Milk Vs. Chocolate Milk

[quote]shlevon wrote:
PenguinsCantFly wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Chocolate milk is a fine alternative for the peri-workout period (before, during and after training). Other than that, I don’t consider it a good choice, be it for bulking or dieting, due to the sugar content.

This is exactly what I was going to say :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I don’t recommend it pre workout, only because I know a lot of people that don’t do well with any type of milk before physical exertion. If you know what I mean.

If you have a very quick metabolism and are looking for some easy cals, then I think chocolate milk is fine. The only problem is it is high glycemic index due to the usual high fructose corn syrup found in most chocolate syrups, which could cause fat storage.

Bottom line, it has its benefits, and, just like everything else, is fine in moderation.

HFCS is not high glycemic.

In fact, since it’s usually a bit more fructose than glucose, it’s lower glycemic than sucrose (which is a 50/50 split of fructose/glucose).[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that. :slight_smile:

[quote]shlevon wrote:
PenguinsCantFly wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

In fact, since it’s usually a bit more fructose than glucose, it’s lower glycemic than sucrose (which is a 50/50 split of fructose/glucose).[/quote]

HFCS is the devil.

Fructose isn’t high glycemic because it is more easily and readily converted by the liver directly into fatty acids instead of glucose.

Of course it doesn’t cause a glucose spike, it’s too busy skipping that step and going directly to fat.

Down with corn syrup!

–ElbowStrike

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
shlevon wrote:
PenguinsCantFly wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

In fact, since it’s usually a bit more fructose than glucose, it’s lower glycemic than sucrose (which is a 50/50 split of fructose/glucose).

HFCS is the devil.

Fructose isn’t high glycemic because it is more easily and readily converted by the liver directly into fatty acids instead of glucose.

Of course it doesn’t cause a glucose spike, it’s too busy skipping that step and going directly to fat.

Down with corn syrup!

–ElbowStrike[/quote]

I knew that HFCS was not a good idea because it can cause fat gain, but I assumed that was because of a high GI.

Yeah, that’s what I get for assuming :stuck_out_tongue:

The good thing is that many food manufacturers seem to be doing a better job of keeping refined sugars like HFCS out of their products. Of course, plenty still do.

I just saw “A Christmas Story”, like 5 times today, and I am gonna have to agree on the Rich Chocolate Ovaltine.

I drink ? a gallon of chocolate milk every day np. No reason to worry about the sugar unless you aren’t actually physically active or if you are dieting.

From my researching int he ingredients, i’ve found that Chocolate malt flavor of ovaltine is the best for peri workout nutrition. The yellow jar. My favorite also

How about adding some chocolate protein powder to your whole milk?