Milk With Surge?

I have been using milk with my Surge instead of water lately, and as expected it tasted much better. I notice it does clearly state water on the back of the bottle, not water, juice, or milk, like most protein powders say. Now granted this doesn’t clearly show that milk does harm, but I’d imagine they would have said you could use it if it didn’t change anything.

But really, does using milk with Surge make any difference?

If there really is some sort of negative effect, I’d switch back to water in a heartbeat, otherwise I prefer the taste of the milk.

I would guess it tells you to use water because of how long it takes to digest.

i only take mine with milk!! the chocolate is the bomb!!

mmmm Surge + chocolate milk.

I’m sure someone will come up with the science behind it and the answer but I’ve always thought the ingredients of Surge were finely-calibrated to just be had with water. I imagine the extra carbs, lactose, etc would interfere with basis of Surge, as well as absorption. Not to mention the whole protein with water vs. milk digestion/absorption time arguments.

Sgnl, you’re more or less right.

Milk is 80% Casein protein, which as we know takes its sweet time to digest. It also contains lactose, which takes much longer to break down than than the Dextose and Glucose in Surge. Most milk also contains fats, which obviously take much longer to digest. You really want this stuff to digest as fast as possible for the insulin spike. Stuff that takes longer to digest won’t pack nearly the same insulin punch.

Another author (Can’t remember who it was) wrote that nearly everyone has some degree of lactose intolerance. Anytime you’re introducing an allergic reaction to the body some amount of cortisol is produced. It may not be much, but right after a workout your goal is to make your body as anabolic as possible.

If you absolutely HAVE to take it with milk, make sure it’s fat-free.

Alright I think I’ll go back to using water. I’ll get over the taste sooner or later.

By the way, I think many authors here have said that nearly everyone is lactose intolerant to some degree.

Why would you take it with milk? Surge is meant to be made with water as its suppose to rush nutrients to your muscles. Mixing it with milk would slow down this process.

Just searched for this post. Didn’t find the answer I was hoping to see. I tried Surge for the 1st time yesterday. Chocolate Surge + room-temp water = bleh. It was a little better tasting when I put ice in it, but I’d much prefer to put it in skim milk.

Oh well. I’ll try to get used to it w/ water. Do the other flavors taste better w/ water?

I’ve never tried any of them with milk, but I really enjoy Original, Root Beer, and Raspberry with water (I haven’t tried the others yet). I only mix my whey with milk. One thing I do differently with Surge is dissolve it in much more water than the label says. I take Berardi’s recommendation and mix one serving with ~28 oz. water. Using less water gives it a slight aftertaste IMO.

Surge + water equals yummy goodness. You might have added too much water? this stuff makes me want to workout 7 days a week just to have it.

[quote]sgnl05 wrote:
I’m sure someone will come up with the science behind it and the answer but I’ve always thought the ingredients of Surge were finely-calibrated to just be had with water. I imagine the extra carbs, lactose, etc would interfere with basis of Surge, as well as absorption. Not to mention the whole protein with water vs. milk digestion/absorption time arguments.[/quote]

This is correct. Post workout you want fast assimilation of protein/aminos and milk proteins slow this process down. Water is the intended mixer for correct use. Hell, I understand, I wanted to use milk originally to because it tasted so damn good to me, but then it was explained to me.

D