Milk While Cutting?

When cutting, I often hear ‘replace milk with water’ because milk has some fat, slows down the absorption of protein, makes you bloated and so on. My question is, if I’m cutting, trying to lose fat , but retain as much muscle mass as possible, giving up milk will result in refusing a good amount of high quality protein that would help me upkeep at least some of my lean muscle mass.

In addition, often, different diets aimed at shedding off fat but maintain muscle, will foremostly state that you should be on a really high protein consumption plan as to not loose muscle along with the fat.what is your take on it guys? Thanks in advance…

I don’t think there’s anything necessarily wrong with including milk in your daily protein intake, simply be mindful of the other macronutrients that come along for the ride. Fat aside if you’re a skim milk fan, milk contains a nice amount of sugars, and if your monitoring your sugar/carb intake in your daily #s, it can be an issue depending on how much milk you’re actually drinking each day.

In this regard, most people will opt for more filling sources of protein when in a caloric deficit. Additionally, solid sources will require a greater caloric expendature to digest, so another added benefit.

When you get down into the low single digit bodyfat levels, some people will not tolerate any dairy especially well. This is why you will hear about many competitors avoiding what may have been usual foods for them simply as a precaution.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
When you get down into the low single digit bodyfat levels, some people will not tolerate any dairy especially well. This is why you will hear about many competitors avoiding what may have been usual foods for them simply as a precaution.

S[/quote]

Stu, is this true of whey protein also?

Thanks Stu, makes more sense now. I’ve been on a diet for about two weeks now. No carbs, sweets etc. ( well, now that you mentioned, only the ones I’m getting from milk ). I am eating 5 solid meals a day and two protein shakes. Solid meals are plain grilled chicken breast with nothing else, no rice no pasta, nothing.

I train everyday, 6 times with weights anyone with cardio. Lost about 4 kg in two weeks so it’s going pretty well, but I’m still thinking, maybe I should, lessen solid meal number and up protein shake, so let’s say 3 times solid meal and 3 times shakes a day. Or maybe I’m just being too fussy, you know, ’ if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

[quote]devoted wrote:
When cutting, I often hear ‘replace milk with water’ because milk has some fat, slows down the absorption of protein, makes you bloated and so on. My question is, if I’m cutting, trying to lose fat , but retain as much muscle mass as possible, giving up milk will result in refusing a good amount of high quality protein that would help me upkeep at least some of my lean muscle mass.

In addition, often, different diets aimed at shedding off fat but maintain muscle, will foremostly state that you should be on a really high protein consumption plan as to not loose muscle along with the fat.what is your take on it guys? Thanks in advance…
[/quote]

I largely view milk as part of my progression in nutrition. When I was younger and had less cash, milk was a large part of my nutrition plan and it served me quite well since it was inexpensive. More recently, I’ve dropped milk almost entirely and get my protein and fats from other sources, mainly due to to points Stu raises about the sugars that came along that I didn’t want. I still drink it sparingly simply because I love the taste. Just part of the toolbox and you should look at it that way. My 2 cents…

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:

S[/quote]

Stu, is this true of whey protein also? [/quote]

Im not Stu but yes this is true for whey also. At normal bodyfat this is not really something you can notice. Currently my protein shakes are 33%whey iso 33%casein 33%egg white powder

From 2 weeks out I will completly remove protein shakes and will drink eggwhites instead

Whey/milk/lactose whatever can make you hold a bit of water, but thats no big deal unless youre doing a photoshoot or competing or something like that

[quote]zraw wrote:

S[/quote]

Im not Stu but yes this is true for whey also. At normal bodyfat this is not really something you can notice. Currently my protein shakes are 33%whey iso 33%casein 33%egg white powder

From 2 weeks out I will completly remove protein shakes and will drink eggwhites instead

Whey/milk/lactose whatever can make you hold a bit of water, but thats no big deal unless youre doing a photoshoot or competing or something like that[/quote]

No but you do have, I think, the biggest boulders for shoulders on the site so I’m good with what you say. haha

I suppose you’re right as whenever I see contest diets the shakes are always cut out at some point. Never being sure exactly why I just assumed that your food intake was so low that solid food would make you feel a little more satiated than shakes or liquids…if there is such a thing during prep.

Thanks for answering that and totally amazing log in bbing section.

[quote]zraw wrote:

S[/quote]

Whey/milk/lactose whatever can make you hold a bit of water, but thats no big deal unless youre doing a photoshoot or competing or something like that[/quote]

No but you do have, I think, the biggest boulders for shoulders on the site so I’m good with what you say. haha

I suppose you’re right as whenever I see contest diets the shakes are always cut out at some point. Never being sure exactly why I just assumed that your food intake was so low that solid food would make you feel a little more satiated than shakes or liquids…if there is such a thing during prep.

Thanks for answering that and totally amazing log in bbing section.[/quote]

Last 3weeks should be the most fun as I have weekly things changing

I am a little curious on the logic behind this: Is it not so that raw egg whites is loaded with sodium and also have a very poor degree of absorbation?

I guess skin less chicken breast would be better, but that just me…

[quote]Mr. Troll wrote:

I am a little curious on the logic behind this: Is it not so that raw egg whites is loaded with sodium and also have a very poor degree of absorbation?

I guess skin less chicken breast would be better, but that just me…[/quote]

I drink pasteurized eggwhites so absorbtion is not a problem

Sodium will be taken care of in the last few days

But I should have mentionned that chicken and horse will be what I mainly use
If I need something quick ill drink 500ml eggwhites