Milk/Yogurt Interfering w/Antioxidants?

Read an article (more a blurb, really) some months ago that basically ran thus:

Taking milk w/tea greatly reduces its antioxidant effects. Taking lemon with tea significantly enhances its antioxidant effects.

One of my fave quick meals is a big bowl of oatmeal made with whole milk and a bunch of walnuts and frozen berries. Similarly, I’ll make fruit-and-protein smoothies like this: cup of berries, some OJ concentrate, walnuts, olive oil, water or apple juice (varies), raw eggs (sometimes), whey protein, cup of plain yogurt.

I’m also considering supplementing w/calcium in the morning, as I’m not sure I get enough from my diet. I definitely don’t get enough fruits and veggies in my diet (though I’ll occasionally throw half a bag of frozen mixed veggies into an omlet).

SO… I like milk, like yogurt, like the protein I get from both. Am I negating the effects (at least the antioxidant effects) of the berries/tea/veggies I ingest by consuming them at the same meal w/dairy? If I were to invest in Biotest Superfood, for instance, should I not consume it w/milk/yogurt/related foods? Other high-calcium foods?

Another possibility (re. the milk/tea thing above): something other than the calcium interfering w/antioxidant effects of tea? What about dairy and vitamin C?

Wondering if this is the sort of thing one should time like w/dairy and ZMA. Other than deciding if I want some cottage cheese or a ZMA sleep-boost more before I go to bed, I’ve never really worried about nutrient timing.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some real insight into this. -F

Interesting. I can’t really offer much insight into it personally, but I would be interested in finding out more on this subject. Do you have a link to the article?

I think the jury is still out on this one. While it is true that milk proteins can form som sort of complexes with polyphenols from, at least tea, it doesnt seem to affect the serum concentrations of said phenols. There are a few conflicting studies done on the matter.

[quote]Ironwarrior25 wrote:
Interesting. I can’t really offer much insight into it personally, but I would be interested in finding out more on this subject. Do you have a link to the article?[/quote]

No link, sorry. Don’t recall the source – some mainstream mag. I remember reading it while visiting my folks.

[quote]Mikael LS wrote:
I think the jury is still out on this one. While it is true that milk proteins can form som sort of complexes with polyphenols from, at least tea, it doesnt seem to affect the serum concentrations of said phenols. There are a few conflicting studies done on the matter.[/quote]

Mikael, any interesting links related to the above that can be readily understood by a layman? Also, you mention the proteins in milk – it’s not the calcium, then, with the potential to interfere w/antioxidants?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v424/n6952/abs/4241013a.html

[quote]Feist wrote:
Mikael LS wrote:
I think the jury is still out on this one. While it is true that milk proteins can form som sort of complexes with polyphenols from, at least tea, it doesnt seem to affect the serum concentrations of said phenols. There are a few conflicting studies done on the matter.

Mikael, any interesting links related to the above that can be readily understood by a layman? Also, you mention the proteins in milk – it’s not the calcium, then, with the potential to interfere w/antioxidants?[/quote] Nope, it is almost certainly the casseins. Apperantly, the catechins binds to proline-rich proteins like cassein.

The odd thing is that some studies find no difference in the concentration of the catechins in serum after tea drinking with or without milk, while others conclusively proves a near total attenuation of the effect on blood flow with milk.

The bottomline is that drinking tea with milk will diminish the effect otherwise seen on your blood vessels.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v424/n6952/abs/4241013a.html[/quote]

Wait, so chocolate that’s processed with milk doesn’t have any cardioprotective effects?

If we assume that all non-milk chocolate have cardioprotective effects in the first place (which they do not, courtesy of modern production methods), then yes. Cassein binds to the flavanoids, preventing their absorbtion.

Depending on which paper you consult, at least :slight_smile:

Thanks for the above-posted links. Read both. Also found this, relating to blueberries and milk:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T38-4V47CC9-4&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1031809320&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f38219f9682a83d74667ce65b60266d3

Milk, cheese, yogurt – all favorite foods of mine. Milk and yogurt also tend to figure into most anything I put into the blender. Don’t want to think I’m nixing most of the beneficial qualities of the berries I put in there. BUT, maybe I’m looking at this too narrowly.