T Nation

Milk Thistle

So, I just bought some Milk Thistle, and I was comparing it to others brands.

Mine contains 2100mg (standardized to 80% Silymarin) of Milk Thistle Seed Power.

“In summary, when using Milk Thistle, look for brands that contain at least 140 mg silymarin per serving. Research indicates that a dosage of 200-400 mg silymarin per day is best (taken in two equal divided doses) for obtaining a therapeutic and protective effect.” http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460640

At 80% Silymarin, one caplet contains 1680 mg. Since it’s not toxic, I’m not worried about overdosing, but would taking this much be a waste? Should I just split the caplet into pieces and take just half a day?

What brand are you taking lmjudek? I’m betting the 2100mg is probably 210mg…not that I haven’t been wrong before.

That’s what I was worrying about, too.

The brand is Quest

Manufactured in Canada…
PanGeo Health Brands, Inc.
Vancouver, BC
www.questvitamins.com

(http://questvitamins.com/product.asp?id=48&cat_name=Herbs)

There it says Butternut Bark of Root Powder, although mine says Burdock Root Power…

But it does state 2100mg on their homepage as well.

These aren’t the gelatine covered capsules though… seems to be a pure extract… I dunno how to describe it. Um… hard, just like a Centrum Vitamin pill would be the best description I suppose.

I am not sure about the density of milk thistle but damn at 2100mg or i tad over 2g those would be some HORSE pills i would think??

Has to be a misprint I would say. Is it 2100mcg possibly??

[quote]Phill wrote:
I am not sure about the density of milk thistle but damn at 2100mg or i tad over 2g those would be some HORSE pills i would think??

Has to be a misprint I would say. Is it 2100mcg possibly??

[/quote]

Doubt it, since all the other ingredients are in mg form as well. Not really that hard, considering that a vitamin pill the same size easily has 2g of all kinds of compounds. Should I whip out the microscale?

Milk Thistle Seed Powder (Silybum marianum) (Provided by 60mg of P.E. 1:35)

2100 mg

2100/35 = 60mg of milk the extract

lmjudek, 2100mg is 2.1g. Horse pills like Phill said.

I did a search on the Internet for the Milk Thistle Extract Formula + Quest and found the ingredients listed as follows:

Ingredients:
Milk Thistle-480mg (standardized to 80% = 384mg)
Burdock-155mg
Dandelion-155mg
Licorice-40mg
Wild Yam Root-60mg

assenvy:

Are you sure that’s what 60mg of P.E. 1:35 means?

Tampa-Terry:
I know 2100mg are 2.1g. Where did I say otherwise?

The ingredients you stated… my bottle contains them all at the exact same amounts, other than Milk Thistle Seed Powder being 2100mg and not 480mg @ 80%.

I sent them a message, so maybe they’ll clear this up.

I know 2100mg are 2.1g. Where did I say otherwise?

Relax, lmjudek. I wasn’t suggesting you didn’t know how to make a conversion from milligrams to grams. It was more a case of my thinking out loud. All I was trying to say was that 2.1g won’t fit into a capsule. It’s obviously a typo on the web site.

My apologies for offending you. I was only trying to help.

Oh no Tampa-Terry, I didn’t mean it that way. You know how on a forum sometimes stuff comes off mean when it was just a normal question? I guess that’s what happened. I was simply wondering why you mentioned that:)

Thanks, lmjudek. Whew! (wiping brow)

Communicating online can be challenging. For me it’s a dance between not talking down to someone (Heaven forbid!) and not talking over their head.

It really was a case of my thinking out loud . . . either that or not explaining myself well enough.

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
assenvy:

Are you sure that’s what 60mg of P.E. 1:35 means?

[/quote]

Well I know how quest does their stuff. It’s never a standardized extract. For example for saw palmetto they have a huge grammage of saw palmetto berries that ends up being a certain mg value of the extract. I’ve yet to see any company that produces milk thistle extract that high. Usually it’s 250mg to 300mg of the extract. I have 250mg and the pills are pretty big.

I get mine from Puritans pride, they have great prices.

any vitamin you can think of, they probably have it.

I even found some rare exotic herbs at that place.

Oh and to add. The quest one says “millk thistle seed powder”. This implies it’s crushed up seeds. As opposed to what mine says “Milk thistle seed extract”.

I did some googling, and the only thing I could come up that PE means is Powder:Extract ratio.

So 35:1 means for every 35mg of powder it contains 1mg of extract.

So I guess I was right.

On what assenvy wrote:

Actually, mine says Milk Thistle Extract Formula…

Well, I guess I was duped. I thought that more=better, and since it was cheaper than other supplements, I went ahead and bought it. Guess I should be more careful next time.