Milk - Good or Bad?

Where do you get raw milk?

I WISH I could get raw milk. Here in Canada, it’s illegal for some stupid reason. Maybe I’ll just buy my own cow one of these days.

I participate in a “cow share” program. As long as one has ownership in a cow, then they have the the right to have its milk. The fee for the milk is the delivery fee from the the cow I partially own.

This sounds very weird, but is the only way to get it around here. Funny that the government doesn’t want people to drink milk unless it has no nutritional value or flavour.

[quote]Vegg wrote:
I WISH I could get raw milk. Here in Canada, it’s illegal for some stupid reason. Maybe I’ll just buy my own cow one of these days.[/quote]

It’s illegal in most places here in the US too, but you can get in on herd shares. Basically you pay a one time fee of $50 per share, and one share entitles you to one gallon per week (which you also have to buy) I had 2 shares in a herd share back in Ohio, so every week I went and picked up my two gallons at a local distributor for $6 per gallon.

The cows were all grass fed and the milking facility was really clean. The share is an investment in the dairy facility, and no state has been able to pass legislation barring you from doing whatever you want with your own milk.

I moved to Michigan and don’t know many people, so I’ve been trying to find a reputable clean herdshare but I might as well be trying to buying drugs. I went to a local farmer’s market and was asking around and everyone I asked got real nervous and wouldn’t talk about it.

+1 raw milk… some with lactose intolerance can drink it raw.

[quote]kostresa wrote:
+1 raw milk… some with lactose intolerance can drink it raw.[/quote]

Lactose is broken down by the enzyme lactase. Lactase is in milk but gets destroyed by pasteurization. People were never meant to digest lactose, and nature helped us out there.

Hmmm… I just had the brilliant idea of taking lactase tablets before drinking milk. Why didn’t I think of that before?

Skim milk is fine PWO if you’re trying to loose body fat. I’ve started adding 8 oz to my PWO shake (due to reading about the benefits of casein+whey PWO), and it’s had zero negative effect.

From what I’ve read, if you are European, milk should cause you no difficulties. Over the thousands of years Europeans adapted to the local foods in their culture, one of which is milk. In fact Europeans are more adaptable to animal products becasue of a relative lack of foods and growing seasons when compared to tropical environment.

As for “raw milk” perhaps I’m not a believer yet, but the reason we cook our milk its to prevent contamination. Its like the raw meat argument, it seems to be a gamble with parasites and disease.

After all milk is produced in less than sanitary conditions with the assumption that it will be pasteurized.

But yah milk is not for everybody, if you don’t respond well when drinking it, avoid it.

good!!

wait i mean bad!!

Yeah, I never have problems digesting milk however I usually get diarrhea and bad gas when I eat eggs, whats up with that? I guess everybody’s different.

[quote]malibu35072 wrote:
From what I’ve read, if you are European, milk should cause you no difficulties. Over the thousands of years Europeans adapted to the local foods in their culture, one of which is milk. In fact Europeans are more adaptable to animal products becasue of a relative lack of foods and growing seasons when compared to tropical environment.

As for “raw milk” perhaps I’m not a believer yet, but the reason we cook our milk its to prevent contamination. Its like the raw meat argument, it seems to be a gamble with parasites and disease.

After all milk is produced in less than sanitary conditions with the assumption that it will be pasteurized.

But yah milk is not for everybody, if you don’t respond well when drinking it, avoid it. [/quote]

raw milk is more beneficial than pasteurized milk. Just like its dairy friend yogurt (the real kind not fuckin yoplay), raw milk contains bacterias and cultures that actually promote better intestinal health and contain the enzyme that actually helps the human body digest the milk (someone mentioned that earlier). When milk is pasteurized the enzyme lactase and all those lovely cultures are destroyed thus making the milk that so many people are allergic to.

the only reason it is so hard to get raw milk in the U.S. is because of the dairy corporations that have surprising power in Washington (yay big business) who push laws on the basis that pasteurization is healthy. The truth is you can let the bacteria in real milk grow and it will never technically “sour” like pasteurized milk, you just get a thick curd like yogurt. end rant.

If you want to get a real treat, try Kefir. It is by far one of the best milk products out there and is exceptionally good for you.

[quote]ravell wrote:
raw milk is more beneficial than pasteurized milk. Just like its dairy friend yogurt (the real kind not fuckin yoplay), raw milk contains bacterias and cultures that actually promote better intestinal health and contain the enzyme that actually helps the human body digest the milk (someone mentioned that earlier). When milk is pasteurized the enzyme lactase and all those lovely cultures are destroyed thus making the milk that so many people are allergic to.

the only reason it is so hard to get raw milk in the U.S. is because of the dairy corporations that have surprising power in Washington (yay big business) who push laws on the basis that pasteurization is healthy. The truth is you can let the bacteria in real milk grow and it will never technically “sour” like pasteurized milk, you just get a thick curd like yogurt. end rant.
[/quote]

Great post.

Way too many of these predictable threads on milk, so let’s chart a different course:

What do you guys think of drinking milk from the breast of lactating women?

What do you think about drinking milk from the breast of lactating women combined with heavy squats?

White Poison: The Horrors of Milk by Shanti Rangwani MD
Got milk? If not, then thank your lucky stars. Because if you do, medical research shows that you are likely to be plagued
by anemia, migraine, bloating, gas, indigestion, asthma, prostate cancer, and a host of potentially fatal allergies –
especially if you are a person of color.

Ignoring this, the government declares that milk is essential to good health, subsidizes the milk industry to the tune of
billions of dollars, and requires milk in its public school lunch programs. And celebrity shills sporting milk moustaches tell
us that milk is rich in proteins, calcium, and vitamins – and very cool to boot.
They forget to tell you about the dangers lurking in that innocuous-looking glass of white. Once criticized only by
naturopaths and vegans, now the health effects of milk are being decried by many mainstream doctors. The supposedly
hip milk moustache is actually a creamy layer of mucus, live bacteria, and pus.

Former Chairman of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, Frank Oski, M.D. even has a book called Don’t Drink Your
Milk which blames every second health problem kids suffer on hormone-ridden commercial milk. Sixty percent of ear
infections in kids under six years of age are milk-induced, and milk consumption is the number one cause of
iron-deficiency anemia in infants today according to the American Association of Pediatrics.

But milk is also a racial issue. Almost 90 percent of African Americans and most Latinos, Asians, and Southern
Europeans lack the genes necessary to digest lactose, the primary sugar in milk. The milk industry’s response is classic:
they have launched new campaigns arguing that non-whites can digest milk if they take in small sips
during the day. There is a burgeoning industry worth $450 million a year churning out products designed to minimize
lactose intolerance.

Lactose intolerance is the most common “food allergy,” but to call it an allergy is to take a white-centric view that
trivializes the fact that most of the world’s people are not biologically designed to digest milk.
Milk does no body good, but for the vast majority of the world’s people – people of color – it is a public health disaster.
No other animal drinks cow’s milk, not even calves once they are weaned. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, the U.S.'s
leading authority on child care, spoke out against * feeding “cow’s glue” to children, saying it can cause anemia,
allergies, and diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease, the number one
cause of death in this country.

Most of milk’s much-vaunted protein is contained in casein �?? which is also a raw material for commercial glue. Undigested,
it simply sticks to the intestinal walls and blocks nutrient absorption!
The mainstream media and the government ignore the medical studies showing that milk is a serious health threat, in
part because people of color are the main victims. The institutionalization of racism is highlighted by U.S. Department of
Agriculture spokesperson Eilene Kennedy’s statement on milk, that the government’s recommended food
pyramid is intended for “the majority of Americans. It doesn’t communicate to all Americans.”

The USDA continues to require that school lunch programs include milk with every meal, and recommend that we glug
milk for calcium, even though Harvard studies show an increase in osteoporosis and bone-breakage in people who
consume milk. It says we should drink milk to prevent heart disease (and is echoed by Larry King) even
though saturated fat constitutes 55 percent of milk solids.
The dairy lobby perpetrates lies to ensure its profits. It benefits directly from the exaggerated support prices the
government shells out for this “health food.” The government pays over a billion dollars a year for surplus butter. A
General Accounting Office (GAO) study concluded that a reduction in the government price support system would have
netted consumers savings of $10.4 billion from 1986 to 2001. And the USDA pays inflated prices to purchase dairy
products for both the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and federal school lunch programs – milking the taxpayers
and actually getting them to pay for poisoning 26 million school kids.

The milk lobby has whipsawed its way into the highest echelons of power. Staffers under Richard Nixon were indicted for
accepting $300,000 from the dairy lobby for making milk part of the school lunch program.
Dr. Robert Cohen of the Dairy Education Board, a non-profit organization dedicated to exposing the milk lobby, contends
that the dramatic 52 percent rise in asthma deaths among minority kids in New York coincided with the surplus milk,
cheese, and butter pumped into them under the USDA’s free school lunch and breakfast giveaway
programs. The incidence of asthma deaths may be even higher since asthma is not a reportable disease, and asthma
deaths are sometimes certified as cardiovascular disease.

Balanced Energy System
www.bestnutrition.ca/main Powered by Joomla! Generated: 14 October, 2008, 11:47
There is also a direct link between milk consumption and prostate cancer among African Americans, who have the
highest incidence of this disease in the world. A study in Cancer has shown that men who reported drinking three or
more glasses of whole milk daily had a higher risk for prostate cancer than men who reported never drinking
whole milk.

The controversial Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH) – banned in most countries – is pumped into U.S. milk cows to
increase annual yield (50,000 pounds of milk per cow today compared to 2,000 pounds in 1959). Milk from cows treated
with BGH is likely to contain pus from their udders since the hormone leads to mastitis, or udder infection. BGH use
results in a tumor-promoting chemical (IGF-I) that has been implicated in an explosive increase of cancer of the colon,
smooth muscle, and breast.

The antibiotics dairy farmers use to treat BGH-caused infections in cows appear in their milk and greatly hasten human
tolerance to most antibiotics, a potentially life-threatening state of affairs. The Center for Science in the Public Interest
reports that 38 percent of milk samples in 10 cities were contaminated with sulfa drugs and
other antibiotics.

A fight back is beginning. Protesters picketed New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani’s planned milk promotion campaign
with a photo of the mayor wearing a milk moustache over the caption, “Got Prostate Cancer?” Giuliani (who, like his
father, has prostate cancer) dropped the campaign. And doctors from the Physicians Committee for
Responsible Medicine (PCRM) persuaded Washington, D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams not to declare May 11 as “Drink
Chocolate Milk Day” by presenting evidence that milk is harmful, especially to people of color.
The PCRM – composed of some of the leading doctors in the U.S. – has campaigned extensively in the health and
consumer press and led a successful legal effort in 1999 to make dairy products optional in the federal food guidelines.

The campaign was supported by a number of prominent civil rights organizations and leaders, including the
Congressional Black Caucus, the NAACP, Martin Luther King, III, Jesse Jackson, Jr., the National Hispanic Medical
Association, and former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders.
The dairy lobby remains cozy with most medical practitioners to perpetrate its “drink milk” propaganda. However, not one
of the 1,500 papers listed in Medicine that deal with milk points to its goodness – only to the pus, blood, antibiotics, and
carcinogens in milk, and the chronic fatigue, anemia, asthma, and autoimmune disorders milk
consumption causes.
The time has come for the milk industry to face the kind of scrutiny that the tobacco companies face today. Meanwhile,
discard the moo juice. Shanti Rangwani is an allopathic doctor and a columnist for the Times of India.Posted December
3, 2001.

borrek & anyone else wondering where to get raw milk, check this site out.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Raw milk is awesome, I hopefully will never go back to crappy store bought milk.

asnac - I had an upset stomach yesterday afternoon so I decided to make myself a kefir smoothie when I got home. Calmed my stomach right away.

No problems here from frothy milk straight from the Teat.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
What do you guys think of drinking milk from the breast of lactating women?[/quote]

It makes a great lube for pushing them together and…wait I forgot I’m not in SAMA…sorry…