the price of admission.

The typical layout of a mag is like this…

A personality profile, usually strossen interviews an oly lifter, strongman, the occasional PL, etc.

4-6 Strentgh training articles. Ranging from the very old school Steve Justa lifting anything not bolted down, to Listner and Starr, to the occasional article by Casey Butt or some other CSCS, which can be fairly sciency.

They cover major OL contests, Arm wrestling meets, Strongman, Highland games, both major and local. Not much PL, though they’ll usually have a summary of the major comps in the IronFillings section.

Yes, there are a few guys who profile old time strongmen…one guy writes about old soviets, another italians or whatever…If you dont like it, dont read it, haha it’s only a few pages, mienkia.

Also, they have a lot of article written by readers about, well, lifting stuff. If nothing else, you get to see guys who are elite and guys who are lifting in their backyards, but what comes through is the love of lifting.

If you are looking for a 16week spreadsheet program, then it’s not the place for you. There is the occasional program, but it’s usually very basic.

I have every issue from vol. 1.1 on…