T Nation

Milk Instead of Water?

is it possible to not drink any water at all? Milk is 80% water, so my body should get all the water it needs out of the milk, right? I mean i’ll be drinking 1-1.5 large bottles of skimmed milk a day, which amounts to 1.5-2 kg.

i just think it would be far more efficient that way, since milk has water and protein and all sorts of nutrients, isntead of filling myself up on plain water.

someone said i need to drink pure water to eliminate toxins from body. What you guys think?

I do drink one cup or so of water at night with my ZMA, but that’s it. I’ve started this three days ago, cause i need a lot more protein and milk in my body, cause im vegetarian.

Yes it will hydrtate you as will food you eat but I would still aim to get more from water, tea etc… That doenst sound likke that much/enough liquid for someone who is training etc… MANY ppl are underhydrated

Ive read stories/article by many old school bodybuilders/strognmen who used to drink a gallon of milk a day. Especially when bulking they would do this and also mix in eggs, protein scoops, creatine, differnt amino acids, and other herbs and weird stuff. But most of them still recommemded drinking lots of water in between the milk. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, most peolpe dont drink near enought, let alone if your doing a lot of heavy lifting & cardio(sprints). Hope this helps some.

Dragon

go for it…just make sure you buy organic.

I drink a quart of chocolate milk a day, I try to get at least 3-4 liters of water a day still.

You can almost never have too much water.

[quote]silencer wrote:
is it possible to not drink any water at all? Milk is 80% water, so my body should get all the water it needs out of the milk, right? I mean i’ll be drinking 1-1.5 large bottles of skimmed milk a day, which amounts to 1.5-2 kg.

…[/quote]

2 kg of milk is approximately 1/2 gallon. You should be drinking more fluid than this.

looks like i gotta get more liquid (more of both milk and water) into me.

I aim for a gallon of water a day in the winter and up to 2 gallons a day in the summer. My numbers are a little high so that if I fail, it isn’t a huge deal. That is just water. Not even counting my quarts of milk with every meal.

Interesting fact that I came out with from the Chocolate Mile/Gatorade/Endurox study was that there’s actually more electrolites in a serving of Chocolate Milk than Gatorade. I can’t see why drinking milk as a fluid would be a bad thing at all.

you do NOT need to drink water to get enough fluids.

but it is MORE efficient to drink water instead of milk, not less efficient as you are supposing.

but you do not NEED to drink water if you can get water from other sources.

you absorb some water through your skin in the shower / bath / surf, too … not a lot but a bit.

why the heck you are trying to eliminate water though is beyond me.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
you do NOT need to drink water to get enough fluids.[/quote]

Yes and no. You can absorb it through food and other liquid sources. But the real question is, would that be effective and best for the body? The body needs more than the minimum to truly function in an optimal manner.

You really think the body can get enough water that way? For a sedentary person or someone bed-ridden, probably so. But for anyone active or living in a hot climate, I highly doubt it. It’s not efficient. You also use up a pint or more of water just by “living.” The body needs increased water intake to function optimally, and there are many benefits (better complexion, less stress on body organs, etc.).

Food alone is not enough, nor are soft drinks, milk or other drinks. Besides the fact that you won’t get enough water, it’s not really healthy.

Does anyone believe in eating/drinking and training to be healthy? Everything is taken to an extreme.

Why would you want to stop drinking water or decrease your intake? That’s absurd.

[quote]silencer wrote:
i just think it would be far more efficient that way, since milk has water and protein and all sorts of nutrients, isntead of filling myself up on plain water.[/quote]

Watch out for that water! It fills you up and adds unnecessary calories!

Oh wait…it’s water. It is digested in less than five minutes and has no calories…only many health benefits like hydration, improved skin, less stress on the kidneys and other organs, can help with digestion, helps increase metabolism and burn fat and many other things!

Drink your water and eat some food! Who cares if you eat more protein but end up being sick or feeling like crap because you’re not healthy from lack of water intake?

Is your stomach so small that you can’t eat enough food or drink water and not be too full?

Maybe you should tell us your daily food log. I doubt the decreased water intake is your issue.

[quote]Does anyone believe in eating/drinking and training to be healthy? Everything is taken to an extreme.

Why would you want to stop drinking water or decrease your intake? That’s absurd.[/quote]

Isn’t 2 gallons of water a day an extreme as well?

[quote]chirag wrote:
Does anyone believe in eating/drinking and training to be healthy? Everything is taken to an extreme.

Why would you want to stop drinking water or decrease your intake? That’s absurd.

Isn’t 2 gallons of water a day an extreme as well? [/quote]

Not necessarily.

It depends on many factors:

1. Level of activity
  2. Size of person
  3. Climate
  4. Diet/nutritional habits

For some people, two gallons a day would not be extreme at all. I’m much smaller than the average guy, and I’m not as active as a collegiate or professional athlete, but I’ve consumed 1-1.5 gallons of water per day on a routine basis. I can tell when I consume too much water because I start to get “chills.”

No not really. I have am and pm workouts and a physical job. 2 gallons for me seems reasonable.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
chirag wrote:

Isn’t 2 gallons of water a day an extreme as well?

Not necessarily.

It depends on many factors:

1. Level of activity
  2. Size of person
  3. Climate
  4. Diet/nutritional habits

For some people, two gallons a day would not be extreme at all. I’m much smaller than the average guy, and I’m not as active as a collegiate or professional athlete, but I’ve consumed 1-1.5 gallons of water per day on a routine basis. I can tell when I consume too much water because I start to get “chills.”
[/quote]

I get it you must be walking around with a water bottle wherever you go?

Could you explain what do you mean by “chills”? Do you start feeling cold or something?

[quote]chirag wrote:
I get it you must be walking around with a water bottle wherever you go?[/quote]

At work, five days a week for 8-hour days, I would keep a 50oz bottle of water with me. I drank 2-3 during the day. I drank more after work, during workouts and later.

[quote]Could you explain what do you mean by “chills”? Do you start feeling cold or something?
[/quote]

I’d actually get cold and get chills as if I was outside in the cold. This only happened at night when I had taken in a huge amount of water all day long and into the night.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
No not really. I have am and pm workouts and a physical job. 2 gallons for me seems reasonable. [/quote]

Could anyone here actually imagine drinking 2 gallons of milk a day?!!! My bowels would burst, and I’d probably lose all my friends.

And beyond all that Ivan, you would lose your ability to speak. Only one word could be said. “Mooo”

Eww and stinky Milk breath all the time yuck.

Also One thing you guys forgot to mention is the fact that lots of people actually mistake thirst for hunger.

I was never a big water drinker until recently, now I drink 2 - 2.5 liters or more depending on the day. Before hunger had a shallow feeling in the gut, kind of a “hmmm I guess Im hungry”. Now that I am well hydrated when Im hungry I gaet a “Holy crap give me food before I remove your head from your neck” empty pit feel in my gut.

A basically a completly diffrent feeling. This hydration affect has really helped me determine when I really am hungry. Not to mention I use it to curb my appetite if I start craving crap food.

Just my two cents.